Thread: RS heat issues

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RS heat issues

New to this forum but I have probably read 300 posts......since the 2014 announcement things are " heating" up about the 2013 heat problems. I need to know if this heat thing is just the ST and RT's. I have no desire to own anything other than an RS.....should I buy the 2013 or the 2014? Need some help before I buy. Thanks

Spyder Garage

So far I've heard or read no reports of heat problems with the RS line. However, you might want to wait and get a 2014 because I believe there is a VSS option or change with it.

Then again, you can probably get a great deal on a 2013 right now.

Choice is yours...

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

I don't have the overheating problems like some of the ST's but the exhaust is still little warm on the left side but doesn't looks like that has changed on the 14's

I'm real interrested in VSS change that s coming but I don't like the colors coming. The wheels look different but are the exact same except the machined sections on the spokes . The air grabbers on the sides are pretty cool. So gonna depend if the new colors and couple updates appeal to you or do you like the colors currently out and wanna save cash.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2008 GS (now called RS) and never really had a heat problem. However, if I had to pick a side that was warmer than the other, it would be the right hand side, around my lower leg.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the RS has always been less troublesome than the RT or the ST and I can't recall hearing any complaints at all about the 2013 models. You should be able to get a smoking deal on a 2013 or even a 2012.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses....I thought there was very little chatter about the RS/GS heat issues. Glad to hear it...now I guess I will wait to see what the deal looks like in the spring for a 2013 before I make my decision. BTW....I love this forum! I feel like I am an educated Spyder person before I even own one!

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say..!!

been ryding our RS 2012 sm5 for over a year and have had no problems.I did add some spyderpops heat control items. I have not heard any thing on the 13's or the earlier years. We love the RS and have to say being simpler has less go wrong...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For 2014; all of the heat issue updates that the Sts got have been applied to the RS line as well... These bikes will be cool, and ARE cool!
    The new body panels look meaner too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    been ryding our RS 2012 sm5 for over a year and have had no problems.I did add some spyderpops heat control items. I have not heard any thing on the 13's or the earlier years. We love the RS and have to say being simpler has less go wrong...!!
    The 2012 RS model is the best of the all the RS and the RS-S to date. I have a 2011 RS-S most of my modification I did were where fixed on the 2012 RS. In the 2013 RS model the upgrades they made gave the 2013 RS a hole new set of problems. If you can find a 2012 RS leftover would be the best deal. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    So far I've heard or read no reports of heat problems with the RS line. However, you might want to wait and get a 2014 because I believe there is a VSS option or change with it.

Then again, you can probably get a great deal on a 2013 right now.

Choice is yours...

Carl
    Yea, when I was at my dealership, the weekend before last.................I noticed they had a green 2013 SE5 RSS priced down to $16,800.00 out the door. Big drop from this spring!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    Yea, when I was at my dealership, the weekend before last.................I noticed they had a green 2013 SE5 RSS priced down to $16,800.00 out the door. Big drop from this spring!
    Is that before or after the $3000 rebate BRP is offering right now on 2013's?

I saw a 2013 STS for $16,500...

If you have faith that BRP will figure out the heat issues (or that SpyderLovers will... my money is on SL) then a 2013 is going to be an awesome deal.

But that VSS update on the 2014 (and new shocks) would be tempting.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile

I have to truley say that my 2012 RSS has been a joy to own with ZERO problems and verry little heat on the foots, ive added floor boards and even still having my foot next to the vent on the right side i am not experiencing the heat isseus that the ST or RT's have.
    The RSS is a blast to ride once you make it your own miles on down the road.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Default No issues.

I have an '08 GS that I've put 58k+ mi on with no heat issues. Even made a few 500 and 600 mi trips in 105F heat with no issues....other than getting stuck in down town Dallas "rush hour" traffic in that heat. Bike did fine, I did not.
    A VERY HAPPY RIDER!
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid - Cody Stell

'08 Yellow SM5, 2" BRP handlebar riser, Super Trapp exhaust, sport rack, seat back.
    Future wish list of updates, too numerous to list and too expensive to afford....and I just found Corbin.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RS and there are heat issues just like the ST. The problem is that they moved the cat convertor up the pipe and out of the muffler which creates more heat under the bodywork. It is a simple fix that I would be willing to share with you if you choose a 2013. The "nanny" could be a little more forgiving. Other than the heat issue and the "nanny" I highly recommend the 2013 RS. I have about 2,000 happy miles on mine.