Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default ST-S Heat problems

Was planning on getting a 2013 ST-S in about a week but after reading about all the heat issues I am having second thoughts and thinking about holding off a couple months until the 2014's come out. I can get a good deal on a 2013 (16,500) but since this is my first Spyder and a large purchase I don't want to buy this and not want to ride it because it gets too hot. How do you think the heat problem will be after the recall work does the heat wrap? And would you wait for the 2014's?

Spyder Garage

Wow, if I could have got a ST-S for $16,500 knowing the heat problems, I would have jumped on that and spent a $100 on some quality heat shield.

I bought mine just before hearing about the heat issues.

After I take it in for the recall I'm gonna add a little more heat shield around things for insurance.

I have under 200 miles and no heat issues yet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default choices, choices..!!

though not fixed by a long shot solutions are arising in the heat issue. When cooler weather prevails this may no longer be an issue. The 14's have changes addressing the heat problems. Have not heard how well the work so time will tell. If it is price go for the 13, if not an issue and you have doubts go for the 14..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    though not fixed by a long shot solutions are arising in the heat issue. When cooler weather prevails this may no longer be an issue. The 14's have changes addressing the heat problems. Have not heard how well the work so time will tell. If it is price go for the 13, if not an issue and you have doubts go for the 14..
    When cooler weather prevails this may no longer be an issue?????? that is not a fix...cause then it will show it's ugly face when the temps heat up and we will have many more miles and more damage to everything under the tupperware

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't hold your breath... Although the heat issue with the 2013's is serious, there are reports of some that barely have problems. Mine for example, has 8100 miles on it, put the "band aid" on it (recall) at 7900, and when the shield was placed there was no signs of melting parts. And I have ridden my RT on the interstate several times in the middle of summer at 95+ degrees. I'd take the deal, but if you want to wait for the 2014, it will not be around for at least December/January (rumor mill saying that the RT's are coming out first, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that either...).

Spyder Garage

Default The big question

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    When cooler weather prevails this may no longer be an issue?????? that is not a fix...cause then it will show it's ugly face when the temps heat up and we will have many more miles and more damage to everything under the tupperware
    The big question will be if the 2014 ST's have eliminated the heat issues, period. Heat shields and tape are not a solution to me.

My perception of a $25000+ toy is to get on it and ride from coast to coast without a thought of failure or safety issues.

It appears BRP is making great strides in the maintenance schedule with the 2014 RT. I sincerely want to see the Spyder become rock solid reliable.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    The big question will be if the 2014 ST's have eliminated the heat issues, period. Heat shields and tape are not a solution to me.
    Agreed, heat shields and tape are not a solution, only a band-aid. And a poor one at that.

I'm also thinking and hoping that the new body panels on the 2014 ST roadsters, and soon to be available for the 2013 ST roadsters, will cure most if not all of the uncomfortable heat problems.

Carl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST-L

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Charlyne you read my mind! The longer we wait the less change of getting things resolved.

Cathy

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

With the weather cooling all we can do is hope BRP has the info they need to come up with something for the 2013's...

And hope they're the kind of company we all expect them to be.

I keep hearing (from BRP) that there's something coming for us... fingers crossed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pokerpaul View Post
    Was planning on getting a 2013 ST-S in about a week but after reading about all the heat issues I am having second thoughts and thinking about holding off a couple months until the 2014's come out. I can get a good deal on a 2013 (16,500) but since this is my first Spyder and a large purchase I don't want to buy this and not want to ride it because it gets too hot. How do you think the heat problem will be after the recall work does the heat wrap? And would you wait for the 2014's?
    You present a difficult question since everything is in "limbo" mode at this time.

Much discussion about heat issues with 2013 ST's. "New and improved" side panels for the 2014 ST's. Big issues about retrofitting 13's with the panels. No actual consumer testing as of yet on the 2014 panels, and no real "heat" to do it in.

The above makes the 2013's a "buyers market" as far as getting a good deal. You have a wait and see situation on the 2014's.

As mentioned previously, you must consider saving money versus problem solved. If it were me, I would be waiting to see that the fix really works. I am demanding enough that I want a machine to work and stay working without a bunch of issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red