Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Smile Sharing The Road

My wife and I were traveling north on highway 218/27 Sunday and were nearly run off the road by a truck driver. Normally, I try to avoid trucks but I also like to see what's in front of me. (Difficult to see around a truck) He was in the right lane and I wanted to pass, but then he changed to the left lane. I moved to the right lane and it was clear so I passed him. Just as we were reached his cab, he decided he wanted to be back in the right lane. I had to move over to the warning track and speed up to avoid being hit. He received a finger full from me after we were in front and clear. When close calls happen, I think about what I could have done differently to avoid it in the future. Unfotunately, there will always be distracted drivers on the road and I know you have to drive defensively, especially when on a 2 or 3 wheeler.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 "Rusty"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

That is one of the reason I never assume that the turkey I am about to pass see's me because I am invisible! I will flash my headlights and pass like a rocket ship going into orbit!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes it's hard to have patience out on the road. Of course the right thing to have done was not to pass on the right even though the trucker was in the wrong. I drive an 18 wheeler everyday and see what goes on out there and yes I have lost my patience numerous times. Glad you made it and are OK. It's good to ponder what to do next time. Be safe out there!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    That is one of the reason I never assume that the turkey I am about to pass see's me because I am invisible! I will flash my headlights and pass like a rocket ship going into orbit!
    That is good advice, Bob. Never assume that the other driver sees you. Ryde safe.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 "Rusty"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ride as if you're invisible, and the other guy is drunk, hung over, just got fired, had a fight with his wife, and his daughter just ran off with a guy who looks just like you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Ride as if you're invisible, and the other guy is drunk, hung over, just got fired, had a fight with his wife, and his daughter just ran off with a guy who looks just like you!
    Never take anything for granted. Assume the worst, and you will be prepared for most anything.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ON THE RIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Sometimes it's hard to have patience out on the road. Of course the right thing to have done was not to pass on the right even though the trucker was in the wrong. I drive an 18 wheeler everyday and see what goes on out there and yes I have lost my patience numerous times. Glad you made it and are OK. It's good to ponder what to do next time. Be safe out there!
    Just so there is no confusion on this ,,,PASSING on the right is only" ILLEGAL " if you have to leave the legal traveled portion of the road to do so.....On a road where two lanes are going in the same direction the left lane is designated as the passing lane.....However if there is some IDIOT who just wants to drive at or below the speed limit in the PASSING LANE .....Well I'm going to pass on the RIGHT ,,and it's legal in the jurisdictions I'm familar with.......Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes to all above. And you might consider installing a stebel air horn on your bike. Unlike the stock horn, it is loud enough to get the attention of 18 wheelers. I have blasted more than a few of them out of the lane when they tried to get up close & personal with me and spyder!
    2012 Can Am spyder RT: RED! Widow pegs with kuraykyn mounts, ride on sealant in all tires, stebel nautilus air horn, ELKA shocks, Ultimate saddle & driver backrest, digital clock & oil pressure gauge (replaced OEM gauges), xenon lights all around, Custom dynamics brake light, SEAL pup floor boards, Baja ron sway bar, chain guard, bump skid & block off plate (all from spyderpops), Baker air wings, Custom Dynamics turn signals & fender lights, custom paint job (hot rod flames)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A good set of horns can be useful...
    I once used a set of Fiamms to "blast" a kid in a Mustang off into a guardrail when he tried to lean on me and my 'Wing in traffic...

Spyder Garage

I have a tendency to ride with my brights on, during the daylight hours, just to give me a little more visibility and with trucks I make sure its clear and then see just how fast my spyder will run....cant leave anything to chance dont want the long haired Col spending all my retirement at Wal Mart

Spyder Garage

Similar thing happened to me a couple of days ago. I was passing a convoy of trucks. There were four of them each tailgating the one in front...you know how they like to save gas while risking everyone else's safety. They were going about 65 in a 55 zone. I started to pass on the left at about 80. Those kinds of truck drivers scare me.

So, anyway, I pass the fourth one in line...I have almost passed the third one in line--I was even with his front bumper. All of a sudden the second one in line decides that he doesn't want to tailgate any more. He flips on his blinker and starts to move over--apparently without looking. I braked hard...slowing from 80 to 53 quickly. (I guess they were not going 65!) THE TRUCKER THEN GAVE ME THE FINGER. No longer trusting the driving skills of a trucker that I didn't trust anyway, I hung back and stopped trying to pass. He continued moving over, and I was afraid of being rear ended by a white sedan following me.

The road widened to three lanes about 1/4 mile later, and I was outta there like a rocket. Where's the highway patrol when stuff like this happens?
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

While riding, I always assume half the drivers are blind and the other half are deliberately trying to run me over.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Driver's Ed, 1965, Syracuse NY. We had to memorize a poem that has stuck in my mind, all these 47 + years . . . "He was right, as he sped along, but he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong." When I was stationed at Offutt AFB in the mid to late 70's I had a CDL and drove a truck for Mayflower Van Lines. There are HUGE blind spots around an 18 wheeler and anytime you are near them on a bike, you are in truly "in harm's way." If this trucker was so absorbed that he failed to see you when you were passing on his left, chances are he didn't see you at all on the right. When I'm in this boat, I just back off . . . way off, as a tire casing coming off an 18 wheeler can really screw a biker up! I'm glad you survived this close encounter.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what you do..!!

trust in no one..be looking two steps ahead and leave myself a way out..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Be sure you can see their mirrors, because that's how they see you, flash your lights, honk your horn. Never pass a semi on the right unless your life insurance is paid up. Never linger in the passing lane on the left. Best advice of all...learn to be patient. They are way too big to argue with. You won't bother them any more than a bug hitting their windshield.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post

When I pass a big truck, the I really PASS a big truck. Speed be darned. I not only worry about them being distracted, but those treads can fly at any moment. That would not be pleasant. So I don't mess around when I pass commercial vehicles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stay out of their hip pockets; and GO! when you decide to go...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Nothing new, Ive been cut off in my truck, car, bike , trike.
    It happens, and it will happen again.
    The only difference is on a Bike/trike is it's up-close and personal.
    You have to develop a 6Th sense and try to anticipate what the other guy is gonna do,
    And expect him to do the opposite.. Also when you make a iffy pass do it fast and keep on going'
    No Jersey salute.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post

When I pass a big truck, the I really PASS a big truck. Speed be darned. I not only worry about them being distracted, but those treads can fly at any moment. That would not be pleasant. So I don't mess around when I pass commercial vehicles.
    My old driver's ed teacher always said "Pass with authority!" That pretty well covers it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Left side, passing side
    Right side, suicide

You may be right but don't end up being dead right

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Just so there is no confusion on this ,,,PASSING on the right is only" ILLEGAL " if you have to leave the legal traveled portion of the road to do so.....On a road where two lanes are going in the same direction the left lane is designated as the passing lane.....However if there is some IDIOT who just wants to drive at or below the speed limit in the PASSING LANE .....Well I'm going to pass on the RIGHT ,,and it's legal in the jurisdictions I'm familar with.......Mike
    Being legally right doesn't keep you from being just as dead.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I couldn't have said it better, don't pass on the right. It's just dangerous.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I couldn't have said it better, don't pass on the right. It's just dangerous.
    On one car alone i put on 350 thousand miles [not a typo], Driving into Manhattan.
    And if you never pass on the right you'll never get any-where..
    And bye the way i never had an accident...
    I'll bet most people have and will pass on the right, When the occasion arises...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Flight Instructor's Words of Wisdom

My former flight instructor used to tell me every time we flew, "If your neck is not sore when you land. You did not look around enuff."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    On one car alone i put on 350 thousand miles [not a typo], Driving into Manhattan.
    And if you never pass on the right you'll never get any-where..
    And bye the way i never had an accident...
    I'll bet most people have and will pass on the right, When the occasion arises...
    You might have gotten away with it in spite of your actions; not because of them...
    But anyway!