Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default extend ryde time

I have a 12 rs witch I love and I've put close to 20, 000 miles on it. I have highway pegs on it but would love to extend ryde time to 150 miles before I take a break. Right now 50 or 60 miles on it I need to get off and rest my butt and walk around. So any suggestions would be great

Spyder Garage

Default floorboards and a better seat and risers and a taller w/s

will help alot. we all have this same problem to some extent.i believe it is caused by the '' too far to the rear'' foot controls . good luck with it. i usually turn my stereo up really loud and try not to think about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a smartphone with ear buds and does not help that much new seat you say ...

Spyder Garage

Default Check..!!

the different seat add on's like airhawks, gel, sheepskin etc. Wind shields and pegs won't help your butt that much. Next would be going for a different seat. Unfortunately everyone I know can speak for the one seat, the one they bought. They are not cheap and many don't want to admit they did not do as much as they expected, so I can tell you I got the comfort seat and can do 120 or so but by then I need gas anyway. Have gone up to 180+ alone but that's almost on fumes...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

What is making you need to stop? Does your butt hurt, legs cramping, shoulders sore, hands cramping, back urt or tired? Perhaps if we knew more of the reason for your difficulty we could suggest possible remedies.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile

My 2012 RSS went through a comfort transformation with a comfort seat , helibar risors, isci floor boards and extended highway pegs , nav and I'm good to go as far as the tank will last also the I so grips and throttle boss helps improve comfort without cramping.

Spyder Garage

The 2 things that made the biggest difference to me were a Utopia back rest and a gel/foam cushion. I got a cheap one instead of the lambskin but I love it. It fits the RT seat perfectly

http://www.homegoodscenter.com/bnf-g...hannelid=FROOG

gel seat.jpg
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Truthfully, I think your seat makes all the difference in the world in going long distance.

On our RT Limited we have the Ultimate seat and even my wife can ryde all day and not get tired and worn out and is ready to go again the next day. The Ultimate seat appeared way too firm to begin with but after hours in the saddle it is the best thing going.

On out ST-S we tried the OEM seat and discarded it right away. Next was the BRP comfort seat and while it is better, it is not that great. Next will be an Ultimate seat for our ST-S.

If your butt ain't comfortable you just ain't gonna ryde.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For the RS/GS my butt has been on quite a few including: stock, sts, comfort, ultimate, corbin, a random custom seat from another member. While they all have there different levels of comfort, NONE of the above have been what I would call "GREAT". The closest so far for me has been the STS seat and it's what I have on currently.
    However, I DO have something special on it's way to me directly from Motorcycledave. I'm pretty excited about it, so we'll see....
    Everyone is different and you really won't know until you are able to spend some time sitting on them...
    Doug

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    the different seat add on's like airhawks, gel, sheepskin etc. Wind shields and pegs won't help your butt that much. Next would be going for a different seat. Unfortunately everyone I know can speak for the one seat, the one they bought. They are not cheap and many don't want to admit they did not do as much as they expected, so I can tell you I got the comfort seat and can do 120 or so but by then I need gas anyway. Have gone up to 180+ alone but that's almost on fumes...
    Covers pretty much what I would say. I have replaced the OEM seats on all four 's owned. I find the OEM seat way to soft for my liking. Have had two Corbins and two BRP comfort seats. I am currently liking the BRP comfort seat the best.

A comfortable seat in conjunction with sheepskin/gel pad, airhawk cushion, and floorboards make for a variety of combinations. I have and use all of the above, it depends on my "pain of the day" as to which combo I use (sheepskin/gel, airhawk, both or neither) in conjunction with the seat/floorboards. I also have to get off and stretch every hour or so (hip issues)--but I can still make the distance if I have to.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Get a Cramp Buster that will fit your grips, a GB1 fits my 2011 RS-S. Check any bike shop or on EBAY: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CrampBuster-...ba91c8&vxp=mtr . Great for the highway riding.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After being on the spyder for some time I can move around and stretch my legs on the highway pegs but I think its all in the seat I just have to get off after 50 miles or so or my poor butt just hurts a lot. I would love to be able to be able to ryde until I need gas and if a new seat it is then that is what I will have to do. Thanks for all the info

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Additional info would help cause not all people are the same.
    What part of your butt hurts (hotspots)?
    How tall are you?
    What do you weigh?
    How do your hands/arms feel with the stock seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

now we're getting personal lets see I'm just under 6 ft tall and around 260 pounds what hurts is the bottom of my butt feels like the seat has to much roundness to it don't know if that helps never really talked about my butt

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Haha...sounds like you are about the same size as I am and I had the same feeling on the stock seat. Like it was trying to split me in half with the round barrel shape....lol
    My $.02 from personal experience.
    -Skip the Corbin and Ultimate. Both of those seats move you closer to the bars and puts your ankles further behind you. Both of those seats were comfortable as long as you don't have to keep your feet on the pegs.
    -the STS has pretty good ergonomics and i can put quite a few miles on easier, but is super soft. The cover material is loose but grippy on the butt.
    -the BRP comfort seat flat butt area isn't large enough (front to back) and rounds off/drops off to drastically where your legs hit your but cheeks. This caused me to get the sliding forward/falling off the seat feeling.
    Again, my $.02 for me and my frame size. Others will be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greatrides View Post
    now we're getting personal lets see I'm just under 6 ft tall and around 260 pounds what hurts is the bottom of my butt feels like the seat has to much roundness to it don't know if that helps never really talked about my butt
    Now we're getting somewhere! There are a number of seat choices. Unfortunately, not any one is perfeect for every rider. The best bet is to buy one with a return policy, get a custom seat with a rework policy included, or to try a variety of them (with permission) at a Spyder event. Seat choices include the BRP Comfort Seat, custom rebuilds like those from Russel Day-Long or Dave's VCU (see SL home page), or aftermarket replacements like the Ultimate or Corbin.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default this is great

Were else can we help someone with a hurting butt get help. I don't want to be closer to the bars just don't want to hurt on long rydes. Will check out a couple and let everyone know witch one works for me.

Spyder Garage

Default AirHawk R

Before spending big bucks on replacement seats try an AirHawk R. Amazon has them for around $135 shipped. I had some rear end problem you really don't want to hear about trust me me, and I got an AirHawk R and I was able to ride. Good Luck!
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Another thumbs up for Airhawk R. Wife and I both have them and love them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

I used the Air-Hawk R on the stock seat for my RS for the first 7000 miles. Its better but still hard on the butt due to the unfortunate shape of the stock seat.

Enter Comfort seat. Nice flat sitting surface. Much better but still have aching butt. Might be due to how tenderized my butt already was from many miles on an oddly shaped seat.

Enter Air-Hawk R. Combined with the comfort seat its the answer for me. Now I ride for miles and miles and actually forgot all about my poor butt because its just no longer an issue. Plus, a nice comfy seat makes your highway pegs really useful where as before I could hardly use them.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default seat

I was getting about 35 minutes driving time on my stock 2012RT-S SM5 seat before it got to where I had to stop due to pain (6'4" -- 226 lbs) -- read spyderlovers websight and bought an Ultimate Tall seat -- just road for two tank fulls of gas and had no issues until the last 30 minutes -- but that was due to being cold(55 degrees) and not dressed for it -- love the seat.

Spyder Garage

It bears repeating the seat pad I posted above is a memory foam/ gel seat and for the price does an amazing of keeping my hip and lower back pain free. It may not be the prettiest thing but it works and it is removable. It will also fit the passenger area.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Customizing one's ride to fit your physique and riding style is a good thing. The flip side is physical condition. Maybe you already have a good exercise regimen; if you don't......................... Flexing and stretching exercises are especially important, as properly flexible (for your age group) muscles will definitely contribute to riding comfort, especially on a ride with a sporty riding position. If you do decide to exercise more, use common sense and/or consult with your physician...................DON'T HURT YOURSELF! Why do you want to ride X number of miles before taking a break? I've never understood the "iron butt" thing. Kinda like doing anything else to yourself that's unpleasant. Yea, you can. But, why would you want to? Most travel organizations recommend getting out of your car at least once an hour for a 5 to 10 minute break. I don't know about yours, but my car is a bleep of a lot more comfortable to ride in than the Spider or my ZX. I still like getting out of it at least once an hour; not because I have to, but because I like the break in driving routine. The same holds true for riding the Spider or ZX. In any event.............good luck with your project!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags