Thread: Dodged a bullet

Spyder Garage

Default Dodged a bullet

Let me start by saying I love my ST LTD. Today I rode the 2hrs to my dealer in KC to have the recall work done. What they found was that my MC had melted but rather than melting to the outside and releasing the brake fluid the plastic flowed to the inside and sealed a valve of some sort that affected my brakes. My mechanic found the problem after adding the heat shield and getting ready to take it for a test drive, since there was no indication of a problem before they took the tupperware off, the service folks are surmising that the melting and then hardening happen on the ride in and then while the bike sat waiting it's turn for service. So here I am 100+ miles from home and no way to get back to my car (hubby is working in south Texas) and no replacement MC in town. The dealer allowed the service dept. to open a crated spyder and take the MC from that new machine to put on my bike so I could get home today. So what was to take an hour ended up taking 6 hrs. but I was able to ryde home in a severe thunderstorm warning (yes I got SOAKED but missed the hail and 60 mph wind). This was service that I truly appreciate as I leave in the morning for Denver to pick up one of my granddaughters. All that being said a big thank you to Reno's Powersports and all the guys there who worked so hard to get me on the road, they even drove me to get some lunch, that is extra service in my book. Penny

Spyder Garage

As part of the recall instructions The tech is to inspect the MC manifold for melting at the bottom that could allow reserve front brake fluid to leak out and to inspect the top that may collapse and block reserve fluid from entering the front brake system. If the tech was already installing the heat shield before seeing the collapsed manifold he was working in the wrong order. It is good that he found it and that they replaced the MC with one from another Spyder. Even if it had blocked completely you would have still had brakes but they would have become worse over time.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default nice service

Glad to hear that they were able to fix it same day when i called my dealer and made my appointment for the recall work i suggested to them that it might be a good idea to have some replacement mc parts in stock so that people don't have to wait for them to order in the parts if they are melted and the service manager thanked me for the suggestion my wife dropped off my STL yesterday for the service that was scheduled for 9:00 AM today and for some reason or another they didn't get to it today I have had great service in the past from this dealership so i will not hold it against them one little bit also they have the best mechanic (platinum certified for sea doo ski doo and can am) enough about Me.

thank goodness that you didn't have any brake failures it sounds like a close one may you have many trouble free miles ahead

Spyder Garage

Default Good news..!!

the part where the dealer went the extra mile and pulled the parts needed to get you back on the road. Sorry mother nature was not as cooperative. Glad you made it and only a bit wet..ok a lot wet..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Service Pluss

THATS WHAT WE'RE TALKIN BOUT HATS OFF TO THOSE GUYS
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Spyder Garage

Now that is service those goes beyond the norm and our hats are off to them for actually doing an excellent job but for also doing the job they are paid to do.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have a GREAT dealer working hard for you!
    on getting everything fixed up, and ready for the road again!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Great to hear your dealer went the extra step

I can only hope my dealer would do the same if need be.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's hope that none of us EVER have to find out...

Spyder Garage

So glad to read this story. Sounds like you have a great dealership that truly cares about their customers
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Glad you have a good dealer. I told mine the MC had evidence of melting . . . but, when I brought it in, 17 days after making the appointment, and 13 days after the recall, they still had to order a master cylinder and a brake cable, because they don't keep parts in stock! They still have my Spyder and the scheduled completion time is now: "Should be sometime next week." Great riding weather, cool and sunny . . . and it sits at the dealership.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that I'd be calling them about twice daily for status reports...
    Sorry to hear that your bike got impounded during some great riding weather!

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by webweaver View Post
    Let me start by saying I love my ST LTD. Today I rode the 2hrs to my dealer in KC to have the recall work done. What they found was that my MC had melted but rather than melting to the outside and releasing the brake fluid the plastic flowed to the inside and sealed a valve of some sort that affected my brakes. My mechanic found the problem after adding the heat shield and getting ready to take it for a test drive, since there was no indication of a problem before they took the tupperware off, the service folks are surmising that the melting and then hardening happen on the ride in and then while the bike sat waiting it's turn for service. So here I am 100+ miles from home and no way to get back to my car (hubby is working in south Texas) and no replacement MC in town. The dealer allowed the service dept. to open a crated spyder and take the MC from that new machine to put on my bike so I could get home today. So what was to take an hour ended up taking 6 hrs. but I was able to ryde home in a severe thunderstorm warning (yes I got SOAKED but missed the hail and 60 mph wind). This was service that I truly appreciate as I leave in the morning for Denver to pick up one of my granddaughters. All that being said a big thank you to Reno's Powersports and all the guys there who worked so hard to get me on the road, they even drove me to get some lunch, that is extra service in my book. Penny
    Penny....how was your canister? I'm curious to the condition of mine...when we replaced my m/c in June no one looked at the canister....seems some replace both and some only m/c

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Penny,

thanks for the info I have got my recall service scheduled for Monday. This will definetly help me ensure that the service dept at Advantage checks it all. Thanks again and if it is any consolation I rode home in the same rain storm just not as long....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Penny....how was your canister? I'm curious to the condition of mine...when we replaced my m/c in June no one looked at the canister....seems some replace both and some only m/c
    That is a good point and I would suggest that everyone insist that their dealer inspect the evap canister when they do the recall. My Spyder had been in for service the month before the fire and the master cylinder was inspected because my parking brake cable had melted. My purge valve had been replaced but they diid not replace the evap canister which would likely have been full of fuel due to the faulty purge valve. Since the dealer instructions for the recall include wrapping the evap canister they must be concerned that it could also melt and if so it would be an even bigger fire risk than brake fluid.

Webweaver, did they say it was your parking brake or the regular brakes with the sealed valve?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That is a good point and I would suggest that everyone insist that their dealer inspect the evap canister when they do the recall. My Spyder had been in for service the month before the fire and the master cylinder was inspected because my parking brake cable had melted. My purge valve had been replaced but they diid not replace the evap canister which would likely have been full of fuel due to the faulty purge valve. Since the dealer instructions for the recall include wrapping the evap canister they must be concerned that it could also melt and if so it would be an even bigger fire risk than brake fluid.

Webweaver, did they say it was your parking brake or the regular brakes with the sealed valve?

The recall instructions are 17 pages long. How and what to inspect are covered. Not just the MC. Parking brake cable, evap canister, electrical wiring are among the items covered that I can remember when I had a chance to do a quick read through. As long as the tech reads and follows the instructions everything should be checked.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post

I'm sorry I didn't ask. I'm probably the lest mechanically inclined person on this site. Penny

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Char, they didn't say anything about the canister and I had asked them to check after some of the threads I had read on SL so I am going to say it was OK. Penny

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Penny,

thanks for the info I have got my recall service scheduled for Monday. This will definetly help me ensure that the service dept at Advantage checks it all. Thanks again and if it is any consolation I rode home in the same rain storm just not as long....
    Unless they received a parts order after Thurs. morning they don't have replacement MC in stock. Just a heads up if you are in a time crunch like I was. Penny