Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default long trips on ST's

How many ST's are out there that have taken long trips with out mechanical issues due to heat? There is a lot of negative "stuff" on this site regarding the ST's. I don't want to be Pollyanna here but if there are some success stories out there that bolster the ST's I'd love to hear them. Mine's been great so far but I haven't taken trips longer than 50 miles and I live in a cooler climate so I'm probably not a good litmus test. However I want to be able to take long trips south and not worry. Thanks

Spyder Garage

I've driven mine to my mother's place in Mississippi, 1000 mile round trip, with nary a problem. It ran flawlessly and gave me an average of 31 MPG for the trip.

It is definitely not as comfortable as our RT but it ain't too bad.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Clueless just reported on Facebook how great milage he's gotten on his ST and has no heat issues to complain. He rode it from Maggie Valley during the owners event and took it back home to Pittsburgh the long way.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

I've done 800 miles in two days. No problems. 4000 miles now and love it!
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Default Really..!!!

No more than 50 miles....not worth suiting up... You need to venture out more...don't have an ST but know there are a lot out there doing great. We only get posts for the ones with problems so it is hard to judge. Happy ryders are not looking for solutions so don't post much mostly lurk and jump in for the fun and farkels...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default 546 miles one day at 95 degrees

I have over 3,000 miles on a 2013 ST-S in just over a month's time. This is after riding 65,000 miles on a pair of 2008 GS SM-5s. I can tell you the 2013 is a little warmer up at the left knee than the 2008s, but nothing I would consider excessive. One day I rode 546 miles from 8 AM to 5 PM in 95 degree heat (NO interstate or U.S. Highways) and it was a non-issue. It gets ridden hard, my rear tire is bald in the middle at 3,000 miles so I do not baby the thing. Seems like some units are hot, some are not. I've got a good one!

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have over 10,000 miles....1st 4000 trouble free...I was on a 3800 mile trip by myself when all the heat showed it's ugly face....after getting home is when I started working with BRP and still working with BRP but feel confident together the bike is going to be good...Jump on that ST and take off....if there is a problem...post here and someone will be there to help.....just make sure you have the recall completed...go travel the Americas....

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Over 1700 miles on Texas trip

Back in June I rode my ST-S from Murphy, NC to Crockett, TX. Longest ride in one day was 518 miles. Spyder performed flawlessly! ST-S was warm but not overbearing riding in 95 degree heat.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I have been thinking that there should either be a poll or a thread concerning 2013's and how many miles people have accumulated on them. Since I don't own that year, it should be up to someone who does.

How about specifying either RS, ST, or RT and then how many miles have been accumulated in year one. I am guessing Spyder Ann and Flamingo are up there in the top.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I did a post a while back about my ride from Vegas to San Diego way before any of this "heat" came on.. All was good.
    Current Spyder
    2015 Magnesium Metallic F3-S SE6

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder
    2013 Magnesium Metallic ST-S SE5 5,467 Miles

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think Lamont has a lot of highway miles on his ST pulling a trailer.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I have over 8,000 km. on mine and I love it. It is allot better than my 09GS. Now I am also in a cooler climate. I don't have the heat issues. ride all day no problem. I would take this spyder anywhere.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default long trips

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    I've driven mine to my mother's place in Mississippi, 1000 mile round trip, with nary a problem. It ran flawlessly and gave me an average of 31 MPG for the trip.

It is definitely not as comfortable as our RT but it ain't too bad.

Carl

I done 1500 on a round trip no issues....I have some issues with my sts but never on my long trips, my total miles 7,350
    Last edited by Mets79ST2013; 10-08-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    I have over 3,000 miles on a 2013 ST-S in just over a month's time. This is after riding 65,000 miles on a pair of 2008 GS SM-5s. I can tell you the 2013 is a little warmer up at the left knee than the 2008s, but nothing I would consider excessive. One day I rode 546 miles from 8 AM to 5 PM in 95 degree heat (NO interstate or U.S. Highways) and it was a non-issue. It gets ridden hard, my rear tire is bald in the middle at 3,000 miles so I do not baby the thing. Seems like some units are hot, some are not. I've got a good one!
    I'd say "over 3,000 miles in just over a month's time" is very impressive. When do you sleep - while riding? Just kidding.
    Last edited by Barlock; 10-09-2013 at 08:10 AM.
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Spyder Garage

I've had mine for two and a half months and hve just over 3000 miles on it. I put 975 during the week of Spyderquest. No problems to speak of other than the recall and a loose belt guard.

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    No more than 50 miles....not worth suiting up... You need to venture out more...don't have an ST but know there are a lot out there doing great. We only get posts for the ones with problems so it is hard to judge. Happy ryders are not looking for solutions so don't post much mostly lurk and jump in for the fun and farkels...
    Hopefully one day soon I can take a long trip but for now I need to stay close to home.So I'll enjoy any trip I'm lucky enough to take. The long trip stories are great to read!
    Last edited by golfsferr; 10-08-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

This last weekend my husband and I did over 1000 miles from NE Kansas to Branson and down onto some fantastic roads in Arkansas. We would have done more but the rain on Saturday was to much for his Voyager and we called it quits midafternoon. His bike was broken into and his rain suit and bike cover was taken so we stopped to see Len and Vanessa at Pitbull after going back to Branson to file the police report. We would have had a much longer trip if he hadn't had to be on a plane Sunday night and if the weather had cooperated but my ST ran great and my husband said he loved watching me take the twists and turns (he scraped a floor board trying to take the turns like I was). LOVE IT! Penny

Spyder Garage

Default Love our ST - L SE5

Got ours Labor Day weekend, have almost 1600 trouble free miles. Just finished a 425 mile weekend in central Illinois. No problems! Love the cruse, it keeps me "around" the speed lmit! We have the factory back rest and it is a life saver. It cruises nice at 65 - 70 mph on the freeway, which we try to avoid. Ride on my friends! Andrew

OH, I totally agree with hearing positive stuff. I get a bit down reading about every ones problems here and there. I am sure they occur, but lets continue to hear the good stuff as well.

BTW our dealer did the 1,000 check up and oil change. They are great and support the Can Am Spyder with as much excitement as we have.
    Last edited by claychaser; 10-09-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyderman990 rode with us to SpyderFest; we logged two, 600-plus mile days each way, and his ST-S ran flawlessly...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I now have 8330 miles on my STS and yesterday did a 494 mile ride and no heat issues. I have had the update done and runs great other than the rear tire is bald in the center not from burnouts either just fast cruising.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And he's back; with a new name!!

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear

It good to hear about all 13's without any issues. I am now almost considering a left over to save some cash.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Running Good

I just got back from a two-day tour of northern Minnesota checking out the fall colors. Left Wednesday at 11 AM, got back last night at 5 PM. Did 330 miles on Wednesday, 411 miles yesterday, saw temps up to 80 degrees, never had a heat issue on the Spyder whatsoever. Complete non-issue. That is 3,740 miles since August 26th, other than the rear tire being bald down the middle all is well. I love this thing!

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did they perform the recall work on yours yet?
    If so; what did they find up under there?

We have heard such differing reports on these 2013 bikes...
    Has anybody been able to take a real close look at a couple of bikes side by side; one with issues, and the other with a happy owner??
    There's got to be something physical that is making the difference!
    Finding it though...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My STS at 10500miles and no major troubles been on about 3 longer trips for about 600miles round trips ea. never had any problems for heat issues. All in the 80s to 90s temps.

The only heat issue I had was the bike sitting out in the sun off all day I usually use a half cover but forgot to cover it that day. I went out and tried to start it and it would not and had a heat error for got which, but yeah the whole bike was just baking in the sun and was very hot just sitting out there, other than that temps gauge always in the 4 to 5 bars never a issue on the road yet.

I do feel on very hot days the heat more on my right leg and feel the heat from under the seat when I stop for gas but never cause any issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD