Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    This is a very large allegation. Are you sure, or are you just mad and spouting off? If you are sure, then BRP has issues with ethics. If you are spouting off, then please, for my sake, stop doing that.
    First of all, Dan, if you re going to edit my quotes, at least have them make sense. Secondly, I searched this thread several times and didn't find that quote. What I did say was, "They either didn't test sufficiently or intentionally put out a questionable product." I'm not making allegations one way or the other, but a problem DOES exist. Something went wrong. Did they know or didn't they? I haven't a clue, but just for YOUR sake, I'll stop spouting off! Feel better?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dslim View Post
    I know alot of us have asked BRP for help, but I doubt we will ever see it. They don't really care and they already have our money. I kinda wish I still had my old bike yet, when it wasn't in the shop atleast my wife would ride it.
    Alas I am going to have to agree with this one.

NO WAY will the bottom line of a company allow for the cost to retrofit 2013's and it not hit the bottom line!
    Stock holders, revenue, growth YOY, etc will get in the way of this ever happening!
    NO WAY! Companies just do not work this way even in Canada!

They will let this slide until 2013 is a mere memory and those buyers disappear!
    It's all about NEW sales and NEW people...
    Spending money on existing products and people that many may not upgrade, is not a good bottom line business plan. Heck think about it! If the user base did upgrade, what the hell would dealers do with all the old ones? BRP wants NEW sales not a dealers focusing on being a used Spyder sales shop! It is just NOT the business proposition here and never has been even with cars!
    It's about revenue NOT COST! They want NEW sales... not dumping cost into sales already on the books!

Sorry to say this folks, but this is capitalism!
    Wish all you want that BRP will make it right, but I think not.
    You can mark my words on this and tell me I am wrong if it happens.
    I bet no one will be telling me that long run. Sad but true...

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    First of all, Dan, if you re going to edit my quotes, at least have them make sense. Secondly, I searched this thread several times and didn't find that quote. What I did say was, "They either didn't test sufficiently or intentionally put out a questionable product." I'm not making allegations one way or the other, but a problem DOES exist. Something went wrong. Did they know or didn't they? I haven't a clue, but just for YOUR sake, I'll stop spouting off! Feel better?
    Thank you.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Any lawyers interested?

From the numerous cases of roasting chestnuts to allegations of false advertising, it sounds like a opportunity for a consumer class action suit for some intrepid attorney to pursue? Yes, that is a difficult course of action, but, if so many posters predictions are correct most of us '13 owners will be joining the case in a year or two.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Down Boy

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    These type of threads have me confused. I have a 2013 RT-S, have ridden for extended periods of time in 90+ degree heat and have NEVER experienced anything that I have been reading about - boiling gas, hot right foot, hot seat, etc. I did have the heat recall work done 2 days ago and they said there was no sign of heat damage at all. So am I the only one with a 2013 that has no issues or is this truly a problem that affects random bikes? It seems that if it was a design flaw, then all bikes would have the same problem. Any hard facts about why this is happening on some bikes but not all and what percentage? Thanks.
    What kind of riding do you do? Do you just go on short rides 50 to 100 miles at a time? That may be the big difference. I put 13,000 miles on mine in 13 weeks riding from 400 to 600 miles or more a day. I don't think that people who ride 50 to 100 miles at a time, even in hot weather, are likely to have the heat issues or fires. Even if it is 100 degrees and you ride for 50 miles then shut the bike off did it get hot enough for long enough to melt something? Probably not. But if you ride in hot weather for hundreds of miles in a day, day after day it will be hot enough for a long enough time to melt things.

In case you don't know me, my Spyder was one that burned.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I was not aware of any problems with 2008's. I put 23,500 trouble free miles on my SM5 before trading up to a RT-S when they came out in 2010. My dealer told me my old 2008 is still going today and has 38,000 plus miles on it.
    The 2008 had a very serious power steering problem. It probably killed a couple of people but we will never know. It tired to kill me several times in the 45,000 miles I rode it. I finally got rid of it because it was just too scary. One month later they had an actual fix for it rather than a band aid. I have since repurchased a 2008 because it is the simplest of the offerings and the warranty had expired-a blessing. 20,000 miles with a few relay problems and doing fine.

I believe that a lot of the 'problems' associated with the 2013's are a matter of what your definition of a problem is. I have heard repeatedly how the 2008's had a heat problem. Bottom line is that if the machine does not stop-it does not have a heat problem. If you are too hot on it, dress better. My 2008 gets awfully warm to ride with just jeans on. With a BRP riding suit I have no issues. My riding temperature has gone over 110 degrees, so it is not like I am only riding on cool days.

Now having said all of that I fully expect my RS/GS to overheat, catch fire and have the steering lock up on my next ride. It is all part of the adventure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyjoe View Post
    Are we to assume the 2014 is perfect? The 3 cylinder, 6 speed, and radiator are all flawlessly designed?
    Were you designed perfectly? I know for a fact that I wasn't...
    There's always a bit of a "roll of the dice" going on...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

All the unhappy 2013 Spyder owners having problems should get t-shirts that says:

My New Spyder is to Hot to Handle

and a picture of the 2013 Spyder burning at Maggie Valley, NC.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I actually kind of LIKE your idea!
    Find humor where you can; it keeps your enemies guessing!

Spyder Garage

Default Recall Fix Didn't Fix Heat Issue

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    Depends on the temperature outside some days the bike feels hotter than others. I am also not sure about the gas fumes once I finish riding. I have 520 miles on the bike I will let you know more because I get the recall done tomorrow.
    After finding a melted MC and Wiring Harness on my 2013 RT-S, 2100 mi, and having the RECALL preformed, I still have severe heat issues at the right foot and crotch an right thigh area.

Bandaids don't work
    Illegitimi non Carborundum

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow with Black Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mdromaine View Post
    After finding a melted MC and Wiring Harness on my 2013 RT-S, 2100 mi, and having the RECALL preformed, I still have severe heat issues at the right foot and crotch an right thigh area.

Bandaids don't work
    The recall is done to "prevent" the Master brake cilinder and the evap canister to melt, not to vent or control the hot air.
    Seriously... did you think that wrapping the MBC and the EC was going to stop the hot air to vent? I'm assuming you did not read what the recall procedure is...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mdromaine View Post
    I still have severe heat issues at the right foot and crotch an right thigh area.
    So what is different about your bike?

There are those vents just behind your lower air deflectors; would you be willing to remove the air deflectors, and perhaps try putting a scoop behind the vents to channel more air down into the bodywork?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rojodawg View Post
    There are not "hundreds of thousands of spyders" sold. A recent article in Ultimate Motorcycle Cycling indicated "Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) has recalled 5,042 of its 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT and ST series motorcycles due to brake-fluid issues."

For those having documented heat issues (such as flamingobabe), hang in there until you get some satisfaction from BRP. Many of us are closely following your posts and want to see you (and others) taken care of by BRP!! No doubt these are legitimate and potentially serious concerns that should be addressed asap. As fellow spyderlovers, we stand with you!
    Thank you for correcting that and I appreciate the words of encouragement. We appear to be a subset of a those 5000 owners who need action... however the corrective measures BRP comes up need to help all 2013 owners.

But for those few 2013 owners who have not experienced any heat damage but yet insist on obsessing whether your ryde will spontaneously combust at any moment... Many posters have already tried to offer assurances based on their experiences and lack of heat problems, but we see the same few members post the same concerns over and over again about "what might happen"...
    The chance of fire has been greatly reduced with the recall BRP already has in place. It's the other issues (boiling gas, gas fumes and heat fatigue'd components, hoses and electronics) that remain an issue.

You'd be lucky if it caught fire. That's an obvious issue that requires no diagnosis. But having your hoses rot and crack from heat or electronics start acting oddly before failing can be months and months of agonizing trips back and forth to a dealer trying to identify it and resolve it. This is assuming you aren't getting overheating warnings on your dash because you want to take a trip in the summer. These effect all 2013 owners... we just discovered it earlier than others due to the mileage and types of riding we do.

If I felt my 2013 ST was truly unsafe, I would get rid of it, period. Maybe I will at some point, but thus far I am very happy with my ryde.
    In order to help those who *are* having problems can you give us some details on the kind of riding you do and the mileage you put on your ST?

The hypothesis is that superslab riders (Interstate) are not a large percentage of 2013 owners.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Quite a bit of varied responses here. My dealer told me the ones who are having melting issues are ones who drive in a parking lot...seriously so those who are saying it is highway driving are wrong according to him. I can and do have 100 degree days. I live near a tourist destination and the main road turns into a parking lot some days during the summer. I have experienced the boiling gas and excessive heat at the seat and gas cap as well as the P0217. The longest day ride I have done was 300mi. round trip. One poster hit it on the head the recall may reduce fire risks but not eliminate the source and that is my concern. If BRP does nothing I have a 5 yr BEST warranty and will probably never enjoy my ride as it should be. I am relatively sure the lack of proper heat ventilation will degrade other components under the Tupperware. That is what BRP needs to address creating a venting improvement. It is pretty obvious the changes they made to the '13 for the '14 were well intended but backfired. Using tape to cover a boo boo only works with small children.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Quite a bit of varied responses here. My dealer told me the ones who are having melting issues are ones who drive in a parking lot...seriously so those who are saying it is highway driving are wrong according to him. I can and do have 100 degree days. I live near a tourist destination and the main road turns into a parking lot some days during the summer. I have experienced the boiling gas and excessive heat at the seat and gas cap as well as the P0217. The longest day ride I have done was 300mi. round trip. One poster hit it on the head the recall may reduce fire risks but not eliminate the source and that is my concern. If BRP does nothing I have a 5 yr BEST warranty and will probably never enjoy my ride as it should be. I am relatively sure the lack of proper heat ventilation will degrade other components under the Tupperware. That is what BRP needs to address creating a venting improvement. It is pretty obvious the changes they made to the '13 for the '14 were well intended but backfired. Using tape to cover a boo boo only works with small children.
    I think your dealer is wrong. But I do agree that the heat tape is just a Band-Aid. The 14 has many other changes made and until we get them and ride them are don't think it is fair to say that they backfired.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I think your dealer is wrong. But I do agree that the heat tape is just a Band-Aid. The 14 has many other changes made and until we get them and ride them are don't think it is fair to say that they backfired.
    I meant on the '13 Ann I am betting the '14 with the 3 into 1 manifold coming down in front of the engine vs. snaking V-Twin pipes will make the difference on the heat issues. I am just wondering where they are getting the intake air from on the '14 since both sides in front have radiators now. Hot air intakes do not work cold air intakes do.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We'd have to take another look at the videos that have been posted; my guess is that it's from up top somewhere...

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LEMONS????

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I agree totally but....Please explain to me exactly what you ask BRP for? a $3000 rebate on a 2014? what are we to do with our 2013 that no one will ever purchase....someone asked their dealer about trade-in value on 2013 ST and up front you lose $10,000....plus purchase new?????..I would pay $3000 more for a new 2014.....I agree the band aid they are giving us 2013 owners that doesn't really address the real issue which is increased temps inside the Tupperware due to moving components around and the boiling gas and lack of a Cat insulator plate issues and told them it is only a band aid. Being retired from GM I know what heat does to rubber over time. I told them I am not happy with just a band aid to fix a design issue due to a 2014 frame with 2012 engine setup. Included the lower plastic pan changes and told them I worry every time I ride even after the recall ( which will be done Fri). ST - the "enhanced air flow body panels..have not been tested....I have offered...no response..I told them they are doing something for the ST to increase airflow but not the RT. you know....I am losing my mind and everything about me over this 2013 Can-am ST-Limited....
    Boy, I also I waited for the 2013s believing they were going to be superior bikes compared to the older models, and I'm afraid that I am now stuck with a lemon. I turned down super deals on the 2012 machines to wait for the much improved 2013 models believing that you get what you pay for. Don't get me wrong, I love riding my ST-L, but with all of the issues it has, and the failure to get those issues resolved, and the fear of more and bigger issues, and the huge improvements made to the 2014 models, I may have made an expensive purchase that I am going to deeply regret. I'm afraid we are going to lose a LOT of money if we try to upgrade.

Spyder Garage

Default I talked with BRP for a rebate for 2013 to 2014

Did anyone ever checked about the LEMON LAW, that applies to cars.

I'm not sure how it works, but I have heard that at one point, if there are too many issue with your car, the manufacturer need to either refund the amount paid or change the car.

Now is this true or not, I don't know, does this also apply to all states, and or Canada, I will look into this issue, if you have information please post it, it would be interesting.

Dom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you had the recall work completed yet?
    You might want to take a look at the new body panels; they would also help!
    (The questions will be; How much?, and Who pays? )

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poordom View Post

I'm not sure how it works, but I have heard that at one point, if there are too many issue with your car, the manufacturer need to either refund the amount paid or change the car.

Now is this true or not, I don't know, does this also apply to all states, and or Canada, I will look into this issue, if you have information please post it, it would be interesting.

Dom
    Each state and country is different...you would have to check where you live

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poordom View Post

Dom
    This is what I,m saying!!! Numerous states have strict Lemon Laws that apply to the Spyder also- Its usually so many times to correct a problem OR a number of days in the shop without use?
    You have to check your individual State and call them and Talk to Them- Their easier to phone than BRP!!!!

Its BRP,s Problem- Not Yours- You deserve resolution for the $$$ you Paid!!

I just got a New Chevy "Spark" for $12,000 Plus tax and it has a 5 Year Drive Train/ 3 Year Fender to Fender and 6 Months OnStar for free and its a 5 Speed stick shift and a BLAST to drive getting 35 MPG. Many paid TWICE that for their Spyders and can,t use them???
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As a rule; the "Lemon Laws" don't apply to motorcycles...
    Please tell us more about these "Numerous" States that now apply it to the Spyders...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    As a rule; the "Lemon Laws" don't apply to motorcycles...
    Please tell us more about these "Numerous" States that now apply it to the Spyders...
    By what I have read for AZ the Spyder is includes. If it is in the shop for over 30 days or multiple trips for the same problem and they add up to 30 or more days then it would fall under the lemon law.
    2013 Spyder RT SE5