Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool 2011 - Additional Benefit from Exhaust Wrapping

I had my RT-L 2011, SE-5 exhaust system piping wrapped in 1 inch wide heat tape fabric ti try to kill some of the under skin heat away. When I went to pick it up they had to drive it out of the storage warehouse and I thought that doesn't sound like my Spyder. But it was! Headed home I was noticing everything sounded quieter almost like my last GW. By the time I got home I was firmly convinced the wrap knocked a whole lot of noise down and I like it.....

Anyone else done this and noticed a difference?????

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat

I wrapped mine myself and all I noticed was a BIG drop in body heat
    mostly on the left side but nothing with engine noise.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool 2011 - Additional Benefit from Exhaust Wrapping #1

Dave

I was so surorised at the reduction in exhaust noise that the whole 5 miles from the dealership to the garage door to figure out what was missing. It was the siunds of exhaust noise banging through the pipes. I know that a lot of the guys are going to say I am halllucinating or on drugs but it is definitely a quieter sounding engine. The big question in my mind now is will it last.

If this fix doesn't solve some or al of the heat problem I think my next effort will involve my 4 inch diameter hole saw and the back bottom cover. 4 inch diameter hole will let a lot of air through itself. May have to extend the front lip of the rear most panel to scoop more air but that will be an easy fix just some aluminum bar stock and pop rivets. See if I can remember some more tricks from my brief time in Smokey Yunick's race shop days back in the early 60's.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What did you wrap the pipes with? Did a dealer do it for you?? I have been looking at DEI stuff from Summit racing.
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Addict; 10-03-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine definitely quieted down after wrapping. A bit more throaty sounding too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would like to see some pics of this done. How did you get to the pipes to wrap them?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's great, have some pictures? Where are you using the 4' hole saw?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Pipe wrapping

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    I would like to see some pics of this done. How did you get to the pipes to wrap them?
    I had mine done by my servicing dealership. What I can see from using a telescoping mirror an mini-mag flash lite" he must have removed some of the exhaust piping and wrapped the connecting joints by hand. The heat wrap was one nch wide by fifty feet long and he used it all. Plus I counted twelve mini hose clamps to hold in place the loose ends.

Spyder Garage

I wrapped mine at home and it did make a change to the "tone" of the exhaust. I have the Akrapovic muffler which also has a different tone. Mostly it reduce heat which is why I wrapped it to start with so bonus! lol

Spyder Garage

I have been very pleased with the heat reduction from wrapping my exhaust. Pipes had to come out. I did not like the DEI wrap as it seemed too fragile and if you pulled it tight while wrapping, it shredded. Went with the Thermotec Copper and it was much easier to use. Also recommend the 2" wrap as its easier to get the required overlap and keep the job neat.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Quieter..!!

the stainless steel pipes will resonate a lot and wrapping them will cut down on the noise. It may vary with the materials used but all will to some degree..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

gonna cost over $500 to have dealer wrap mine... is it worth it down here in Texas?

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post
    gonna cost over $500 to have dealer wrap mine... is it worth it down here in Texas?
    That depends on how much you enjoy the extra heat, boiling gas, lower mileage and shorter riding season.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post

If they are removing the pipes (major job IMO) and wrapping correctly it would take some time and time adds up $$$

I did mine in place, wrapped what I could, got all but right at the connecting ends.

Definitely a bit quieter, hopefully save some parts from failing prematurely from heat soak.

My bike was never really hot before, but only have under a 1000 miles on it so far.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Dave

I was so surorised at the reduction in exhaust noise that the whole 5 miles from the dealership to the garage door to figure out what was missing. It was the siunds of exhaust noise banging through the pipes. I know that a lot of the guys are going to say I am halllucinating or on drugs but it is definitely a quieter sounding engine. The big question in my mind now is will it last.

If this fix doesn't solve some or al of the heat problem I think my next effort will involve my 4 inch diameter hole saw and the back bottom cover. 4 inch diameter hole will let a lot of air through itself. May have to extend the front lip of the rear most panel to scoop more air but that will be an easy fix just some aluminum bar stock and pop rivets. See if I can remember some more tricks from my brief time in Smokey Yunick's race shop days back in the early 60's.
    I looked at cutting a hole or louvering
    The splash gaurd but decided that since the gas tank is only a 1/4 in away and fills all the space arround it no air would get thru
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Dave

Wrapping the pipes did seem to keep some of the exhaust noise from resonating through the pipes, I also covered everything but the pipes with newspaper and sprayed them with the exhaust wrap spray, seemed to preserve it from loosening or deteriorating, it's been on my 08 for 6 years now and still looks good.
    Your mention of Smokey Yunick brought back memories of my 64 Chevelle, I had one of Smokeys intakes on there for a bit, a 2 piece, low profile, staggered dual quad cross ram.

Spyder Garage

I've wrapped the pipes on my '12 RT and will put a gutted Cat on in place of the original Cat.

Would it be any benefit to wrapping the (3) short sections of pipe on the Cat?

And what about some sort of insulation around, or at least on the top of the "box" itself?

Mike in KY