Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery terminal loose

Looking for input. The negative battery post on our 2012 RT Limited started sparking. Upon looking at it, the post is loose and will not tighten up. Any suggestions? Trying to get ready for Thunder Beach in a few weeks.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Should still be under warranty. Talk to dealer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you. That is the other part of the problem, it is under warranty but can't get it to the dealer which is over 120 miles away. Was hoping there was a quick fix I could do.

Spyder Garage

If you are saying the actual post is loose I'm afraid you are going to need a new battery. If you are having trouble tightening the cable to the post is sounds like the threads may be stripped or maybe the nut fell off completely. Tightening the battery cable connections is a routine maintance item, for some reason they slowly vibrate loose. I check mine every time I change the oil. I'm also wondering, you are talking about the actual battery post and not the infamous "other post" under the seat.

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

there is a rectangular nut that fits in the slot of the battery post at the battery. If it is not lined up the screw will not tighten. As well if it is not there. The negative post under the seat should have a yellow warning label. If any one loosens that one it is near impossible to re-tighten. The nut on the back side is not tacked to the frame and will spin. Holding that nut is the problem.. Hope it's the first and not the latter..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Are you talking about the battery terminal, under the bodywork, or the negative jump start terminal under the seat? The jump start terminal is the main rear frame ground. Many owners have made the error of trying to loosen it to attach an wire for an accessory. Unfortunately, the nut holding the post is not attached to the frame, so if loosened just a bit it turns and will not retighten. The cure is to remove the right side body panels to gain access, then find or make a wrench that will hold the nut, and tighten the post securely. Usually a few well chosen cuss words are of great benefit! The nut is hard to reach and hard to hold. Some owners have had success with pushing against the nut with a screwdriver while tightening the post, or pulling up on the post while tightening, to hold the nut and keep it from turning. A loose rear frame ground can cause a great many warnings and fault codes, and can keep the battery from charging properly. Best to fix it at home if you can, rather than risking the 120 mile ride to the dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The jump start ground terminal was the issue. Thank you all for your comments. The problem I had was trying to get the side panel off, so I went a different route with the same end result.