Spyder Garage

Default FRONT TIRE LIFT ?

My wife and I were making a left-hand turn out of a parking lot today. We were pulling onto a 2 Lane Hwy. The speed limit on the highway is 55 miles an hour. Cars are traveling pretty quick I saw my opening rolled on the throttle to make a left-hand turn given some extra acceleration to get out into the traffic. When I did the left tire came up off the ground felt to be almost about 18 inches. No indicator lights of VSS came on at all. Has anybody else experienced this and did I do something wrong?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP
    Last edited by RBS66; 09-29-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Everything has to be just right but yes I have done it several times, isn`t it fun. I have it down to an art now. It will not let you get to crazy before it shuts down.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StriperKing View Post
    Everything has to be just right but yes I have done it several times, isn`t it fun. I have it down to an art now. It will not let you get to crazy before it shuts down.
    It was a crazy feeling!!

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    It was a crazy feeling!!
    I too have done the same thing by giving it too much throttle going into a sharp turn......but has always turned out well. It is a little unnerving though!!
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default AND

So.....how do you do it......you have to let us know. I've never done that and sounds very fun

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greatrides View Post
    So.....how do you do it......you have to let us know. I've never done that and sounds very fun
    Not sure what I did. Didn't think I was doing anything out of the ordinary. Just pulling out into traffic. Don't really want to experience it again !

Spyder Garage

A few inches feel like a foot. It is unlikely that you got it higher than 6" off the ground.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    A few inches feel like a foot. It is unlikely that you got it higher than 6" off the ground.

If you don't have one already, a BajaRon swaybar will reduce the lean and lifting. I'd also suggest learning to accelerate after you straighten or begin to straighten the bars. Some heavy weight transfer by leaning to the inside of the turn will help, too. The harder you turn and accelerate the more you need to lean...or shift your weight off the seat. If you ride a 2012 or earlier, make sure your front suspension preload settings are high enough. #5 is none too stiff with a passenger and no Ron bar. I'd also recommend some parking lot practice, following the skills course in your manual. It forces you to make tight turns and get the feel for lifting a wheel, the VSS kicking in, what the kill switch feels like, etc. You'll be more comfortable with the Spyer's habits and capabilities soon.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Relax a bit..!!

believe it or not there are those that try hard to manage a wheel lift. Be proud, you did it without trying. Now don't. Don't think it is that much fun myself but my wife really dislikes it. But like mentioned before try not to power out before you are straight or getting there. The nanny does a great job keeping things on the ground and tracking true. Practice will help you a great deal...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black