Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I lost the bottom bolt on my top belt guard and my brother lost the top bolt on his top belt guard before our 600 mile service. Both bikes were bought new at the same dealer. I told the dealer and he replaced the bolt and instructed his techs to add locktight to these bolts.
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    when I purchased my Spyder in Missouri ...got it home in Texas...Mark took it apart and found 7 screws and bolts missing all on the left side....then the wire under the back fender was not tie-wrapped and had worn through to bare wires....from day one there have been problems with this ST....BRP needs to step up
    The more we hear, it does sound like there was some shoddy manufacturing issues going on with the 2013's.

Hope they do a better job on the production of the 2014's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I took the st back to the dealer last week for the service bulletins.

They only did the the ECM reflash - no parts for the belt guard or fuse boxes. That was Thursday. We left Friday on a 900 mile round trip. 400 miles into the ride Saturday morning the belt guard got sucked into the front. No visible damage to the bike so we pitched it in the saddle bag and rode on. Spyder had 1400 miles on it when it came loose.

I visually checked the bolts after finding out about the service bulletin - guess I should have put some loctite on and tightened them up..
    Last edited by truckracer; 05-17-2014 at 06:29 AM.
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    2013 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SM
    2014 Honda Grom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by truckracer View Post
    I took the st back to the dealer last week for the service bulletins.

They only did the the ECM reflash - no parts for the belt guard or fuse boxes. That was Thursday. We left Friday on a 900 mile round trip. 400 miles into the ride Saturday morning the belt guard got sucked into the front. No visible damage to the bike so we pitched in the saddle bag and rode one. Spyder had 1400 miles on it when it came loose.

I visually checked the bolts after finding out about the service bulletin - guess I should have put some loctite on and tightened them up..
    My belt guard failed at 3300mi.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 03hdjill View Post
    Could anyone tell me if it is normal to have to pay to have the front cylinder spark plug replaced after 4500 miles due to running too rich? I never had to pay to have any spark plugs replaced on my HD that I had for 10 years let alone on a bike that is 4 months old.

Also, just a FYI for ST owners.... My belt guard nuts vibrated off and the plastic guard was sucked into the belt causing all kinds of problems. The nuts were not the locking type. Now my bike is in the shop and it does not seem to be an in and out type of fix.
    I'm not sure if your talking about the bolts that were in the last 2013 service campaign but mine fell off along with my belt guard and when I took it in for the service they ordered new bolts and belt guard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Guard Bolts

At my 600 mile service my dealer fixed all the issues on the service notice from BRP. The flashing of the EMC, the Bolts and nuts on the belt guard and sealed the fuse Box. I have a 2013 ST. I took the ST out on Wednesday (112 deg. F on the Bike thermometer) experience no over heating issues. I now have over 2300 miles on the bike and no issues so far.
    2013 ST , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    I'm not sure if your talking about the bolts that were in the last 2013 service campaign but mine fell off along with my belt guard and when I took it in for the service they ordered new bolts and belt guard.
    Jacque, My post was from September. That was when all of that happened to me. I guess there have people who have experienced the same more recently.

Spyder Garage

I have recently replaced both of mine with carbon fibre one's and made sure I applied some loctite.
    Bestem Carbon belt guards.jpg
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    BRP Carbon black sports rack & backrest
    Custom Dynamics LED converted taillights & black tag bolts
    WrapMySpyder carbon dash kit & GT stripes & graphics
    Bestem USA carbon side fairings, belt guards & under tail
    Procoat NZ powder coated wheels
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround
    Spyderpops 3D SS Grille set

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 03hdjill View Post
    Jacque, My post was from September. That was when all of that happened to me. I guess there have people who have experienced the same more recently.
    Ahh, well I'm behind the times huh LOL, maybe I should read the dates - sorry

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default I to lost mine

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    What the heck is up with this? Sounds like some big oversight on the part of the dealer assembling the roadster or maybe a bad design by BRP.

Carl
    I had only about 300 miles on mine when it happened. At the dealership in Pharr TX, I talked to the mechanic that took these out of the box and assembled them and he told me that whole assembly, guards and all comes preassembled from the factory. But he had seen several by then with no or loose nuts. As I have said before; this machine has a lot of fine engineering, very poorly exicuted.