Thread: 6.6 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default 6.6 gallons

the stats show the RT carries 6.6 gallons of gas, today i was riding and wanted to push it until the low fuel light came on. so at 122.9 miles the low light came on and i got off the highway and found a station. the bike took 4.54 gallons so i figured it is getting 27.9 MPG. does this sound right and has anyone waited until the light came on and noticed around how many miles you had on the trip meter when it did. THANKS---JOHN
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The USEABLE amount of tank space is actually about 6 gallons...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The 2008-2013 Spyder fuel tank capacity is listed at 6.6 gallons, but the usable capaicty is 6.0 gallons. The remainder is necessary venting and head space, or is abobe the fill opening. The low fuel light will come on with about 1.5 gallons of fuel remaining, meaning if you fill immediately it will take around 4.5 at best. What you are seeing is very typical.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

so do all models of spyders 2008-2012 have the same tank? i have only run down till the light came on once , nice to know for sure if i still had 1.5 gallons left .2009 GS SE5 .thanks

Spyder Garage

Sounds on the money to me.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Mileage on RS

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Sounds on the money to me.

Chris
    Back in Florida, we were taking a nice ryde with many Spyder friends! One with a 2011 RS who pushed the mileage out to 180 miles when he ran out of gas! So we all had to take a break till we could continue!Road Stop.jpg
    Sue & Mike
    RTS-SE6 Limited (Congac)
    Hot Springs Village, Ar.

Billet Spyder license plate, grip buddies, Shortee antenna, XM Radio, air deflectors, cb radio, sheepskin seat cover.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I was returning home from a trip to the Upper Peninsula Mi, towing the BRP trailer total wt running at 1720 lbs ( I GOTTA LOSE WT) fILLED up in Hannibal Mo. Light came on at the city limit of Cuba Mo and went 1,7 mi to where I filled up with 132.9 mi and put in 5.345 gal. Was the most I'd put in ever!! got 24.86 mpg. For a little over 3000 mi I got about 25 or 26 mpg average figured milage but had two diff answers one was 26.93 mpg the other was 25.905. Still not sure what I did to come up with those numbers. BUT figured NOT BAD considering the wt I was hauling around and since I was going NORTH--- I WAS GOING UPHILL--- ---RIGHT???? no?

Spyder Garage

Haven't checked lately but was getting a little over 30mpg 2 up. Just checked recent trip which I hadn't computed yet. 695.3 miles 30.74 mpg loaded with 2 up.
    Last edited by Showie; 09-29-2013 at 04:14 PM.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The 2008-2013 Spyder fuel tank capacity is listed at 6.6 gallons, but the usable capaicty is 6.0 gallons. The remainder is necessary venting and head space, or is abobe the fill opening. The low fuel light will come on with about 1.5 gallons of fuel remaining, meaning if you fill immediately it will take around 4.5 at best. What you are seeing is very typical.

As always, good info. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do think that they've squeezed a little more useable capacity into the 2014s...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I do think that they've squeezed a little more useable capacity into the 2014s...
    Yep, at least into the RT's.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default gas milage

While ridding today,the light came on at 140 miles,gassed up at 150 miles,it took 5 gal.When I ride here in Ohio,I allways go until the light comes on.You are never more than 10 or 20 miles from a station.My light usally comes on around 130 or 140 miles unless I am on the freeway, then it will come on around 110 or120.

Spyder Garage

Best I have gotten so far is 25mpg. I do have some mixed driving but average 30mph. Maybe I need to throttle up slower......nah too much fun leaving the cars behind at stop lights. Usually when I get the light it is 4.5-4.8 gal to fill. and ~120mi on the trip meter I reset at each fill up.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by suenmikez View Post
    Back in Florida, we were taking a nice ryde with many Spyder friends! One with a 2011 RS who pushed the mileage out to 180 miles when he ran out of gas! So we all had to take a break till we could continue!Road Stop.jpg
    Hey Kenny, he's talking about you!

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

We ryde an RS 2012 sm5 and average 33 mpg solo and 31 mpg double up. Have gotten up to 186 miles to a gas station and still had a drop or two. Lots of variables in the mpg issue. But you can't get 6.6 gallons in your tank. RT 2014 has 3/10 ths of a gallon more (I think) but the ace engine will get about 220 miles to a tank (actually) they claim 250+...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We ryde our 2012 RT Limited SE5 2-up about half the time, but not usually very fast, only 55-65 most of the time. I set my trip meter at each fill and look to refill at 160 miles max. So I just checked back in my records and found that for 14 tanks in a row I averaged just over 150 miles, pumped 5.25 gallons each time, and averaged 29.6 mpg. I hear there is about 30 miles worth left when the low-fuel lamp comes on, so I try to check for that against my "planned" 160 miles, and usually it's right on. I can run til the gauge is on E or lower by watching the miles.

I've never run out yet, but I do carry my cell phone just in case! 7,500+ miles and counting...
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I read somewhere that the new tank capacity was 6.9 gals. YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    the stats show the RT carries 6.6 gallons of gas, today i was riding and wanted to push it until the low fuel light came on. so at 122.9 miles the low light came on and i got off the highway and found a station. the bike took 4.54 gallons so i figured it is getting 27.9 MPG. does this sound right and has anyone waited until the light came on and noticed around how many miles you had on the trip meter when it did. THANKS---JOHN
    Your in the ballpark. I still average about 30 mpg one up on the RT's. My last tank, the light went on at 135 miles.

My longest was filled up at 180 miles and it took 5.8 gallons (31 mpg). I rode with the low fuel light for awhile and the analog gauge was below the empty mark. I now use the digital guages. Most times I fill at about 150 miles and put in close to 5 gallons. YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 7.13 gallons

How come the pdf brochure on the BRP website shows the 2010 RS with a capacity of 7.13 US gallons?
    Is it an error?
    Here's the link:

http://www.spyder.brp.com/previous-models

Scroll down to model year 2010. Click on the red link to download the pdf for the RS. The specifications are on the last page.
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post

You had about 52 miles left before you had to walk.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Web Runner View Post
    How come the pdf brochure on the BRP website shows the 2010 RS with a capacity of 7.13 US gallons?
    Is it an error?
    Here's the link:

http://www.spyder.brp.com/previous-models

Scroll down to model year 2010. Click on the red link to download the pdf for the RS. The specifications are on the last page.
    It is an error.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have been checking my mileage pretty regularly. I use my RT a lot to commute to work and in some cases am stuck on the freeway in traffic. Thus I don't expect to get good mileage. But I am getting 30.2 MPG right now.
    2011 RTS with 2300 miles on it. Probably not fully broke in.

But can I add something? An opinion and observation?
    Gas mileage goes down if you baby this motor! I listened to Scotty and others here about shifting and RPM.
    My mileage when I was shifting at 4500 to 5000 we DISMAL! Like 27 mpg and sometimes worse.
    Now that I have gotten pretty use to my Spyder and what it likes, the last 2 weeks I have amp'ed it up and now shift at 6K.

Sorry to say.... this motor likes to rev!
    It runs cooler, better gas mileage, sounds better, and let me tell you, when you need to gun it, it really takes off above 6K.
    In fact one time because I was in a "spot", I got it to 8K before shifting. You know, one of those situations that makes you forget to shift because your avoiding an idiot! Wow did this thing get on it above 6K! I never knew it had that much to give!
    Sorry I am a Spyder n00b and still learning honestly so if this comment sounds stupid, fine.

Anything lower than 5K in my opinion is bogging the poor thing!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black