Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Lost my key yesterday. Where and how do I store an extra key on my RT

Yesterday while in Morgan, Utah I lost my key. I know this is my fault as I did not switch my spare key from my other jacket at our base camp in Park City.

Where and how do I store an extra key so I avoid this stupid mistake?

I called the Can Am Dealer in Ogden,Utah and asked if they could come start my 2012 RT Limited so I could drive it to their dealership and have a new key made.
    They said no, I would have to bring it to the dealer, which meant I would have to arrange for towing. I was unsure of the proper way to tow the bike since all storage compartments were locked and the parking brake was on. Yes, I know, I did not read the instructions in the guide. After about a half hour talking back and forth, they told me they could not make a new key and that they would have to replace the entire ignition switch. They also told me they did not have an ignition switch and were not sure how to get one.

At this point I had delayed the days ride enough. I told the other 5 riders to continue their ride for the day and I would wait for one of them to bring my spare key, which was in my other jacket from where we were staying in Park City.

Needless to say, this wasted a lot of time and upset the other riders even though they were nice about it.

My question is, is this the type of service to expect from the dealers while on the road. I was willing to pay anything they wanted but they could not help me.

Spyder Garage

Default Key

Go and get a generic key make from any locksmith and then get a climbers locking hook and clip it some where under the spyder on left side of foot peg on the frame as there is a hole there.
    Then put your extra spyder key in your trunk or frunk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Master View Post
    Yesterday while in Morgan, Utah I lost my key. I know this is my fault as I did not switch my spare key from my other jacket at our base camp in Park City.

Where and how do I store an extra key so I avoid this stupid mistake?

I called the Can Am Dealer in Ogden,Utah and asked if they could come start my 2012 RT Limited so I could drive it to their dealership and have a new key made.
    They said no, I would have to bring it to the dealer, which meant I would have to arrange for towing. I was unsure of the proper way to tow the bike since all storage compartments were locked and the parking brake was on. Yes, I know, I did not read the instructions in the guide. After about a half hour talking back and forth, they told me they could not make a new key and that they would have to replace the entire ignition switch. They also told me they did not have an ignition switch and were not sure how to get one.

At this point I had delayed the days ride enough. I told the other 5 riders to continue their ride for the day and I would wait for one of them to bring my spare key, which was in my other jacket from where we were staying in Park City.

Needless to say, this wasted a lot of time and upset the other riders even though they were nice about it.

My question is, is this the type of service to expect from the dealers while on the road. I was willing to pay anything they wanted but they could not help me.
    The dealer cannot make a key that will work without one of your old working keys. So if you lose both your keys it will take $800 to $1,000 to fix. It is not the dealers fault. This is in your owners manual. First step is to get your spare key and get another one made and get the Spyder reprogrammed to accept it. You can duct tape it to the inside of a body panel somewhere it will take tools to get to. If you want three keys the third key can be a clone and there are threads on this topic.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I can't speak for how any dealers might treat any of us on the road but I might offer a couple of hints that might help you to avoid being caught in this situation again. 1) I carry a spare key on the bike in a location which I won't disclose but it's simple to locate. For example, you might put one in your toolbag which is under the seat and is locked. 2) I had 2 chipless spare keys made at a local locksmith. They won't start the bike but they will unlock everything including the seat. I carry one in my pocket and my wife carries one her pocket. So, in order to be stranded, we would have to simultaneously lose three keys and that's not likely to happen. In fact, it's possible to open the seat without a key so, if my key was actually in my toolbag, I could get to it without a key at all. One other thing, should you break a key, a chipless key will turn the ignition and the bike can be started by holding the broken key including the chip against the switch. Sorry, this doesn't help you in your current situation but it may help prevent it in the future. Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I keep a chipped spare in the top trunk...
    and two unchipped spares where I can guarantee their location on the bike should the need arise...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Key Covers

Go to this website and get some key covers and look for these ( BMW 3 BUTTON REMOTE KEY SILICONE RUBBER CASE COVERS ) Make sure you get these one as they fit the spyder key.

FOBKEYLESS.COM
    1-866-944-5397

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They work very well!

Spyder Garage

Since my wife and I each ride, I have her carry a spare key. Maybe next time you could ask one of the other riders to carry a spare key for you. Just a thought.
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Spyder Garage

What to you think will happen if your freind lost your key.

Spyder Garage

Default Hiding a spare key

The right or left speaker grills on the RT can easily be removed without tools. There is plenty of spaces there to secure (hide) a spare key.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks, that's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I can't speak for how any dealers might treat any of us on the road but I might offer a couple of hints that might help you to avoid being caught in this situation again. 1) I carry a spare key on the bike in a location which I won't disclose but it's simple to locate. For example, you might put one in your toolbag which is under the seat and is locked. 2) I had 2 chipless spare keys made at a local locksmith. They won't start the bike but they will unlock everything including the seat. I carry one in my pocket and my wife carries one her pocket. So, in order to be stranded, we would have to simultaneously lose three keys and that's not likely to happen. In fact, it's possible to open the seat without a key so, if my key was actually in my toolbag, I could get to it without a key at all. One other thing, should you break a key, a chipless key will turn the ignition and the bike can be started by holding the broken key including the chip against the switch. Sorry, this doesn't help you in your current situation but it may help prevent it in the future. Cotton

Thanks, that's a great idea

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cabodan View Post
    What to you think will happen if your freind lost your key.
    Ummmm.... You throw theirs into the nearest lake??
    Be responsible for your own keys...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    OK you got me. I heard do you unlock the seat without a key?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default As said..!!

chipless key will run you two bucks and a clone key around $35.00. The chipless key is flat and easy to hide in a place of your choice. The chipped key is bulky and best stored in the trunk or frunk. But it is a fact they can not make you a key if you lose both and you have to replace all locks to operate on one key or at best replace ignition.. We know it will not happen again..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    OK you got me. I heard do you unlock the seat without a key?

Bob
    \
    Although there's lots of places to stash a second key that won't require doing this...

Spyder Garage

So how do you unlock the seat without a key?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Default Clone key

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    chipless key will run you two bucks and a clone key around $35.00. The chipless key is flat and easy to hide in a place of your choice. The chipped key is bulky and best stored in the trunk or frunk. But it is a fact they can not make you a key if you lose both and you have to replace all locks to operate on one key or at best replace ignition.. We know it will not happen again..!!

How do I order a clone key - through a dealer?
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No! But there have been several sites listed in here within the myriad of threads concerning this topic...

Spyder Garage

Default spare key

Quote Originally Posted by Barlock View Post

How do I order a clone key - through a dealer?
    Yes.

billybovine has answered it before:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73740&d=1376435703

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Frunk-Opening

Spyder Garage

I guess no one is going to "spill the beans" and disclose how to unlock the seat without the key?

PM me the answer if it's not good to share the "secret" in public.

Thanks,
    Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

I guess no one is going to "spill the beans" and disclose how to unlock the seat without the key?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Sawzall?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

hey what about the rest of us..i would like to know how to unlock the seat without a key....
    gary (τΏτ)

2010 can am spyder RTS-SE5 limited... #0058
    timeless black
    lighting by .......Big Dog Productions
    pin striping by..Letterfly
    exhaust by.......Spyder1attitude
    strobe brake lights by...Custom Dynamics
    K & N air filter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Sawzall?
    I guess we have our answer

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Left side panel under oil cooler.? Right side fan under or?? Also put code on panel for key code replaced when lost?...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks,
    Bob
    Well, a sawzall would work just fine. I actually had in mind any kind of pry-bar like a big screwdriver or tire iron. Remember that this is an emergency situation and I would break a seat latch before I had my RT towed to a dealer in an emergency. I haven't actually tried it and don't think I'll have to since I have access to a couple of keys that will unlock it. Cotton