Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Pillion rider switch

The Owner's Guide refers to the "pillion rider switch", but I did not see what it's function is. Did I miss something in the OG or in all the discussions of electronic gizmos on the Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    The Owner's Guide refers to the "pillion rider switch", but I did not see what it's function is. Did I miss something in the OG or in all the discussions of electronic gizmos on the Spyder?
    Your knows when there's a passenger on your ride. How? - The Pillion Rider Switch

So, your adjusts accordingly.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So the extra weight or the placement of the weight causes an adjustment to the VSS?

Spyder Garage

So the extra weight or the placement of the weight causes an adjustment to the VSS?
    That's my guess. The shop manual shows how to test the pillion rider switch. Two conditions can be measured (1) No passenger, and (2) w/passenger; the voltage reading will be either 2.5-4.14 Vdc or 0.9-1.84 Vdc, respectively.

Unless I missed something, the shop manual doesn't describe the inner workings of the electronic system.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I assume it's like the air bag switch in the front passenger seat of a car and will only recognize a passenger of a certain weight. Putting a tail bag, rollbag or backpack might not be heavy enough to trigger it. In all the reviews and factory material, I have not seen this gizmo explained. While it's function may be self explanatory, it would be nice to know just what it does after it recognizes a passenger.

Spyder Garage

I assume it's like the air bag switch in the front passenger seat of a car and will only recognize a passenger of a certain weight. Putting a tail bag, rollbag or backpack might not be heavy enough to trigger it. In all the reviews and factory material, I have not seen this gizmo explained. While it's function may be self explanatory, it would be nice to know just what it does after it recognizes a passenger.

Spyder Garage

DEALER TOLD ME THAT 40 LBS AND UP IT WOULD KNOW THERE IS SOMEONE THERE HOPE THIS HELPS
    Caution:When you argue with an idiot,You have to lower your standards and then you get beat by their experience

Spyder Garage

I know it adjusts the EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution). Possibly other functions.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Is there any on dash display that shows the pillion switch activated, and are there any fault codes if it is inoperative?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimjel View Post
    Is there any on dash display that shows the pillion switch activated, and are there any fault codes if it is inoperative?
    I have never noticed anything displaying on the dash when I had a passenger on back. Not sure about the fault codes.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Maybe if a 400 lb gorrila sits on the back end the whole system locks down. (So make sure when you are using Spyder as a "get-away" vehicle on your next bank job, that you limit the amount of cash or gold you grab or you might not make it out of the parking lot)
    SE5 Moon (delivered Aug'08), Cal-Sci windshield, Zumo 550, tank bag, backrest & luggage rack, kurykan Iso grips, and SwingWing pegs, NM's 4" risers, Russell Day Long Seat, Buschtec hitch, Alumna MCT trailer

Spyder Garage

We found ours under the panel and not attached to the seat, will that make any issues? There is a Corbin seat installed

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KelleySpyder View Post
    We found ours under the panel and not attached to the seat, will that make any issues? There is a Corbin seat installed
    haha , how did you even find this Thread it was started ( and ended in 08 ) ….. if the Corbin seat has wiring and a compatible connector, I suggest making them connect …. or maybe contact Corbin and get some info from them First ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Maybe this is what they were talking about?? Just kidding guys and gals!
    DON'T TRY THIS, EVEN ON A SPYDER!

https://www.facebook.com/douglascarr...046107052/?t=2

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

under the seat is a round (2" or so) cover . If you take the cover off you will find a disk. if you remove the disk the system will not active. This is good if you don't carry a passenger but you carry a travel bag on the rear seat of over 40 pounds.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold