Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default "Missing Belt Guard and Belt Tensioner"- a needed add-on? Flat tire strategies?

Howdy from Montana...after several months of research and careful consideration, my wife and myself purchased a new 2013 RT-SE in our favorite color, that killer blue, late in the Summer 2013. After owning for only a few short months, and having the recall heat shielding added, we have had no issues w/heat other than what you would expect from any cross-straddled bike or ATV. How important and needed are the belt tensioner and the so called missing rock guard? Montana has its share of poorly maintained two lane roads that are littered w rocks/road kill/rodents, poor cell phone signals and next to no readily available mechanical support for Spyders. What is a workable flat tire repair to get a guy to the next town? S-E Montana is unchanged w/the exception of a paved two lane since before Custer...excellent riding vistas but a bit too remote for vehicle troubles...your thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Default flat

there are a few things you can carry. i always carry a tire plug kit, but there is also something called slime or a can of flat fix. you might also need a small 12 volt air pump but with a side wall blow out or cut you will just need a tow truck
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

The rock guard is cheap insurance and very simple to install. A good value in my book.

Spyder Garage

Please don't use Slime. It is really not suitable for high speed tires, can corrode alloy wheels, and the tire dealers hate it. Ride-On does a better job, helps balance the tires, and is not as messy during a tire change.

For repairable punctures (not in the sidewall) I prefer the Stop-n-Go mushroom plug kits along with a 12V compressor. Stop-n-Go even makes a combined kit.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

as to your questions...niether one is nessesary but both are helpful. The rock gaurd is easy and fairly cheap. Have one but hard to tell how helpful never caught a rock before or after but feel better having it. Belts are not cheap and installing them either. As to the tensioner, have one also and does help with belt slap and vibrations. Holdcthe belt tighter to the sprocket leaving less gap for debris as well. Now if you have no vibration issues may not need it. Your choice, my opininon if you can get them I know your roads...jmo.!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and if you want to know any specific topic, use the search block and type whatever you want to know. on you new ride.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod