Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default auto versus manual transmission opinion

looking at purchasing a spyder in the next year and was wondering about everyones opinions. of manual versus auto transmission. Please post WHY.

Spyder Garage

Default Auto Verses Manual Trans shift

Have you read all the posts on when to shift up or down on an Auto trans?

With an auto shift transmission it is imperative that you keep your RPM above 3500 (give or take a few hundred). If you run / cruise under that RPM there is a chance your clutch is not fully engaged causing slippage which can cause premature DEATH on your wallet.

It is not as critical with a manual shift transmission.
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post
    Have you read all the posts on when to shift up or down on an Auto trans?

With an auto shift transmission it is imperative that you keep your RPM above 3500 (give or take a few hundred). If you run / cruise under that RPM there is a chance your clutch is not fully engaged causing slippage which can cause premature DEATH on your wallet.

It is not as critical with a manual shift transmission.
    Not if they buy a 2014 RT!!!

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sharkfeed2000 View Post
    looking at purchasing a spyder in the next year and was wondering about everyones opinions. of manual versus auto transmission. Please post WHY.
    First there is no option for an automatic transmission. BRP calls it a semi-automatic and that is a stretch. The only time it will shift for you is on the down shift when you are too busy or lazy to do it yourself. Other then that you have to decide when to shift up or down. The big difference is there is no clutch for you to control.

It really doesn't matter what other people think about one or the other it would be best if you rode both and decided for yourself.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default trans

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Not if they buy a 2014 RT!!!
    YES you are right..
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Spyder Garage

Default choices, choices..!!

first off I have the manual transmission on my spyder as well as my cars. I have not driven the semi trans spyder has put out. Know many that have them and love them. Good amount of them can't handle or don't want to deal with the clutch. I on the other hand like having control. I like coasting down hill by simply pulling in the clutch. I like leaving the bike in gear when parked. I like downshifting when I want. I like not having the bike hang up in gears and having the clutch fully engage when I release the lever. Etc...just me. .!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I vote for the SE5. If you set the trailer option on, it won't let you upshift if the RPMs after the shift are below 3500. Also, it will automatically downshift when the RPMs fall below about 3300. Plus, it's a heck of a lot easier than a manual. No clutch to work and hitting the paddle can be done even if your feet are on highway pegs.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The semi auto is convenient for sure and if I lived and drove in the city all the time I would have one but I prefer the control of the sm and search the posts the repair problems are 10 to 1 for the se plus 1500 more cost more service expense more heat on the left side having to worry about not dropping under 3500rpm plus you can bump start a dead battery machine ill take a Manuel thanks
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

I have owned both versions of the . 2008 SM5 and the other three, SE5's. The ONLY trouble I have experienced with the SE5 is that the linkage disconnected on my 2010. One time. Other than that, I can say all have been good.

I recently rented an SM5 (the only version available), and did not like it as much as my original purchase. I guess I have grown soft since 2010. I like the ease of using my thumb or fingers to change gears. The rental about drove me nuts with all the clutching and foot shifting--but I made it anyway.

Its a personal call--just like seats, helmets, gear.

Bottom line, I recommend test driving both flavors to see what you like best. The SE5 will also cost about $1,500 more per bike.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Test drove the SE and bought an SM.
    Love the SM for reasons others have said, control.
    However when stuck in traffic the SE would be better for sure!
    So if you plan to do a lot of in traffic or in town with a lot of stop and go, the SE would be the best bet.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Been ridding motorbikes for many years and I love the semi automatic. You still have to shift,so you still have control. You just have paddle shifters on the handle bars to go up and down the gears no clutch.

If your in a hurry and open her up you can shift through the gears extremely easy with paddle shifting. You can still manually paddle shift down but if the spyder will do it for you as you come to a stop or your RPM drops and you accelerate.

SE on 2013 you have to keep your RPM hight to keep the clutch engaged, not really an issue once you are used to it and it becomes habit. If you plan to tow a trailer on the 2013 and below you have to put the spyder in trailer mode, this basically alter the shift points. With a manual you don't have to worry about RPM or trailer mode as you control the shift points.

To me an SE is the best of both worlds, I can shift down when I want or leave the spyder to work it out. You have to shift up anyway just flick of the thumb, no clutch, no rolling off the gas.

The new 2014 RT's with the new triple don't have have trailer mode or the need to watch the RPM as they have the torque to handle.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Manual shift--the only way to go for me!!!

Spyder Garage

Don't think I'll ever buy a car without a manual transmission if I can avoid it, LOVE manuals... in cars.

On the Spyder, the SE is the only way to go for me. Part of its unique charm, and soooo much more fun than riding the manual Spyder IME. They designed this setup very well.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I have the SE, I would not call it automatic as the only thing it does automatically is done shift. You have to shift up at the right time when the clutch is engaged. I have to deal with a lot of traffic so it works for me. I never let it down shift cause it seems like it waits to late and I don't like the way it feels when it down shifts automatically.
    I recommend trying both and decide what works best for you.
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is more lke, "Blondes versus Brunettes, bversus Redheads..."
    Yes! The choice is up to you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Manual for me because I don't want to learn something new to do with my left thumb. With 25 other motorcycles in the stable, the less that changes from one to the other the better. For my wife it was a manual because she could get one at least six months before the SE was available.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I think that's gonna be a matter of what you feel more comfortable with and what type of bike you want. If your gonna go with a touring model I would thing the SE5 would be a pretty good choice. I have a RSS and I think with being a sport bike manual is the only option I would choose. I can shift my manual just as fast if not faster then any push button shift out there and I still feel manuals have more control. If you have ridden manual bikes in the past these are really no difference, if you have no bike riding experience try them both but working the clutch takes practice but comes pretty quick.

What ever you decide make the bike your own and you'll be happy.

Spyder Garage

I've been riding motorcycles since 1968 and went with the semi-auto on my Spyder. Will do the same if I get a 2014. Why? No clutch lever. That is really great in heavy traffic, large group rides and parades. You still shift...like a paddle shifter on a race car or a sports car...but don't have to worry about the clutch. I love not having my left hand cramp up in heavy traffic.

YMMV.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    I can shift my manual just as fast if not faster then any push button shift out there
    If I recall the technical stats about the SE transmission, this is not true-- the SE5 shifts faster than the manual, no matter how fast a rider can shift.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    If I recall the technical stats about the SE transmission, this is not true-- the SE5 shifts faster than the manual, no matter how fast a rider can shift.
    Well I have not road many SE5 but I'd be willing to test that theory

Spyder Garage

Either would be enjoyable. I have ridden for over 25 yrs with a manual, BUT, before you buy, try the semi-auto. IT'S JUST PLAIN FUN!
    My $.02.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    Been ridding motorbikes for many years and I love the semi automatic. You still have to shift,so you still have control. You just have paddle shifters on the handle bars to go up and down the gears no clutch.

If your in a hurry and open her up you can shift through the gears extremely easy with paddle shifting. You can still manually paddle shift down but if the spyder will do it for you as you come to a stop or your RPM drops and you accelerate.

SE on 2013 you have to keep your RPM hight to keep the clutch engaged, not really an issue once you are used to it and it becomes habit. If you plan to tow a trailer on the 2013 and below you have to put the spyder in trailer mode, this basically alter the shift points. With a manual you don't have to worry about RPM or trailer mode as you control the shift points.

To me an SE is the best of both worlds, I can shift down when I want or leave the spyder to work it out. You have to shift up anyway just flick of the thumb, no clutch, no rolling off the gas.

The new 2014 RT's with the new triple don't have have trailer mode or the need to watch the RPM as they have the torque to handle.

harry
    I love my SE 5, I can't wait for SE 6
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

My 2011 RT was an SM (manual) and my 2012 RT is an SE (I have no idea what the E stands for). I prefer the semi auto for three reasons....

1. The top of my left boot stays shined
    2. My left wrist continually thanks me for going to the semi auto, especially in heavy traffic
    3. I can tell folks it shifts just like a Ferrari
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    Well I have not road many SE5 but I'd be willing to test that theory
    The published shift time is 0.4 seconds, but under certain conditions will take longer because of the extended time to feather in the clutch for rider comfort.

Now if you can do a repeated clean shift under 0.4 seconds then

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Yeah
    but ya never know a clean fast shift