Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can we talk...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    The RS and ST might get a new motor next year but I do not believe it will be the triple. Not enough room in the current configuration for a wider motor on these two lines.

But I must say I love both of our rydes and the ST is just plain fun to hop on and take a 'Quick' day trip or weekender with the wife.

I consider our 2012 RT Limited the Winnebago and our ST-S the Porsche.

Carl
    Come on, couldn't you at least have referred to the RT as a Prevost instead of a Winnebago.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Come on, couldn't you at least have referred to the RT as a Prevost instead of a Winnebago.

Okay, I'm convinced. I'm definitely going to change my reference. That thing is awesome just like our RT Limited.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Question: Have you started "talking dollars" with a dealer yet?
    2014 versus 2013; you might want to consider the 2013 if you can either get a HUGE discount, or get the dealer to upgrade it with those new body panels...
    Just a thought...
    I think you just came up with a brilliant idea. Anyone purchasing a new 2013 on close out sale should get the dealer to "throw in" the new body panels.

No--I have not forgot what I have said about the current owners and their dielema to get body panels also.

In short, all need em. Its where and how that is yet to be solved.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The bikes are aimed at differenct parts of the market, and you may dig the big triple, and not the bike that's holding it up off of the ground...
    That pretty much says it all.

The ST feels like the RS after adding all the touring farkles to it like so many GS/RS owners have done/did.

If 2015 will bring a new motor to the ST it might be worth the upgrade. Here's the thing:

BRP came out with several new ACE engines this year (2014) almost all were aimed at broader torque bands and higher efficiency/lower emissions.

The 900ACE peaks at 75 ft-lbs and will have more torque over the power band than the 991 motor in the 2013 models. Realistically it will probably be very similar in overall performance with a notable boost in low end performance and mileage. This seems like something BRP would do.

The 1330ACE peaks at 96 ft-lbs and 115HP and brings the RT's 1012 lbs ahead of the ST as far as straight line acceleration. It pulls harder at all rpm and 0-60 and 60-80 will be noticeably quicker than the 2013 ST. The RS is still faster but the margin has narrowed.

But if you put the 1330ACE it should "keep up with the Jones's"

All in all it's splitting hairs. These new motors don't add straight line performance, but they greatly enhance the riding experience and improve mileage. Nothing wrong with that.

Spyder power to weight.JPG

BRP spent at least 2 years with test pilots (like Lamont) giving feedback. If there's an ST with a new motor, regardless of which one, they would already have it running around working some kinks out and someone here has tried it.

And they won't tell us unless we bribe them! Comeon, give it up! My wife makes some really good lemon squares. Just a yes or no answer. mmmmmmmmmm yummy.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Does it come with a disco ball?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    Does it come with a disco ball?
    Probably the whole lighted dance floor as well. LoL

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Probably the whole lighted dance floor as well. LoL
    Well hey, I'm sold.

When are they adding these to the Spyder? Probably put them on the RT first too

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is crazy....we have a disco ball on our patio....looking for pic

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Maybe...

Maybe...

Maybe BRP will follow Honda and make a F6b out of the 2014 RT without the top case.

Hm. I'd consider that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have to disagree with some of the assumptions. The 2013 frames were all redesigned and all models, RS, ST and RT shared the exact same frame. Now it is my understanding that the exact same frame is used for all 2014 models except for motor mounts on the RT. So if I am correct there is no reason that the 1330 can't be put in a ST.
    I have to agree that the triple should be no problem in a RS/ST there is plenty of width once the two raditiors are moved up front and im sure a cam and fuel mapping change could move the motor power band into a much different relm with todays M/C motors 150 to 160 hp would be easy
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    about the 2014 ST now? All the hoopla about the RT is great! BRP may have a winner with it.

My taste is for the ST. My chances of getting a Spyder are looking better. Should I wait ANOTHER year for a ACE triple powered ST? I have no interest at all in a leftover 2013 for obvious reasons. Someone will get a hot deal on those.

Any speculation about what the 2014 ST's will be like? We have the aforementioned new side panels and beefier shocks. Will it be a much improved ride with more comfort and safety. Will the startup bugs be gone?

What are your thoughts? I would like to see the ST lineup pick up. It's being overshadowed by the RT. That's where the focus is. That's where BRP's money is right now.

You STILL haven't bought one?
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

what's up with that?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The RS and ST might get a new motor next year but I do not believe it will be the triple. Not enough room in the current configuration for a wider motor on these two lines.

But I must say I love both of our rydes and the ST is just plain fun to hop on and take a 'Quick' day trip or weekender with the wife.

I consider our 2012 RT Limited the Winnebago and our ST-S the Porsche.

Carl
    I subscribe to your thinking Carl. Life is too short to wait for this and that. If it's good enough to "make your day", then it's worth the move. I Also believe there will never be the "perfect machine"; everything in this world is a compromise.

Spyder Garage

Default Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    You STILL haven't bought one?
    All ribbing aside, I know my SL buddies are tired of my broken record whine about how my wife thinks its too much money for a toy.
    I'm hoping my luck will change next year. I could buy one tomorrow, seriously...

Anyway...

Does anyone know if the 2014 ST will carry over the band aid heat solution or will there be some real fixes such as:
    rerouted header pipes, relocation of the cat converter , factory wrapping of the gas tank. Will the new side panels be enough air flow?

Anything new in this ongoing discussion?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would certainly guess that the new heat shield, coupled with the improved airflow offered up by the new body panels; should make it a non-issue!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Maybe a new engine? An inline twin 990 ACE mill. I was talking to a BRP dealer (not a Spyder dealer). The 900 ACE mill introduced this year for Ski-Doo kinda makes the 1200 4TEC engine redundant. He said that the performance of the 900 is almost as good as the 1200 with lower rpm`s and less fuel used.

Except the 900ACE is an inline tripple, (I have 2 of them on the way). The 1200 is not redundant it make 135HP the 900ACE makes a claimed 90HP. If anything the 1330 will replace the 1200 in the Skidoo, but in the Skidoo my guess is the 1330 will be somewere around 135 to 140hp.

The 1330 will in my opinion fit in the ST & RS with the rads moved to the front like the new RT. They will just have to make front openings for airflow to the rad.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

I would love to see the new motor in the ST as well, BUT don't you think we've jumped the gun a bit to assume this new motor and new transmission is going to hit the road with no problems. I hope it doesn't but I'm skeptical that it may. I agree that any 13ST owners should be given new side panels for their bikes. I wondered if they fit. If so, seems like it would make sense to buy one of the 13 models that I've seen for as much as $4500 off and spend $179 per panel looking at the 14 part list to have basically the same bike.
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    seems like it would make sense to buy one of the 13 models that I've seen for as much as $4500 off and spend $179 per panel looking at the 14 part list to have basically the same bike.
    Basically; except for the engine, transmission, electrical and cooling systems...

Oh... and the new seat too!

Spyder Garage

Basically; except for the engine, transmission, electrical and cooling systems...

I was referring to the ST not the RT. No changes to these in the 14 ST.
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I believe he is talking about the ST not the RT. The St 2013 and 2014 are the same, same engine, same trans, same electrical, cooling and oh yea the seats are the same. The only changes for 14 on the ST will be the scoops and they will have the shield and wraps (same as the 13 recall). He is smart to get a 13 ST instead of the 14 cause the recall is no charge and with the side scoops he will have an exact duplicate of the 14 for much less money and have a Spyder that is excellent. I also believe that the two Spyders that caught fire were the RT. The ST has never caught fire, some (Not All, and Not Mine) have had the MC and Canister which are plastic melt. The ST's are awsome machines. My wife loves this ST as much as I love my Vmax! The ST is more comfortable and much safer than any two wheels, thats all we ride double up.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I would certainly guess that the new heat shield, coupled with the improved airflow offered up by the new body panels; should make it a non-issue!
    I agree BRP has fixed the 2013 problem. I for one am tired of all the bashing on the 2013, BRP feels the ST's are fine and made the 14 exactly the same with exception of heat shield and wrap (which the 13's have now) and side scoops. I have never had any issues with my Black ST (Black being the fastest color) LOL. I have over 5,000 miles and absolutely no problems. Mine was built at the factory with the up dated ball joints and shocks, when I picked it up. So the recall is all I have ever had to get done and it really did not need it, all my parts were perfect. I am not even getting the side scoops unless BRP gives them to us at no charge. I do no need them. We are riding happy on our ST's.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vmaxman View Post
    I agree BRP has fixed the 2013 problem. I for one am tired of all the bashing on the 2013, BRP feels the ST's are fine and made the 14 exactly the same with exception of heat shield and wrap (which the 13's have now) and side scoops. I have never had any issues with my Black ST (Black being the fastest color) LOL. I have over 5,000 miles and absolutely no problems. Mine was built at the factory with the up dated ball joints and shocks, when I picked it up. So the recall is all I have ever had to get done and it really did not need it, all my parts were perfect. I am not even getting the side scoops unless BRP gives them to us at no charge. I do no need them. We are riding happy on our ST's.
    Would you know exactly the production date or month of 2013 STS units that were assembled/released with the updated ball joints and shocks? Is there a recall for those STS that were sold before the changes were made during production?

Thanks in advance for the information.
    Last edited by Benggolf; 10-02-2013 at 03:40 AM.