Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default "NannyGate" ... who will solve the VSS issues

I know there are others in the Spyder community that would like to have a solution for the VSS / Nanny , kicking in and mitigating . I like the ABS (anti-lock brakes) but most of the other VSS ... i could do without ... or at least ... a controller (dialing in sensitivity) ... anyone want to chime in ?!! ...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking about that yesterday. I had the chance for a quick turn-around in the gravel on the side of the road. I went heavy on the throttle, turned the wheel, and popped the clutch. I was hopping for a nice controlled power slide. I was very disappointed. The VSS kicked in and it sounded like the bike was sick, and badly needed a tune-up.

Conversely, when I did the demo ride, I used the instructors bike. On a paved road, I openned it up and laid 15 foot of rubber down from a dead stop and the VSS never kicked in. I wonder if their versions were altered some?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I thinks it's 31 mph according to the FRONT wheels not the back....

According to the VP of BRP they wanted to leave some fun in the spyd3r...

2faston3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    The VSS kicks in if rear wheel spin exceeds 31mph and/or when steering is not close to center (don't know how many degrees)
    5 degrees off center it kicks the Nanny in

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Now if that's the case, we should be able to put these things on a dyno if you could find one it fits on
    You could run it on a dyno, up to 31 mph, then the nanny would kick in, unless youve got rollers that drive the fronty wheels at the same speed as the rear is turning.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3rdr View Post
    I like the ABS (anti-lock brakes) but most of the other VSS ... i could do without ... or at least ... a controller (dialing in sensitivity) ... anyone want to chime in ?!! ...
    While cruising down the local Interstate on my way to work one fine morning I got stuck behind a yokel going 55 mph in the left lane of a three-lane stretch. Looking thru her rear window, I could see she was juggling a cell phone, hair brush, coffee and Egg McMuffin. I guess if you're going 55 in the left lane you don't have to worry about that annoying traffic in front of you allowing you to concentrate on breakfast, makeup and calling the kid's teacher...

Anyway, as soon as I had what I judged enough space in the middle lane, I nailed the throttle to go around the bimbo on the right. WHOA THERE TRIGGER! Apparently the Spyder has more than enough power to break the rear wheel loose on wet pavement (had an early morning shower, but it wasn't raining at the time) -- at highway speed in fifth gear!

Luckily, ye olde nanny kicked in before anything untoward happened. But, I can tell you when Spydie gets sideways at highway speed in traffic, the vacuum created between your fanny and the seat becomes rather powerful...

My concern for an "adjustable" system would be accidentally forgetting to turn it back to "max" sensitivity. Perhaps BRP might devise a system that resets everytime you shut the Spyder down.

Regards,

Mark

Spyder Garage

What if you tied all wheel sensors to one?

Maybe on a three way thumb control switch that you could have
    manual control when needed.

Some of us has talked about this before,would it be possible to
    fool it with tieing all three wheel sensors to one wheel input?

That would not help the tilt sensor from kicking in but it would
    fool the wheel spin.

I know it is possible because I have seen all sensors disabled with
    one switch and was told it would take less than a hour to do.

So it would have to be a input override, bypass some how.

Nobody is going to make anything we can buy to do this because
    of the liability issue.

But I know many times I could have used a momentary bypass pulling out
    into traffic and the nanny kicked in and leave me right in the middle of traffic
    with my rear end sucking wind.

Nexus

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NEXUS View Post
    But I know many times I could have used a momentary bypass pulling out into traffic and the nanny kicked in and leave me right in the middle of traffic with my rear end sucking wind.
    The question is, if you didn't have the VSS would you instead have spun out and wound up pointed in the wrong direction?

Regards,

Mark

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NEXUS View Post
    What if you tied all wheel sensors to one?

Nexus
    I wonder if you'd also want to bypass the steering angle sensor.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3rdr View Post
    I know there are others in the Spyder community that would like to have a solution for the VSS / Nanny , kicking in and mitigating . I like the ABS (anti-lock brakes) but most of the other VSS ... i could do without ... or at least ... a controller (dialing in sensitivity) ... anyone want to chime in ?!! ...
    I'd love to be able to pick modes kind of like I can in my Corvette. Normal, Competition, and off... but probably with some fine tuning in between.

Have it reset when you turn the bike off (as you suggest) and be something you have to physically choose. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Spyder Garage

... Aybody ever look at the speedo during a burnout? ...
    I can't look at the speedo when I'm ripping one........dang smile gets in the way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An informant who might have had something to do with selling me the spyder says(off the record for liability purposes) he knows someone that has hacked the chip and can disable the system...I am not real interested in this, but I can check into it if someone here is?
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I wish the VSS would just sound a warning buzzer, similar to the stall warning buzzer in an aircraft. Then I could take corrective action myself.

I've thought about putting switches on the A-arms of my dual sport trike conversions to tell me when the shock is maxed out and when a wheel is about to lift, and sound a buzzer. Haven't done that yet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was riding on a very wet dirt road and hit one of those spots that are best described as "sloppy muck" as I came around a corner. The Spyder went sidways and before I could even THINK about a steering corection, the nanny had recognised, analized and SOLVED the problem!!!!!

I mean all I had time to do was FEEL it breaking loose, and the bike had applied the outside brake and literally put the bike back on it's origonal tragectory. I can live with the occasional unwanted nanny help when this kind of intervention is available ALL the time.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Tell me more please........
    Guess I might wanna upgrade that life insurance policy on you huh?

I think you need to save up and go and buy your OWN Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm...I don't want to cause a rift here...although you did like the Trirod Smilynacha...essentially the spyder would behave the same...did you watch any video of the Trirod antics?
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Yes I watched it and loved it but the way my husband rides - well he worries me sometimes - he's a little out there - he rides harder than anyone I know and sometimes it scares the crap out of me. I like a good ride too but not like he does.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife is very happy not to see me NOT dragging knees around the corner...so I know what you mean!
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Spyder drifting would be pretty cool......
    I've literally seen him do that on the Harley. and when I do - I just stay behind - WAY behind. I like speed but not sideways LOL!

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    My wife is very happy not to see me NOT dragging knees around the corner...so I know what you mean!
    When I see him do that when we ride I need
    when we get home to calm my nerves

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I used to ride like that on my Harleys for awhile, then I found out you could get bikes that actually had things like suspension, handling and braking and realized how swift I WASN't being.....Harley brakes are inadequate at best maybe even downright scarey and if your draggin a knee on a Fatboy like I used to, your pushing the bike BEYOND it's limitations, it's called a cruiser for a reason. But then again if you saw the Worlds Fastest Indian you see that sometimes it don't matter all that much, depends on how much of a death wish you have, that and brass tacks.