Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Terrible gas mileage with ST

We have 4700 miles on our ST limited that we bought in April. We never get more than 25 mpg. We don't up shift before 5200 RPMs. We down shift when we are between 4200 and 4000 RPMs. When we had our RSS we were getting 30-31mpg. Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas?

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

my ST is all over with mpg....generally 19 - 36....19 after I have ridden 3 or 4 tanks of gas....36 when traveling early 1 or 2 tanks of gas consistent 60-65 mph ...

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Why would there be so much difference between the ST and RS? I never got below 30mpg last weekend over 1300 miles and we did one tank all hwy at an average speed of 83mph. That tank was from Oklahoma to Paris Tx on open hwy but with speeds ranging from 75mph to 100mph I would have expected this to be sub 30mpg tank.
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    my ST is all over with mpg....generally 19 - 36....19 after I have ridden 3 or 4 tanks of gas....36 when traveling early 1 or 2 tanks of gas consistent 60-65 mph ...
    Char,
    Did those crazy jumps in your fuel mileage change at all after the re-flash?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default GAS MILEAGE

I have an ST-S also, but am averaging 30.9 mpg after 47 fillups. I have 6600 miles on the Spyder. I upshift at 5500 rpm and downshift at about 4000 rpm. I don't understand how some people are getting much less gas mileage.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Char,
    Did those crazy jumps in your fuel mileage change at all after the re-flash?
    nope...we'll see how she behaves after I pick her up this week...I'll ride around for half a day, 200 mille and see what happens...if all good...I'll go home 300 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's something going on here with the ST series of bikes; some folks are happier than clams in wet sand, and others would like to choke somebody a bit...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

nope...we'll see how she behaves after I pick her up this week...I'll ride around for half a day, 200 mille and see what happens...if all good...I'll go home 300 miles
    We're hoping and praying for nothing but good luck for you!

Spyder Garage

Default too many variables..!!

hard to say but there are a lot of factors to the mileage question. How you calculate, what gas and if you fill it to the same level for each measurement. Some nozzles dip in further and if you go by cut off could lose considerable amounts. Then the season road condition solo or double up etc. I know you've heard it before but it does get better. RS's have less wind resistance and weight and do get a better range but hang in there and remember these roadsters were never sold for their economy..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

yeah I average 25 mpg also on my 2011 RT. usually upshift around 5200 rpm and down shift at 4300 rpm. this was advice I had received from another poster some time back. love the ride, just kind of a nuisance riding with friends on Harleys, gotta start looking for gas at 100 miles while the still have almost half a tank left.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sylverspyder View Post
    yeah I average 25 mpg also on my 2011 RT. usually upshift around 5200 rpm and down shift at 4300 rpm. this was advice I had received from another poster some time back. love the ride, just kind of a nuisance riding with friends on Harleys, gotta start looking for gas at 100 miles while the still have almost half a tank left.
    Most Harley riders are looking for a stop around 100 miles because their butts are numb from the poor riding of their bike seats so you should be okay.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    Most Harley riders are looking for a stop around 100 miles because their butts are numb from the poor riding of their bike seats so you should be okay.

Carl
    Heck I KNOW I'm looking to stop at about 100 miles on the RS-S even with a taller windshield. With little to almost no protection from the wind my neck is ready to get the helmet off for a few minutes. We almost ran out of gas on the way out of town last weekend. When we finally came across a gas station I had one bar left on the dash and had traveled 154 miles. After that mishap we were stopping at 100 miles whether you wanted to or not...lol
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange monster View Post
    Heck I KNOW I'm looking to stop at about 100 miles on the RS-S even with a taller windshield. With little to almost no protection from the wind my neck is ready to get the helmet off for a few minutes. We almost ran out of gas on the way out of town last weekend. When we finally came across a gas station I had one bar left on the dash and had traveled 154 miles. After that mishap we were stopping at 100 miles whether you wanted to or not...lol
    that's a pucker situation......most I ever traveled was 161.8...crazy.....living on the edge

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange monster View Post
    Being a big and tall guy I can ride my RS-S like a cruiser so I can sit straight up or lean forward if I like. Luckily risers are not something I need. The Rivco floorboards really help a lot, but I wouldn't mind stretching those legs a little further sometimes(highway pegs needed). My main issue now is the seat. After about 80 miles I am having to move around on the seat a little due to being a little uncomfortable. Other than that I feel I could do a couple hundred miles with music in my ear and not think about it(other than running out of gas of course). I went to FortWorth last night(about 100 or so miles) and only got off the bike once for gas and felt pretty good and that was not getting out of 4th gear because I was cruising and never got over 69mph. It was a great smooth ride.

Grady Brown III
    President & Founder
    For The Love of Laila...and your baby too
    www.ftllm712.com
    Check out the Events page at www.ftllm712.com for upcoming events

We are Riding to save lives!!!

Facebook

Twitter

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RTS

5600 Miles and I have never done better than 25MPG

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it the bike; or is it your right wrist?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bamaryder View Post
    We have 4700 miles on our ST limited that we bought in April. We never get more than 25 mpg. We don't up shift before 5200 RPMs. We down shift when we are between 4200 and 4000 RPMs. When we had our RSS we were getting 30-31mpg. Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas?
    Yall got to get that ST out of the city and ride it, that city traffic can be a pain, especially in Mobile with all the distracted drivers playing with their phones.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My ST-S has 4600 miles on it and I avg 31 to 32 MPG I have the SE5 transmission and I upshift around 5500-6000 RPM and downshift around 3500-4000. The first 1500 miles I got about 25 MPG, but since then always 31 to 32, and I use 93 octane gas.

Spyder Garage

yiks guys and grils heres what gets good gas milage 50 mph 33 mpg 60 mph 32mpg,70mph 29mpg,75mph 27mph,80mph 25mpg the faster you ride your going to get worse mpg.so if your riding 90 to 100 you will be luckey to get 23mpg now this is not a for surtin perfict thing but you get the drift of what im saying. but my rs was right in those examples.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is where your right wrist, and the "barn door" aerodynamics butt heads together!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bamaryder View Post
    What strikes me about your experience is that it is the complete opposite to mine. On my 09GS I rarely got 30 mpg or over and often got as low as 25. I had just assumed it was because of how I drive. Now I have a 2013 ST Limited and drive just the same. It started out at 25 but quickly increased to 32 after several tanks of fuel. I now have 8,000 mi on my ST and don't recall getting less than 32 for the last several thousand miles. From fill up until the fuel light comes on is 250 to 270 kms (155 to 168 mi). If I can get to a gas station quickly, I will refill about 18.2 L (4.8 gal). The farthest I have gone on one tank is 320 km (198 mi) and refilled 21.5 L (5.67 gal).

I am assuming your driving style has not changed and my driving style has not changed. There must be other reasons for the difference.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There HAS been talk of the newer bikes tuned for leaner running...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There HAS been talk of the newer bikes tuned for leaner running...
    a leaner engine will get better mpg...but at what cost when the plugs are white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I actually think that if the temperature sensors are reading that the motor is getting too hot; it richens up the mix to cool the comubstion chambers off... and this KILLS your fuel mileage!
    That's my inexpert opinion, and I'm sticking to it!

Spyder Garage

that's a pucker situation......most I ever traveled was 161.8...crazy.....living on the edge
    I've been over 190 miles on a tank several times. Ran out of fuel once at this year's Spyderfest. 197 miles.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...