Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Simple solution to wiring a GPS

I purchased a Magellan GPS mount from Leader listed on the home page and got the GPS installed. Looking for a simple way to wire it up I found this adaptor at Orielly's auto parts. This adaptor plugs into the Battery Tender charge adaptor that is already in my frunk. I can plug in the lighter adaptor and the tuck it into the mesh pouch and when not needed just unplug it. The adaptor from Orielly's was less than 6 bucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

It sounds like you have already figured out the solution. Am I right? If not and you do find a way of permanently wire it somewhere, could you please share it with us? I'd like to do the same on my RT.
    Thanks,
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Spyder Garage

Looking to see where/how you ran the power cord from gps to Frunk? Have gps ram mount installed, gps holds power for only 20 minutes, need to run power source without it becoming a huge undertaking. Also everyone keeps saying there is a plug in the front, not sure where.

Thanks for sharing.
    I Love my
    Linda
    RTS SE5 2012 Red
    GOS member 871

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up GPS

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    I purchased a Magellan GPS mount from Leader listed on the home page and got the GPS installed. Looking for a simple way to wire it up I found this adaptor at Orielly's auto parts. This adaptor plugs into the Battery Tender charge adaptor that is already in my frunk. I can plug in the lighter adaptor and the tuck it into the mesh pouch and when not needed just unplug it. The adaptor from Orielly's was less than 6 bucks.
    What is the model of your GPS would like to get one but know for the money BRP wants.
    2012 RT-SE5 , MAD wires an NGK plugs bLUE

Spyder Garage

I removed the left side upper panel and ran the wire down from the steering area to the left side fuse block in the frunk. There is no good way to get the wire in the trunk so mine shares the grommet with the "battery tender pigtail" you may or may not have this on yours. My dealer installs one on every Spyder they sell. That pig tail is a fused 12v source but it is NOT switched it's live all the time. I can plug my GPS lighter adaptor right into the adaptor that's plugged into the battery tender pig tail, if I don't want the GPS powered up I just open the frunk and unplug it. The GPS I got for my Spyder is a Magellan 2136T-LM and I found it at Wal-Mart for $80 bucks and it has lifetime maps. Looking back now I should have spent a little more and got one with Bluetooth so it could be heard with a helmet on. If you have the accessory plug in your front trunk you will not need the adaptor in the picture just plug into that socket and your done.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 rts and I bought a lighter plug from Oreilly's with a rubber cap. Mounted it in the right hand speaker grill, pulled the right side mirror off and fished the wires down thru the panel to the frunk and wired it in on the ignition side. Works great.
    Better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. Abraham Lincoln

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Simple solution, Wiring GPS

Under drivers seat on my 2011 RT-S is a charging port on left side. Simply plug your adaptor in there and run the outlet wherever you wish it. I installed mine in glove box after removing foam liner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ffowlesr View Post
    Under drivers seat on my 2011 RT-S is a charging port on left side. Simply plug your adaptor in there and run the outlet wherever you wish it. I installed mine in glove box after removing foam liner.
    The charging pigtails are not OEM equipment. They are added by owners or dealers.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

To get a more permanent solution I took off the windshield and the top of the dash, tied the "cigarette lighter adaptor" into the wires for the fuel gauge. Now my GPS has power when the key is on and off when the key is off. All the wiring is hidden under the dash. Oh, I relocated the GPS to the top of the dash with a RAM mount like Lamont did, much easier to see there. Search it because he has a video on this mounting location.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    To get a more permanent solution I took off the windshield and the top of the dash, tied the "cigarette lighter adaptor" into the wires for the fuel gauge. Now my GPS has power when the key is on and off when the key is off. All the wiring is hidden under the dash. Oh, I relocated the GPS to the top of the dash with a RAM mount like Lamont did, much easier to see there. Search it because he has a video on this mounting location.
    Do you have the audio plugged into the radio? Does your GPS have an audio out jack? If the jack is there and you haven't connected it into the radio read my postings on installing a non-BRP GPS. It's nice having the come through the radio.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)