Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT should I?

I have been looking for a Spyder for my wife. She found this one near us so I would like to hear from some people with experience this would be a good choice or if a different year might be better.

Spyder Garage

If you can give us more details in what she is looking for me may be able to answer your questions.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredux View Post
    If you can give us more details in what she is looking for me may be able to answer your questions.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    This one is what she would like I just wanted to know if a 2010 or 2011 were any different and if one would be better as far as problems? If so what should we look out for?

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT-S SE5

I traded my '08 for a 2010 back in March. Could not be more pleased. Already have about 5,500 trouble free miles on it (plus the 2,200 miles on it when I purchased it). Good luck on your hunt for a Spyder. I found mine at a dealer that had an ad on Craig's List. My daughter is looking at a 2012 RT now that was found via Craig's List.

Just a thought.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by JacCh View Post
    I have been looking for a Spyder for my wife. She found this one near us so I would like to hear from some people with experience this would be a good choice or if a different year might be better.
    I have a 2010 RT SE and love it. Had 2k miles when I got it and now has 7,500. Love Bugs small.jpgAnd the Lovebugs came with it for free!

Spyder Garage

2010 was the first year for the RT and had lot's of bugs.
    I have all of those bugs worked out of mine, but can't be sure of anyone else's.
    Since then, I"m VERY happy with my 2010.
    I'd go for a 2011 if I were you.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JacCh View Post
    This one is what she would like I just wanted to know if a 2010 or 2011 were any different and if one would be better as far as problems? If so what should we look out for?
    I am the happy owner of both a 2010 RT-Premier Edition--35,000 miles so far. Also own a 2011 RT A & C purchased in 2012 new. 9,500 miles in one season of driving.

The 2010 has more chrome parts and the automatic suspension adjustment, in comparison to the 2011. We are very pleased with both machines. The 2011 seems a little more smooth in riding, but that is my impression when going from one to the other.

I have not had any major issues with either , and were I to sell or trade either--I could say the new owner would be getting a great machine. Other than throttle body issues (I never had any), which have been fixed by computer adjustments, the 10, 11, and 12 model years of the RT are pretty good in regards to being mostly problem free.

I am considering a new 2014--because I want the newest and best (bigger engine, and tranny changes). If that happens, I will be sad to say farewell to my 2010--not glad to get rid of it.

Make sure you test drive your used machine. Have the dealer go over it good. Have him run the history on the VIN and see what service has been performed, as well as any issues that may have cropped up with that particular unit. If its owned by a SL member, they post both good and bad about machines.

Let us know what you decide. Happy hunting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

There is a lot of variability in the reliability of the 2010 RT's. I'd be more comfortable with one with a known history, good maintenance/repair record, valid reason for selling, and an extended warranty still in effect.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

A friend of mine has a 2011 RT-L and no problems in 16,000+ miles. If I would be buying a RT it would be a 2011 or 2012. They seem to be the best years. That's IMHO

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT-S - 21K Miles, Regular Services and Recall Bulletins - No Probs.

I have had my "Elvira," a Timeless Black, 2010 RT-S Premier Edition (#391) since January 2010. It's had a handful of small issue items (NOT a lot of bugs, per a previous poster). The recalls adjusted/re-set the ASC, put a cotter pin in the brake pedal linkage, some adhesive around the gromets holding the side panels on ... and that was pretty much it. Everything else was regular services. Now, I am a high-mileage (about 6K per year) ryder, so I did find some things needed improving. What I basically did was upgraded, through aftermarket mods, what Can Am has evolved to through 2013.:

2010 stock shocks were cheap. Replaced with Elka Stage 1+Rs w/300 pound springs. Then added the Baja Ron Sway bar, and finally, SpyderPoP's Bump Skid. The bike is solid, rides flat, no sway.
    2010-2012 stock seat was mushy an not orthopedically crafted. Replaced with a Corbin RT seat, backrest and passenger backrest.
    2010-2012 stock wind screen too big and air-obstructive, costing fuel. Replaced with 2013 25" sport touring windscreen with vent.
    2010-2011 lower wind deflectors nonfunctional. Replaced with 2013 lower wind deflectors that articulate.
    2010-2012 stock front/rear side marker "reflectors" cheap and non-functional, as well as no top case light. Replaced with Bright Sides lights, front fenders, front mud flap, and hard cases. Also installed the HMT Brake light on top case.
    2010-2012 stock exhaust inefficient and heavy. Replaced with Ackropovic Sport Touring Silencer (from Can Am). Gained back 6hp and the unit is half the weight of the stock unit. Mpg is no consistently in the low to mid 30s. More 'bottom' sound at idle, nice and quiet on the road.
    2010-2012 RT footpegs are ... well ... footpegs. Blah. Replaced with ISCI floorboards.

So, while I can attest that the fundamental machine is fine, if you're considering a 2010, I would take a close look to see what the original owner did insofar as beefing her up.

Best,

Paul

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    I have had my "Elvira," a Timeless Black, 2010 RT-S Premier Edition (#391) since January 2010. It's had a handful of small issue items (NOT a lot of bugs, per a previous poster). The recalls adjusted/re-set the ASC, put a cotter pin in the brake pedal linkage, some adhesive around the gromets holding the side panels on ... and that was pretty much it. Everything else was regular services. Now, I am a high-mileage (about 6K per year) ryder, so I did find some things needed improving. What I basically did was upgraded, through aftermarket mods, what Can Am has evolved to through 2013.:

2010 stock shocks were cheap. Replaced with Elka Stage 1+Rs w/300 pound springs. Then added the Baja Ron Sway bar, and finally, SpyderPoP's Bump Skid. The bike is solid, rides flat, no sway.
    2010-2012 stock seat was mushy an not orthopedically crafted. Replaced with a Corbin RT seat, backrest and passenger backrest.
    2010-2012 stock wind screen too big and air-obstructive, costing fuel. Replaced with 2013 25" sport touring windscreen with vent.
    2010-2011 lower wind deflectors nonfunctional. Replaced with 2013 lower wind deflectors that articulate.
    2010-2012 stock front/rear side marker "reflectors" cheap and non-functional, as well as no top case light. Replaced with Bright Sides lights, front fenders, front mud flap, and hard cases. Also installed the HMT Brake light on top case.
    2010-2012 stock exhaust inefficient and heavy. Replaced with Ackropovic Sport Touring Silencer (from Can Am). Gained back 6hp and the unit is half the weight of the stock unit. Mpg is no consistently in the low to mid 30s. More 'bottom' sound at idle, nice and quiet on the road.
    2010-2012 RT footpegs are ... well ... footpegs. Blah. Replaced with ISCI floorboards.

So, while I can attest that the fundamental machine is fine, if you're considering a 2010, I would take a close look to see what the original owner did insofar as beefing her up.

Best,

Paul
    Thanks for this info. The 2010 RT SE5 is being sold by a family member of the original owner who was killed iin an accident with his other bike. It has 9180 miles on it. Other than that they do not have any knowledge of what has been done on it. Firm price of $16,999.00. My brother just bought a 2011 RT-S with similar mileage for a bit better price and existing warranty. I think I might keep looking for a 2012 model.
    Last edited by JacCh; 09-21-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

if possible get a buds print out to see if there are any problems and if all updates were done. Visual of course and test ryde...go from there. Some of every year had problems and some had none. So try to get all the info you can...good luck hope your out there soon..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First year bike...
    I put 17,000 miles on mine with a couple of minor, and three major issues...
    But i'm glad that i did it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    There is a lot of variability in the reliability of the 2010 RT's. I'd be more comfortable with one with a known history, good maintenance/repair record, valid reason for selling, and an extended warranty still in effect.
    To me, the extended warranty would be critical. When stuff breaks on a , it can be darned expensive to fix.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) BigLegMac's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT (not)

I did not like my 2010 traded it for 2013. Crashed 13 and will definitely get 2014 rts. I haer the 2012 rt has less problems according to the owners on this site.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I put 59000 miles on my 2010 RTS and I wish I still had it
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had to work through all the bugs on my 2010 too, but it's been a sweet ride since. Unfortunately, other obligations and the lack of riding time has forced me to put it up for sale. It's on the 4 sale section now, if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD