Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change on 2013 ST-L

...After discovering missing panel bolts and replacing damaged bottom cover-plate due to improper re-install by dealer and having to add qt of oil 1200 miles after second oil change, I've decided to DIY..

I've purchased both filters, O-rings, crush nuts and 5qts of Castro synthetic oil.. Bike has 9200mi.. This will be 3rd oil change...

What size/type tools do I need... I plan to purchase craftsman torque wrench...
    All tips appreciated...
    Thanks,

Spyder Garage

I haven't done mine before, but would like to hear what is required and how messy it is. Lol

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Nice write up

Wish it showed the other filter mentioned for the Electronic trans.

Spyder Garage

Doing your own oil a change is a piece of cake after the first one and that is the one the teaches you where everything is.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Nice write up

Wish it showed the other filter mentioned for the Electronic trans.
    Completed oil change.. Took my time ,no rush, no problems... The tranny filter was very easy to access and the main filter was not difficult to remove... I did find it convenient to raise the bike a couple inches... I used paper towels to catch few drops of oil from tranny filter...
    also had to angle the back-end of the larger filter upward to install, same with removal of large filter...
    6mm hex on both drains... Slightly smaller hex on the 2 filter bolts... No plans to re-install the bottom cover ( that was somewhat difficult to remove)....

Again, thanks for all the help!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Chg Tip

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I haven't done mine before, but would like to hear what is required and how messy it is. Lol
    Not sure about the '13 models but for the '12 RT go to one of the big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc) and purchase a length of 1 1/4" outside diameter, 1" inside diameter clear vinyl tubing. Cut off a piece about 2-3 inches long and insert it in the hole in the plate below the oil tank drain plug before removing the plug. Keeps all oil off the plate...works like a charm!
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Have not changed oil yet on the new ST but I assume same stupid bolts that use a allen wrench to remove. replace the two bolts with ones with standard HEX nut head. magnetic for the engine and if you want mag for the oil res tank. you should be able to find them at Pep Boys.
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just did mine and it does help to get the bike up on something. I used a 2x8 piece of lumber cut into 14" blocks and lifted the bike up onto a couple of blocks so the bike is 3" higher. Removed the 3 covers and bottom plate. Torx screws and plastic rivets. (the bottom plate has 2 rivets that hold it to the center frame)

My next oil change I'm going to try a funnel to contain the oil under the oil tank so it doesn't spill all over. Thinking of getting a zip lok baggie on the engine filter so when I pull it out and up I can keep the drips from getting all over the other tubes and parts. Just turn baggie inside out and use it to grab the filter and as you pull it out the baggie gets pushed on and you end up getting filter inside baggie. (kinda like picking up after your dog) I use my bicycle torque wrench to tighten the drain bolts but couldn't find how much to tighten the filter bolts. So I snugged them down and will check them in a few days.

Here's a picture of the 2 filters, one right in front and the engine one recessed. You will need a long allen tool to get to them.

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One other thing, Is there an oil screen in the tank that we should clean? I caught a video on youtube that didn't show much of an oil change but did mention a stick like screen that would need cleaning.

Thanks
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Caution..!!

you have what you need from above but if you do it yourself I suggest you replace each filter one at a time. The bolts holding the covers on are different lengths and can cause problems if reversed. I also like to pull the bottom plates and wash off the whole area after the change to avoid drip build up or drips later..it is quite easy and once you do your first you will be a pro...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    One other thing, Is there an oil screen in the tank that we should clean? I caught a video on youtube that didn't show much of an oil change but did mention a stick like screen that would need cleaning.

Thanks
    Yes, there is an oil screen where the pump supply hose connects at the bottom of the oil tank. You'll need a new clamp to replace the Oetiker clamp. You should also have a new O-ring handy, just in case. It is the same as the one for the dipstick. The maintenance schedule used to call for cleaning the screen at 600 miles and then every 12,000, but I don't know if that has changed with the revised schedules.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

MelloYelloSpyder

Anyone just leaving the bottom plastic panels off like Lamont did in his write up?? Think I might just do that. Have heard of a few others doing this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MelloYelloSpyder View Post
    Anyone just leaving the bottom plastic panels off like Lamont did in his write up?? Think I might just do that. Have heard of a few others doing this.

I leave the left panel off. The one under the oil tank. It has been off almost since new. I left the right side panel on.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS