Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we talk...

Spyder Garage

Default Can we talk...

about the 2014 ST now? All the hoopla about the RT is great! BRP may have a winner with it.

My taste is for the ST. My chances of getting a Spyder are looking better. Should I wait ANOTHER year for a ACE triple powered ST? I have no interest at all in a leftover 2013 for obvious reasons. Someone will get a hot deal on those.

Any speculation about what the 2014 ST's will be like? We have the aforementioned new side panels and beefier shocks. Will it be a much improved ride with more comfort and safety. Will the startup bugs be gone?

What are your thoughts? I would like to see the ST lineup pick up. It's being overshadowed by the RT. That's where the focus is. That's where BRP's money is right now.

Registered Users EnjoyingTheRyde's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default In the snowmobile world...

...it is like BRP to bring out a new engine in one model then add it to others the following year but after looking under the tupperware I don't know if an inline triple would fit in the ST chassis as it sits.
    His: 2012 HD Tri Glide Ember Red/Merlot
    Hers: 2012 Can Am Spyder
    RT-S Quantum Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

The RS and ST might get a new motor next year but I do not believe it will be the triple. Not enough room in the current configuration for a wider motor on these two lines.

But I must say I love both of our rydes and the ST is just plain fun to hop on and take a 'Quick' day trip or weekender with the wife.

I consider our 2012 RT Limited the Winnebago and our ST-S the Porsche.

Carl
    Last edited by quickster47; 09-19-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pull the trigger on a 2014! You will NOT be sorry!
    Between the body panels and better heat shielding; the ST will for sure be a winner!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have to disagree with some of the assumptions. The 2013 frames were all redesigned and all models, RS, ST and RT shared the exact same frame. Now it is my understanding that the exact same frame is used for all 2014 models except for motor mounts on the RT. So if I am correct there is no reason that the 1330 can't be put in a ST.

2018 F3 LIMITED

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree the frame was changed to fit the 1330cc engine...so ST could easily have larger engine....I'm anxious to see if the "new enhanced air flow body panels help in pushing the air out of the Tupperware.... I'm waiting on response from BRP to see if they will allow me to test them....sent email Tuesday.....no answer yet...BRP you listening...reading...

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have to disagree with some of the assumptions. The 2013 frames were all redesigned and all models, RS, ST and RT shared the exact same frame. Now it is my understanding that the exact same frame is used for all 2014 models except for motor mounts on the RT. So if I am correct there is no reason that the 1330 can't be put in a ST.

Or into an RSS
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They use the same frame because of the economies of scale... Lots of parts commonality saves on production costs!
    I think that tucking everything the the sleeker and more compact bodywork would be the stumbling block...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    They use the same frame because of the economies of scale... Lots of parts commonality saves on production costs!
    I think that tucking everything the the sleeker and more compact bodywork would be the stumbling block...
    I did not say you would not have to bulge out the plastic bits here and there.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I dig "power bulges"...
    I would hate to see the relative nimbleness of these two models compromised...
    (think Chevy Vega with a 454 wedged into the engine bay! )

Spyder Garage

Default ST Body Panels

Are the new body panels bigger to accommodate the new engine?

Bob, my wife might be warming to the idea of me getting a Spyder. Either that or she's getting tired of my whining.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whatever it takes; brother!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I did not say you would not have to bulge out the plastic bits here and there.
    Maybe a new engine? An inline twin 990 ACE mill. I was talking to a BRP dealer (not a Spyder dealer). The 900 ACE mill introduced this year for Ski-Doo kinda makes the 1200 4TEC engine redundant. He said that the performance of the 900 is almost as good as the 1200 with lower rpm`s and less fuel used.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe think about buying 2014 RT now; ride RT 1 year, trade it in next Nov on 2015 ST

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    about the 2014 ST now? All the hoopla about the RT is great! BRP may have a winner with it.

My taste is for the ST. My chances of getting a Spyder are looking better. Should I wait ANOTHER year for a ACE triple powered ST? I have no interest at all in a leftover 2013 for obvious reasons. Someone will get a hot deal on those.

Any speculation about what the 2014 ST's will be like? We have the aforementioned new side panels and beefier shocks. Will it be a much improved ride with more comfort and safety. Will the startup bugs be gone?

What are your thoughts? I would like to see the ST lineup pick up. It's being overshadowed by the RT. That's where the focus is. That's where BRP's money is right now.

Just a thought. Buy a 2014 Spyder RT-S with 1330 engine next month when available; ride it for 1 year; trade it in on 2015 Spyder ST which will have the 1330 engine in it!!!
    Your 2014 RT will get top trade in value next fall on a 2015 ST. Win-Win situation!!!!!
    I agree with Flamingobabe: new 1330 engine in ST 2015!! Mainly because of all the heat problems nightmare of 2013 ST.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

You have been lurking about this for a very long time. Wondering when BRP may flip to a new engine for the ST or beyond is big time speculation at this time. You know the issues discussed about the 2013 ST. The 2014's will start hitting the road shortly and we will hear good or bad. If you have the blessings of the missus, I would suggest going with something from 2014 if the reviews are good.

I predicted no engine change and some color and fascia changes for the 2014's. I was wrong on the engine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree - I want an ST-S but would like the bigger engine. I'm thinking about the RT-S. I'll have to drive both assuming the dealer has them in stock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RT versus RS, versus ST??
    They feel like three completely different bikes...()
    The RTs are more like the four-door sedan that you throw the family in, and head for the other coast...
    The RS feels like the sports car that you trot out on the weekends for a nice cruise on a twisty road on sunny days...
    The ST... splits the difference rather well... (Think 4-door sports car!)
    My point being that there's more difference than just the powerplants... The bikes are aimed at differenct parts of the market, and you may dig the big triple, and not the bike that's holding it up off of the ground...

Spyder Garage

I like my 2013 ST-S

Spyder Garage

Default ST compares to a four door Porsche

This is my daily driver. jk

porsche.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Have you started "talking dollars" with a dealer yet?
    2014 versus 2013; you might want to consider the 2013 if you can either get a HUGE discount, or get the dealer to upgrade it with those new body panels...
    Just a thought...

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

RT versus RS, versus ST??
    They feel like three completely different bikes...()
    The RTs are more like the four-door sedan that you throw the family in, and head for the other coast...
    The RS feels like the sports car that you trot out on the weekends for a nice cruise on a twisty road on sunny days...
    The ST... splits the difference rather well... (Think 4-door sports car!)
    My point being that there's more difference than just the powerplants... The bikes are aimed at differenct parts of the market, and you may dig the big triple, and not the bike that's holding it up off of the ground...
    Bob...I have to disagree....RT = Lincoln 4 suicide door yacht..needs a bigger engine......RS = Maida..quick, cute and lots of fun....ST = Porsche Boxer with torque ............PS....sure glad I don't have a missus to answer to
    Last edited by flamingobabe; 09-20-2013 at 08:52 AM.

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

I think there's a good chance the ST gets the 1330 at some point-- if not for 2015, then 2016. But I agree, even if the frame can accommodate it, the tupperware as currently designed may not... we'll see.

However, I will be surprised if the RS gets the 1330, at least not as it's currently tuned. While there's certainly a strong commercial argument to increase the commonality across the lines, I don't know if putting a larger engine with a different transmission into the RS would jack up the RS price too far to be competitive. Meaning, the base cost of the RT, and possibly the ST, could be high enough to "eat" the increased cost of the 1330 and 6-speed, but the RS price point may not have that margin, unless they only offer the 1330 as a higher-priced option (on, say, a 2015 RS-S?).

But my main theory about the future RS is that it will get a different engine altogether, one that's either 1) cheaper, to lower the RS price in order to sell more, or 2) faster/more sport-bike like, to increasingly differentiate the Spyder line-up.

The 1330 sounds like a great engine (on paper), but it most definitely does NOT sound like a sporty engine many buyers will want in the RS.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST vs 2014

Question: Have you started "talking dollars" with a dealer yet?
    2014 versus 2013; you might want to consider the 2013 if you can either get a HUGE discount, or get the dealer to upgrade it with those new body panels...
    Just a thought...
    Bob, dealers in my area don't have any 2013 ST's left of which I'm aware. RE: A.S.K. and Honda Suzuki of Jackson
    I know there are deals to be had out of state, but I want to stay local if I can. Honda Suzuki of Jackson is forty miles from me. Their sales manager sold me my Honda Shadow 1100 when he was at another dealership. It will be Spring before I can start dealing seriously. Also Honda Suzuki of Jackson has a good reputation for Can Am service and has been recommended by several Ohio Spyder Riders.

Honda Suzuki of Jackson had half a dozen RT's for sale with $3000 discount and a RS-S with a $1000 discount. They are trying to move their 2013 inventory.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So 2014 will get the same steering bolts? links?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I agree the frame was changed to fit the 1330cc engine...so ST could easily have larger engine....I'm anxious to see if the "new enhanced air flow body panels help in pushing the air out of the Tupperware.... I'm waiting on response from BRP to see if they will allow me to test them....sent email Tuesday.....no answer yet...BRP you listening...reading...
    I got my reply. In fewer words, they said no. Hope you have more clout with them.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!