Spyder Garage

Default CLOUDINESS BEHIND INSTRUMENT PANEL

I have recently noticed a cloudiness or smudges on the inside of the clear instrument panel on my ST-S. Does anyone know if that clear panel can be taken out, cleaned, and put back in? I notice the screws at the four corners of the panel, but can I get to the clear panel if I take these out, or does the whole cluster pull out? If anyone has been able to do this, please let me know. Thanks!!VisitedStatesMap.jpeg
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't recommend trying to clean it yourself. On my 2010 I had what looked like a fingerprint on the inside of the panel and it drove me nuts. So when I was disconnecting the analog gauges I decided to clean it. Well it seems that they put some kind of coating on the inside of the plastic, maybe to keep it from fogging, and I had a heck of a time getting the whole thing clean. I'd have the dealer look at it next time you are in, that way if they mess it up its on them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Dealer has changed mine twice under warranty for same reason.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I noticed the same problem on our new ST-S the other night and am going to have the dealer replace it before too many miles are accrued. Seems like this, instrument panel sealing, should be one of the BRP strong-suits since they build so many Seadoos.

Carl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    So when I was disconnecting the analog gauges I decided to clean it. Well it seems that they put some kind of coating on the inside of the plastic, maybe to keep it from fogging, and I had a heck of a time getting the whole thing clean.
    So were you actually able to remove the front panel from the instrument cluster?

Carl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven't personally done one but a good friend had to replace his due to cracked/damage. From what I remember him saying it's a $15 part and wasn't a huge deal to swap out. It all comes apart and pretty straight forward. The cluster does have to come out.
    Does the ST cluster come out the same as the RS with the two little tabs on the top you access with a very small screwdriver??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Can be done..!!

We had a member in Spain who wanted to change the color of the lights in the cluster. He did with our help, changed the led bulbs and attached pic's of the process. Need to search the threads...just remember the dealers will not fix just replace and you lose your mileage...!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    just remember the dealers will not fix just replace and you lose your mileage...!!
    That just doesn't make any sense. When replacing an instrument cluster the dealer should have one shot at setting mileage. How dumb not to be able to do such a simple task.

Carl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

+1 seems strange they still haven't learned how to push a mileage into new replacement clusters. Actually it borders on being illegal as people could sell bike with lowered mileage then actual

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I know on some clusters you only get one chance to input the mileage and then the gate is closed.

Carl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had my 2013 RT lens changed it was independent of the cluster. Don't know if the cluster has another one on it but it is part of the bezel 4 bolts and it is off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I had my 2013 RT lens changed it was independent of the cluster. Don't know if the cluster has another one on it but it is part of the bezel 4 bolts and it is off.
    I agree, that lens is what I took off and tried to clean.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Called my dealer today and he said the clear panel cannot be removed on the ST's. The whole cluster would have to be replaced. He said he could do it under warranty, but I'll just live with it. It's not noticeable unless you look at it from a certain angle and the light is right.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the same thing happening on my RSS I did take it apart and cleaned it but they came back so gonna need to be replaced..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Called my dealer today and he said the clear panel cannot be removed on the ST's. The whole cluster would have to be replaced. He said he could do it under warranty, but I'll just live with it. It's not noticeable unless you look at it from a certain angle and the light is right.
    Interesting that the ST clusters do not come apart like the RS clusters do...Maybe see if you can schedule the replacement along with a service/oil change??
    Did you happen to ask him if the mileage can be programmed into the new cluster?
    Doug

Spyder Garage

Default SUCCESS!!!!!

After reading that some of you were able to remove the clear panel from the cluster and clean it, I thought there had to be a way! I checked my owners manual and came across the instructions for removing the cluster to replace a headlight. I thought if I could get the cluster off, I could figure out how to remove the clear panel. After I had unhooked the connector from the cluster and completely removed it, I noticed clear tabs all around. I slowly lifted them one by one, and presto!!!, the clear panel came off!!!! I was able to clean the inside and it just snapped back into place. So if any of you ST owners need to clean your clear panel, it can be removed. My dealer was incorrect. Now I am a happy boy!!!!VisitedStatesMap.jpeg
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Indeed that is some good news. Thanks for taking the time to do some investigating and looking into the problem.

Carl

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Instrument cluster

My 2013 ST-Ltd has the same problem. There was fog (at day of delivery) which has gone away mostly but there are still large drip or spray marks on the back. I told my dealer and he said to check it and let him know if it disappears (it hasn't) This is obviously a common issue.

Has this issue been corrected?

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem on my 2013 rt and the dealership replaced the whole unit for free, then my odometer read 11 miles when i picked it up

Spyder Garage

After reading that some of you were able to remove the clear panel from the cluster and clean it, I thought there had to be a way! I checked my owners manual and came across the instructions for removing the cluster to replace a headlight. I thought if I could get the cluster off, I could figure out how to remove the clear panel. After I had unhooked the connector from the cluster and completely removed it, I noticed clear tabs all around. I slowly lifted them one by one, and presto!!!, the clear panel came off!!!! I was able to clean the inside and it just snapped back into place. So if any of you ST owners need to clean your clear panel, it can be removed. My dealer was incorrect. Now I am a happy boy!!!!VisitedStatesMap.jpeg

Thanks for checking it out and letting us know!