Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Sell or Trade In

Hi my friends;

I would like some suggestions on what I should do. I have always relied on my wife to help make my decisions and now that she is gone I find it hard to know which way to go. So I need some help.

I can not decide if I should trade my 2012 or sell it myself. I have a White 2012 RT S SE Limited with less than 3,000 miles on it. Never a minutes trouble. I have added Ron's Sway Bar, a Bump Skid, Seal Floor Boards and have turn signals that go in the mirrors ready to install. It is a beautiful but the 2014 looks like a lot less maintenance, and at 80 yrs old I have to have pay someone for most of the things I want done. The 2012 is paid for, so am I foolish at my age to buy something my kids will fight over when I'm gone or what. I probably will not be able to ride many more years and that's why I am asking the question, sell it myself, trade it in for a 2012 RT or just ride what I have.

( I know what you are going to say Bob. Buy the RT 2014)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you sell it your self you will get a better price but have to deal with the advertising, looky loos, paperwork and prep.

If you trade it in then you loose money but no hassle.

Are you sure that the 14 will be setup as you want or will you need to add stuff to it to get it right?

If you need to add stuff do you want to or do you just want to ride?

Are there any known problems with the 14's that yours doesn't have.

Do you have the money to spend on the new one?

Is there a reason for not just buying the new one and keeping the old one also?

I think you need to consider these thoughts before making your decision and just maybe they will make it for you.

Spyder Garage

My way of thanking is to keep the 2012 and enjoy the ride. The cost of repairs are far less than the cost of trading up. I have a 2012 RTS with over 20000 miles and i love it and wouldn't trade untill the 2014 has been out a year.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would suggest that you'll just need to decide which is more important to you; getting more money for the 2012 Limited, or having less aggravation during the entire transaction...
    Whichever way you decide to go; the best of luck to you!

(And I didn't say it! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Trade or sell...

Words to live by...

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    If you sell it your self you will get a better price but have to deal with the advertising, looky loos, paperwork and prep.

If you trade it in then you loose money but no hassle.

Are you sure that the 14 will be setup as you want or will you need to add stuff to it to get it right?

If you need to add stuff do you want to or do you just want to ride?

Are there any known problems with the 14's that yours doesn't have.

Do you have the money to spend on the new one?

Is there a reason for not just buying the new one and keeping the old one also?

I think you need to consider these thoughts before making your decision and just maybe they will make it for you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

IMO, if you are fully satisfied with your 2012, no problems...............why sell it or trade it, continue to enjoy it. Its less than 2 years old. Now if you are one of those with lots of cash and just want a new ride, may I suggest you pass off the 2012 to me as a gift and go for the 2014.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't bet on the maintenance being as advertised just yet. The marketing us sure to be a best case scenario. Even auto makers put an * next to their intervals for "extreme" conditions, which encompasses most use cases.

You'll lose thousands to save a few hundred. I say keep the old proven and add miles to it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default trade

i personally would prefer to trade it in. because i don't want any hassles with someone i sold a bike to. the bike could be the best bike in the world for you but as soon as the new owner turns the corner the motor could blow and your stuck with the problems. now what i did with my last bike is put it in the dealer on consignment and went through him to sell it. it sold right away but he took 1000.00 dollars for doing it for me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ride ride ride and enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERFUZZ View Post
    Hi my friends;

I would like some suggestions on what I should do. I have always relied on my wife to help make my decisions and now that she is gone I find it hard to know which way to go. So I need some help.

I can not decide if I should trade my 2012 or sell it myself. I have a White 2012 RT S SE Limited with less than 3,000 miles on it. Never a minutes trouble. I have added Ron's Sway Bar, a Bump Skid, Seal Floor Boards and have turn signals that go in the mirrors ready to install. It is a beautiful but the 2014 looks like a lot less maintenance, and at 80 yrs old I have to have pay someone for most of the things I want done. The 2012 is paid for, so am I foolish at my age to buy something my kids will fight over when I'm gone or what. I probably will not be able to ride many more years and that's why I am asking the question, sell it myself, trade it in for a 2012 RT or just ride what I have.

so much time is spent and money on the hobbies of accessorize and gadgets and widgets i see this many times after the bike is done the way you want it then the passion is gone and you want to start a new project I know this have rebuilt two bikes and after made perfect i sold them i am now restoring a bmw /5 remember your lovely bride and the fun you had rid ride ride and enjoy gd bless

Spyder Garage

With just 3,000 miles on it my choice would be to keep it. My 2012 RT just turned 17,000 and I have decided to keep it another year and probably go for a new one in 2015. By then I should have 30,000 or so on it and I feel comfortable that it will get there without major problems. I'd like to see the 2014's get several thousand miles on them and see how the public and dealers react to any issues that may arise.

But, I am five years younger than you, so you have to decide how badly you want it now. I plan to be riding in my nineties and you should too.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I were you, I'll buy 2014 and ride and have fun. All the farkles you invest on the 2012 consider them gone. I will not worry about my kids what decisions they will make after me. I raised them to love each other.

Ultimately it's your decision to make. Good luck and God Bless you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramsail View Post
    My way of thanking is to keep the 2012 and enjoy the ride. The cost of repairs are far less than the cost of trading up. I have a 2012 RTS with over 20000 miles and i love it and wouldn't trade untill the 2014 has been out a year.
    I have 21000 trouble free miles on my 2012.I will wait a year and see how the 2014 performs.Hopefully trouble free.

ivor

Spyder Garage

Ride your 2012 sir. For the amount of miles you are putting on it, your not going to have huge maintenance fees. Its paid off, farkled and you have no issues with it.

There is no guarantee the 2014 isnt going to have issues, we just don't know what they are yet.

Enjoy your current ride all you can.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

God has blessed you to be riding at 80. The 2012 is a proven machine that you had made just for you. The 2014 has yet to be proven. Myself, I'd keep the 2012 and enjoy it. At least till the 2014 is proven. Be safe riding and God bless you. Butch
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Ride your 2012 sir. For the amount of miles you are putting on it, your not going to have huge maintenance fees. Its paid off, farkled and you have no issues with it.

There is no guarantee the 2014 isnt going to have issues, we just don't know what they are yet.

Enjoy your current ride all you can.
    I would ride the 2012 at Least until OCT 2014 so you know what the feedback is and then get a Great Fall Deal on a leftover!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Selling stuff yourself might be more of a hassle than you want to go through. There's always the worry about a bad check and what not all. Check with your dealer and see if he'll give you what you think is a fair trade price. But what ever you decide, by all means go get yourself that 2014 spyder, you only live once, and you get to spend a little of the kids inheritance. I hope you are able to enjoy your new ride for many miles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might talk to your dealer about having them take yours on consignment. You will have the benefit on his sales force and customer base without the hassles of dealing directly with buyers.

I hope you enjoy many more years of riding on whatever Spyder you chose to ride.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Sell it or trade it???......

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERFUZZ View Post
    Hi my friends;

Trade it or sell it. Whichever is faster! Go for it and HAVE A BLAST!!
    ronbo

Spyder Garage

Everyones advice is right on. Some of it comes from different viewpoints--but still right on.

Now, that was helpful, wasn't it?

At 80, I am impressed. I was talking about the 2014 as being my final . Heck, then I would be committed to ryding it for 12 years. I have yet to own a vehicle that long.

They say, you only go around once in life. I say, if you want the new 2014, go for it and don't look back. You don't want to have to say "wow, I could have had a V-8".

Get what you want, and have a blast. Let others fight over the spoils.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Trade or Sell privately

I don't know the way things work where you are. Up here in Ontario Canada, If you trade your vehicle on a vehicle (say $30.000) and get $22,000 for your trade. You would only pay tax on the $8,000 difference. If you sell private and buy the vehicle at full price, then you pay tax on the $30,000. Our tax rate (HST) is 13%. You would have to sell that vehicle for $2,760 more than the dealer gives you just to break even. (doesn't factor in advertising, hassle of tryouts etc.... Something to think about!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only you can really answer the question. I am very happy with my 2012 RT A&C but I am trading up for the bigger engine and getting a trailer. I ride 2 up a lot and having a bigger power plant is going to help. That is the only reason I am upgrading. Have had ZERO issues with mine and hope I don't have any with the 2014 RT.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

See which of your children likes you best! Offer it to them and see who will pay the most.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

But, I am five years younger than you, so you have to decide how badly you want it now. I plan to be riding in my nineties and you should too.
    Excellent response. I always hate to hear people limit themselves. I work in physical therapy in a hospital setting and it always saddens me when I hear someone limiting themselves based on their age. Thank you.

To the OP, you've been given good advice by many. I'm sure you'll make the choice that's right for you.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    With just 3,000 miles on it my choice would be to keep it. My 2012 RT just turned 17,000 and I have decided to keep it another year and probably go for a new one in 2015. By then I should have 30,000 or so on it and I feel comfortable that it will get there without major problems. I'd like to see the 2014's get several thousand miles on them and see how the public and dealers react to any issues that may arise.

Thanks for your input. In your 90's. Remind me to stay out of GA.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Olddood View Post
    I don't know the way things work where you are. Up here in Ontario Canada, If you trade your vehicle on a vehicle (say $30.000) and get $22,000 for your trade. You would only pay tax on the $8,000 difference. If you sell private and buy the vehicle at full price, then you pay tax on the $30,000. Our tax rate (HST) is 13%. You would have to sell that vehicle for $2,760 more than the dealer gives you just to break even. (doesn't factor in advertising, hassle of tryouts etc.... Something to think about!!!
    Thanks very good point. 13%? Ours are 8.25% Side note: my grandparents came from Quebec. I was born 60 miles from Montreal.