Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Fog Lights install Lamonster style

On our ride to Valcourt I was at the front of the pack and as I looked back in my mirrors I could really notice the guys who were running fog lights. They looked great and really made the Spyder standout. At that point I knew I needed to add these to my list of mods.

This is going to be a long read with lots of pictures that you can click on to make bigger. My hope is that I may be able to clear up some grey areas in the instructions that come with the fog lights. This is not a replacement for the instructions, just another tool.

The first thing you're going to read is that you need another $100 wirering harness if you're running the Xenon HID kit from BRP. I thought I would need this harness because I had the No Magic HID kit so I ordered it. Guess what, you don't need it if you have the No Magiic HID kit, you can use the harness that comes with the kit and save yourself a $100 bucks. By the way I have a great deal on a BRP HID wiring harness if you need one.

These are the parts that came with the kit plus the harness you don't need.

I'll go though the install just like they did but I may shift things around a bit and change some of the wording.

Front Storage Compartment Removal

Pop the lid on your trunk and remove the black upper cover so you can get to the diagnostic plug and everything else you're going to need to get to. Remove the plug fron the storage holder.

Now pop your seat and remove the center cover by removing the two plastic rivits in the back and the two screws in the front. Just slide it back now. You got to remove your two side covers too so it may be best to do those first so that the center cover comes off easyer.

Remove both front panels, the ones with the vents in them. I forgot to take a picture of that. There is one screw in the back and two rivits on top and one on the bottom.

Disconnect the wires going to the horn on the left side and remove the wires from the clips.

Now look on the right side and disconnect the pressure/temp sensor and wiring.

Now remove the cable that goes to the latch. I had to pry the end open a bit with a screwdriver to get the cable out.

They tell you to remove the top bolts now and then the bottom ones and you can do that because there is a lip that holds the top in place. I didn't know that so I removed the bottom two bolts first.

These are on the back side looking toward the front. It's a good idea to have a lift for this but you can do it without one.

Now you can remove the four top bolts.

Now you can pop the front off by lifting it off of the tabs.

Remove Console Assembly

This is pretty easy deal here. Just insert a small flat screwdriver in the top of the dash and while you apply a little pressure just pull out on the top corner. Do this on both sides and the whole thing just pops out.

Now unplug the harness from the cluster.

Unplug both turn signals.

Unplug the main headlight connector and move out of the way so you can take out the two bolts that hold down the center console.

Remove the two bolts at the rear of the console and slide the console forward making sure the nuts don't fall out and into the black hole.

Now you can set your console down on something soft and remove the stock wiring harness.

Fog Light Switch Installation

Now you can mount the switch to turn the lights on. On the back of the instructions there is a template to locate the hole for the switch. Cut out the template and place it on the left side and rear of the console and mark the center with something pointed.

Drill a 17/32" hole real close to 1/2" and mount the switch. If you want you can add the sticker too. Now you can wire the plug. Hold the plug in your hand like I have it and insert the blue wire on top left and the red wire on top right and both blacks on the bottom two holes. Push them in till they lock and then give them a little tug to make sure they are in and locked. on the back side install the green locking tab.

Fog Light Bezel Installation

Pry the little clips off that hold the bezel in place and replace the bezel with the new ones that came in the kit and you can reuse the old clips or use the new ones they give you.

Fog Light Assembly Installation

Now it's time to mount the money parts. On the back of the trunk you'll see two holes.

Insert the two caged nuts making sure the tab is pointing out and to the front. It will only line up the right way.

Now tou can mount the lights with the bolts that were provided.

Wiring Harness Installation

This looks worst than it really is. First thing you want to do is plug the main harness up with the relay on your left facing the front and the plug for the new switch on your right facing the front. I mounted my relay on the water hose mount. Route the rest of the wiring to both sides of the Spyder and out of the way. You can route and tie it all down after you install the trunk back on.

Now you can install the console back on making sure all the wires and cables are free. After it's bolted back in you can plug the headlights back in using the new harness, turn signal and the new switch you instslled in the dash. The plugs will only fit one way so you really can't get it wrong. Go ahead and plug the cluster back in and reinstall in the dash.

Now you can bolt the trunk back in and route the harness to the new lights. Plug your horn back in and temp sensor. Take some time now to make sure you like the way the harness is ran and then tie down any loose wires.

Now you're ready to see if they work. Man I hope so, that was a lot of work. Make sure you have a fuse in the fuse box for the fog lights. If so go ahead and start your Spyder and and test the switch and see if the lights come on. If they do you're good to go. If they don't just check the simple stuff first. Let me know if you need any help.

Spyder Garage

Boy, am I glad we had them install the foglights when they prepped our Spyder. I wouldn't have wanted to mess with this in Michigan in March. Easier for them & easier for me. Nice explanation and supplement, Lamont.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Boy, am I glad we had them install the foglights when they prepped our Spyder. I wouldn't have wanted to mess with this in Michigan in March. Easier for them & easier for me. Nice explanation and supplement, Lamont.
    -Scotty
    So what did they get for the install? My guess is that it was worth it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    So what did they get for the install? My guess is that it was worth it.
    Only charged us about an hour labor, because it was a learning experience for them. Two hours total charged for the riser, outlet, foglights, and various bags, but it took them about twice that...and they had the advantage of not having to remove the trunk.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I would say if a shop is going to charge you two hours for a install of these lights that is a fair price and you'll be ahead of the game. Now if you're like me and just like taking stuff apart that's a different story.

Spyder Garage

Great post looks like I'll be riding by months end now..

Not the desired 1st choice in color but it will work..

On the subject posted:

UPS just dropped off the Fog Lights and were surprised at the size of the box. I wasn't expecting something so long at first look at the box couldn't figure what was in the rectangular box I was figuring it would be a small square box.. None the less I'm getting excited...

RT-S PE#0085
    Spyder Garage

My dealer put them on for nothing. Afterwards, he said he wouldn't do that again.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default trunk

Thank you much LAMONSTER. Very good directions.
    I love this site.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default trunk

Thanks to all of you for the info and input.
    I love this site.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

how long would you say for somewhat mechanically savy person to do this?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    how long would you say for somewhat mechanically savy person to do this?
    3 hours + or -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ok ok next weekend thank you
    spyder went in for first service and honda of hollywood said bring fog lights in we will install it for 45buck since alot of panels will be off anyway but
    they changed story when i took them in they said "oh no it will be 135 dollars" because not many front panels are comming off
    so i will be doing it myself
    i also have to do alarm underbody light, change bulbs on head,tail,turn lights and extra amber marker light on the side whew
    they wanted $350 to do fog lights,change bulbs and alarm despite most of panels are off because they are changing fuel tank
    seems my gas fume came from leaky tank. they pointed out where it was leaking from and i swiped my finger underneath and got a fingerful of gas it was underneath the fold where upper and lower piece is comes together.
    BRP was very interested i think they wanted the leaky tank over-nighted
    been a week still waiting for the new tank

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Just glad fog lights were already installed and just had to install NMN HID kit and neaten things up so easy a Caveman can do it other than these HID burning a whole through my garage door there great 20 amp fuse recommended after install.
    Last edited by Roaddog2; 05-17-2009 at 07:02 AM. Reason: fuse

srspyder

I purchased my spyder and the fog lights were installed already, I am upgrading to the BRP HID's and was wondering, since I didnt install the fogs myself, did they give you a prewired wiring harness. I am wondering if the BRP HID and FOG light used in conjunction, if its a completely new wiring harness.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by srspyder View Post
    I purchased my spyder and the fog lights were installed already, I am upgrading to the BRP HID's and was wondering, since I didnt install the fogs myself, did they give you a prewired wiring harness. I am wondering if the BRP HID and FOG light used in conjunction, if its a completely new wiring harness.
    Have you considered the No Magic Neon HIDs? Not only do you get a great product a whole lot cheaper, but Evan would be happy to talk through the technical details of your particular installation and needs over the phone.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

do you have a vido on fender tips kit to turn fender lights in to dercksonals and running lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wanted to get a set of the stock fog light and install them myself but if this is what I have to go though to do the job I will have to re-think about this now, have no desire to pull the whole front and dash apart to get them in. I will find another set that will fit and does not require such a gray hair job.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Replace BRP Fog Lights with NMN Fog Lights?

Does anyone have the instructions/pictures of what needs to be done for installing the NMN fog lights. The dealer installed the origional BRP fog lights so I'm at a loss for the install and what needs to be done for the installation of the NMN replacements?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fun2 View Post
    Does anyone have the instructions/pictures of what needs to be done for installing the NMN fog lights. The dealer installed the origional BRP fog lights so I'm at a loss for the install and what needs to be done for the installation of the NMN replacements?
    it's pretty easy
    you need to take off black side panels and forward panels where fog lights are housed. black side panels are held by 4 screws each and forward panels have 1 screw and 4 plastic fastner thingy( i don't know what they are called) 2 on top and 2 on bottom. use a flat head screw driver to lift inner part of the "thingy" then pull out the whole "thingy". once panels are off hid is direct plug-in into the factory harness. twist off the bulbs, unplug it from harness and plug in the hid ballast and hid bulb to the ballast, twist in the hid bulbs and you are done. ofcourse, secure the ballst and put the panels back on^^
    Last edited by aka1004; 06-05-2009 at 06:38 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    I wanted to get a set of the stock fog light and install them myself but if this is what I have to go though to do the job I will have to re-think about this now, have no desire to pull the whole front and dash apart to get them in. I will find another set that will fit and does not require such a gray hair job.
    it took me 4 hours for the install but if i did it again i would say 2 or less.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by srspyder View Post
    if you get brp's hid and fog lights you do need a different harness from brp and that by itself is 100bucks. brp's hid is so expensive anyway.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HID Upgrade from BRP to NMN head Lights and Fog Lights

I just have the regular BRP Head and fog lights, I'm going NMN HID's with both head and fog lights for the up grade. Their products that I have already purchased are 2d to none and work fantastic. NMN

Spyder Garage

Red face

Thank heavens both HID and fog lights were installed before I bought my Spyder. Looks like quite a job.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bought a used kit, it appears to have everything that is pictured in the first photo BUT two plastic housings in the photo

I just wanted to be sure that these two items are supposed to be in the kit before I go back to the guy I purchased the kit from.

I did not have the install instuctions either but I was going to follow this thread to install them

Here is a crop of the missing housing items from my kit:

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

welcome
    The picture is cropped/cut, can you re-posted?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!