Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default About to pull the trigger on an STS

Despite the heat issues and nagging problems I read about the STs, am about to pull the trigger on a 2013 Circuit Yellow STS. I own a 2011 RT Limited and enjoy it, but the STS feels sportier and handles differently. I really like the way the bike feels.

Apparently not everyone has overheating problems and my dealer GVPS in Surrey, British Columbia said they have yet to encounter 1 with a melted brake master cyclinder to date! Hmmm...perhaps because the ambient temperatures here don't get as high like places south of the border.

What surprised me most is that they have yet to receive from BRP the necessary kits to perform the recall!

My intentions are to ride the STS for 1-2 day solo trips and the RT for longer ones with my wife. Your input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

We also have a 2012 RT Limited and a 2013 ST-S, in circuit yellow I might add.

We also pretty much use our two the same way you described, long trips - two up - on the RT and short trips on the ST-S. Although we also use our ST-S for some weekend excursions.

I love the ST-S. it is just plain fun and hence my previous description that the RT is our Winnebago and the ST is our Porsche.

Carl
    Last edited by quickster47; 09-26-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Default What can I say..!!

go for it. Time is running out for great ryding. You will love the sport package and with some adjustments you can double up and still have a great time...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I love my STS, wouldn't trade it for anything...well, maybe a 2015 or 2016 STS triple!!
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have not had any heat issues at all and love my 2013 ST-S, my dealer here in ohio told me they have done 12 recalls so far and not 1 melted MC so I wouldn't worry about it to much

Spyder Garage

Default I did the same thing

Yes despite the ongoing heat issues I'm doing the same thing. My wife has a 2011 RT and loves it. I'm trading in my V-Strom on a STS. We get it this Friday.

Our dealer let us take one for a demo. It was brand new, only had 12 Kilometers....when we brought it back it had 485 Kilometers (300 Miles) on it. That was a great demo!!

You will love the ST...so will I.
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Default ST-S

I also have an ST-S in yellow. Before I bought it, I test rode an RT. To me it was just too big, but the ST-S was just right. I have had some heat issues and the melted MC cap but my dealer has been great about solving these problems. When I wear this ST out, I would consider buying another!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

The ST does indeed fill the niche between the RS and the RT. If that is the one you prefer, surely go for it and don't look back. Enjoy your new ryde.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the comments and words of enouragement! Really appreciate it.
    Decided to pull the trigger! The dealer is now prepping the Circuit Yellow 2013 STS and are adding on the following options that I ordered with the unit:

1. Heated Grips
    2. Fog Lamps
    3. Adjustable GPS Mount
    4. Akrapovic Sports Exhaust
    5. Trunk Liner
    6. Accessory Cig. Lighter

I purposely left out the rear back rest and possible the new optional rear trunk for next riding season should we take the STS on an extended trip out of town. I like the clean/streamlined look without all the side bags for shorter rides. Any other suggestions here?

Anybody see the need of installng a Bajaron sway bar, heim links and optional front shocks on the STS yet?

Once again, a big thank you for all your comments and advice! I will surely will enjoy the STS.
    Last edited by Benggolf; 10-03-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    Decided to pull the trigger! The dealer is now prepping the Circuit Yellow 2013 STS and are adding on the following options that I ordered with the unit:

1. Heated Grips
    2. Fog Lamps
    3. Adjustable GPS Mount
    5. Trunk Liner

I purposely left out the rear back rest and possible the new optional rear trunk for next riding season should we take the STS on an extended trip out of town. I like the clean/streamlined look without all the side bags for shorter rides. ANy other suggestions here?

Anybody see the need of installng a Bajaron sway bar, heim links and optional front shocks on the STS yet?

Once again, a big thank you for all your comments and advice! I will surely will enjoy the STS.
    RE: Sway bar. I would give the STS a thousand miles or so. If you want improved ride--then go for the sway bar.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    RE: Sway bar. I would give the STS a thousand miles or so. If you want improved ride--then go for the sway bar.
    Thank you akspyderman! Exactly what I was thinking.
    Just wanted some feedback from those who have done the mod on their STS as I know the suspension on the STS is supposedly "sportier" than the RT.

I know many have done so on their RTs and the improvement in handling and reducing body roll was significant. Am having our dealer install the Bajaron sway bar and heim limks on our 2011 RT Limited coming October 9th. Can't wait.
    Last edited by Benggolf; 09-28-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Almost a ST-L...

Your additions have you almost to the level of a Limited. Did you not want to go with the ST-L on purpose? I know you mentioned picking Circuit Yellow, so i'm thinking you went with the ST-S for the color. The saddlebags on the ST-L pop off real easy, so you can still have the sport look you mentioned. I ride "bags off" for a changeup when I want that sporty look you mention. you have the black metal bracket for the bags, but it's unobtrusive and the black color blends in with the black/white color scheme of my bike when I ride "bags off". The advantage you have is the knowledge of the 2013 ST issues, and fortuitous pricing based on the arrival of the 2014 line.

I was one of the ones affected with the melted master cylinder and vapor canister melted...but my dealer and BRP took care of me with very little riding time lost. Warranty repairs done same-day, and other repairs done in 2-3 days with a loaner Spyder given during the time of repairs. I love my bike, and DO NOT regret the purchase whatsoever. The addition of a reputable dealer made the experience that much more pleasurable (Shout out to Elk Grove Powersports). Ride on, my friend...and enjoy the wind in your face

Spyder Garage

1. Heated Grips
    2. Fog Lamps
    3. Adjustable GPS Mount
    5. Trunk Liner

I purposely left out the rear back rest and possible the new optional rear trunk for next riding season should we take the STS on an extended trip out of town. I like the clean/streamlined look without all the side bags for shorter rides. ANy other suggestions here?

Nice color choice. LOL

I'm looking into the sway bar after riding w/ two people and realizing it sway quite a bit more, hopefully that helps a bit and makes it a bit more sporty when riding alone.

Spyder Garage

Default Some Do melt in the Nw

Despite the heat issues and nagging problems I read about the STs, am about to pull the trigger on a 2013 Circuit Yellow STS. I own a 2011 RT Limited and enjoy it, but the STS feels sportier and handles differently. I really like the way the bike feels.

Apparently not everyone has overheating problems and my dealer GVPS in Surrey, British Columbia said they have yet to encounter 1 with a melted brake master cyclinder to date! Hmmm...perhaps because the ambient temperatures here don't get as high like places south of the border.

What surprised me most is that they have yet to receive from BRP the necessary kits to perform the recall!

My intentions are to ride the STS for 1-2 day solo trips and the RT for longer ones with my wife. Your input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    I know of 1 that Lifestyles in Mt. Vernon WA changed that had 1800 and had been melting. So just make sure they have done the recall updates when you pick it up
    As for the ambent temp he never felt any of the heat issues happening. Good luck on your new ryde hope to see in Bellingham when you come South

[

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    Your additions have you almost to the level of a Limited. Did you not want to go with the ST-L on purpose? I know you mentioned picking Circuit Yellow, so i'm thinking you went with the ST-S for the color. The saddlebags on the ST-L pop off real easy, so you can still have the sport look you mentioned. I ride "bags off" for a changeup when I want that sporty look you mention. you have the black metal bracket for the bags, but it's unobtrusive and the black color blends in with the black/white color scheme of my bike when I ride "bags off". The advantage you have is the knowledge of the 2013 ST issues, and fortuitous pricing based on the arrival of the 2014 line.

I was one of the ones affected with the melted master cylinder and vapor canister melted...but my dealer and BRP took care of me with very little riding time lost. Warranty repairs done same-day, and other repairs done in 2-3 days with a loaner Spyder given during the time of repairs. I love my bike, and DO NOT regret the purchase whatsoever. The addition of a reputable dealer made the experience that much more pleasurable (Shout out to Elk Grove Powersports). Ride on, my friend...and enjoy the wind in your face
    Actually, I had the opportunity to ride the ST Limited for over 2 weeks after the "Spyders in Redwoods Meet" (my friend and I shared in buying an ST Limited for his ride down to Sonora, Ca. last August. I rode my 2011 RT Limited to the event). The experience got me into considering an ST for shorter trips because I really liked how it handles and overall riding experience being more sporty. Yes, the ST Limited is a great buy for the extra options you get for a nominal price difference, but I didn't care to have another white Spyder.

Am glad you had a very helpful and supportive dealer behind you. I look forward to a long and good experience with my dealer, Greater Vancouver Power Sports in Surrey, B.C. They are a bunch of great fellows to work with.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by n7wol View Post
    I know of 1 that Lifestyles in Mt. Vernon WA changed that had 1800 and had been melting. So just make sure they have done the recall updates when you pick it up
    As for the ambent temp he never felt any of the heat issues happening. Good luck on your new ryde hope to see in Bellingham when you come South
    Yes, I wanted them to do the recall updates done before delivery but I am told they yet have to receive the kits to date. Guess, I will have to have it done once the parts get in.

It will be nice to meet with you whenever I ride down to Bellingham. We can PM each other to coordinate.

Spyder Garage

Decided to pull the trigger!

I don't see the adjustable shocks and Ronbar as optional, they're pretty much necessary for a comfortable, wobble/sway-free ride. Just assume you're going to get them.

You mentioned your dealer is out of recall parts, make sure you get them installed before you ride it. While many people have have not melted anything, it can happen to anyone and it can happen any time. Mine melted thru on my first trip after only owning the bike for a month. Brake fluid was all over the exhaust pipes, smoke everywhere, I thought for sure it was going to go up in flames. For some reason it didn't and I've put 5k miles on it since.

My point was you shouldn't take it home until they have the recall installed. I'd hate to hear about someone taking home their new ST and parking it in the garage and having it burn down their home.

Once the recall is done, you're safe from the worst of the problems.

Enjoy your new ride!
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

I was told by my dealer, even though they ordered mine last week, that they are now on national back order w no sign of how long they will be.

Just got my license finally, so riding and hoping for the best.

Spyder Garage

Hoping to take delivery of the STS tomorrow. Had the heated grips, Akrapovic "Sports" exhaust, fog lamps, frunk liner, 12V accessory outlet, and adjustable ST-L GPS mount installed.

Had them check out the unit well and correct al the fault codes. Wish me luck guys that I don't end up with a BBQ STS!

I found out that the unit was manufactured in February, 2013. How will I find out if all the upgraded parts are on the trike on delivery? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by Benggolf; 10-03-2013 at 02:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

My dealer told me that before I took delivery that any issue (TSB,recall) would have been taken care of....but I know my hein links are the ones that are supposed to be replaced, so I don't know what else they missed.

When/if they ever get the recall heat kit in and I get my 600 mile service done, I will have a small list of things to check. I think one of the hard things to check is if they did the ball joints...although, I do think I already have steering wheel play at 450 miles which may/may not be joint related.

Remember to check everything they installed while you are there, I've heard a few complaints especially about the dealer installed 12V plug.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Hoping to take delivery of the STS tomorrow.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default STS

Quote Originally Posted by Spydr in KS View Post
    I love my STS, wouldn't trade it for anything...well, maybe a 2015 or 2016 STS triple!!
    I feel the same way I had few issues lately but still love it, get it now and get a good price on it.

Spyder Garage

1. Heated Grips
    2. Fog Lamps
    3. Adjustable GPS Mount
    5. Trunk Liner

If you like to hot dog curves then the elka shocks will make your day on the ST!!
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Finally....am a happy camper!

Well, a bit of good news today. After waiting a bit for the dealer to finish PDI of my STS, they told me that the recall kit for my unit just arrived. So I opted for them to do the mod before taking delivery.

Waited for another 2 hours and finally it was all ready!

Got all the options that I previously listed installed except for the adjustable GPS mount
    (similar to ST Limited) because the harness and connector did not come with the mount.
    Parts Department is now following up with BRP to see if we can order the required harness/connector without ordering the entire GPS kit.

It was a pleasant 50+ km. ride back home and the temperature never passed the halfway mark despite the rush hour traffic although the temperature was only 16 degrees Celsius.
    The engine did stumble a couple of times as I was coming to a stop but didn't stall as I was able to blip the throuttle slightly to prevent it from stalling out. Hopefully this issue will eventually correct itself after putting in more mileage.

WIll take some pictures soon and post them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    If you like to hot dog curves then the elka shocks will make your day on the ST!!
    Indeed enjoy doing that! Will be ordering the Bajaron sway bar and possibly Elka shock in the near future. Thanks for the suggestion.