Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I talked with BRP for a rebate for 2013 to 2014

I had a long talk with BRP today about the band aid they are giving us 2013 owners that doesn't really address the real issue which is increased temps inside the Tupperware due to moving components around and the boiling gas and lack of a Cat insulator plate issues and told them it is only a band aid. Being retired from GM I know what heat does to rubber over time. I told them I am not happy with just a band aid to fix a design issue due to a 2014 frame with 2012 engine setup. Included the lower plastic pan changes and told them I worry every time I ride even after the recall ( which will be done Fri). I told them they are doing something for the ST to increase airflow but not the RT. They was a lot more banter about what I think needs done and I requested a $3k Rebate for 2013 owners to upgrade to 2014 models that seem to address all of the issues. They said they would get back to me with a more senior person to discuss it. I will keep you posted on the out come,
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Rebate

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I had a long talk with BRP today about the band aid they are giving us 2013 owners that doesn't really address the real issue which is increased temps inside the Tupperware due to moving components around and the boiling gas and lack of a Cat insulator plate issues and told them it is only a band aid. Being retired from GM I know what heat does to rubber over time. I told them I am not happy with just a band aid to fix a design issue due to a 2014 frame with 2012 engine setup. Included the lower plastic pan changes and told them I worry every time I ride even after the recall ( which will be done Fri). I told them they are doing something for the ST to increase airflow but not the RT. They was a lot more banter about what I think needs done and I requested a $3k Rebate for 2013 owners to upgrade to 2014 models that seem to address all of the issues. They said they would get back to me with a more senior person to discuss it. I will keep you posted on the out come,
    I will await your discussion. If the money was right I might be willing to jump a 2014 RT

Spyder Garage

I will be interested as well. If BRP is willing to give up some funds I guess I can bite the bullet and upgrade.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just too bad they (BRP) don't have return policy? and satisfaction warranty
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

I think if BRP were willing to work with '13 buyers, they would have to crank up the '14 production line! For a reasonable deal, I would certainly entertain the idea of a '14! I had interest in the Spyder since it's intro, but decided to put off the purchase until they had a chance to work out the bugs. I thought they did just that when they upgraded the wheels, brakes, suspension, etc, in '13. They either didn't test sufficiently or intentionally put out a questionable product. Now they seem to be suffering the bad PR that goes along with burning up a new demo machine in the parking lot. Cummon, BRP! You step up and a LOT of us will step up with you! Let's do this together!

Spyder Garage

Default BRP

well i will be interested also because i wrote to them yesterday morning regarding my 13 rt and with my case number saying i would like to upgrade also due to my foot burning and my diabetes and that i worry about burns and it is over 24 hours that i have not heard a word from them. i don't want to take a beating on trading in or selling my bike being i only have just over 800 miles on it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

What will all the dealers do with used 2013's that they may never be able to get rid of?

If BRP would take those back and convert them to "refurbished" 2013's with 2014 upgrades (considering the frame is the same), it might be the best way?

Alas like any company cost and profit will probably keep something like this from ever happening!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    What will all the dealers do with used 2013's that they may never be able to get rid of?

If BRP would take those back and convert them to "refurbished" 2013's with 2014 upgrades (considering the frame is the same), it might be the best way?

Alas like any company cost and profit will probably keep something like this from ever happening!

Bob
    Time will tell Bob hope they do the right thing for us. 90% of my farkles will come off prior to trade as the will fit a '14. I hope they step up. I f more CALL them (emails never get answered) it might help just remember the talking points. Putting a '12 engine ina "14 frame and moving things around to stuff it in is the most likely cause of our problems. Rubber will rot sooner due to higher heat and insulating tape does not solve the heat issue it is just a band aid they hope will keep them for burning up. Also remember the boiling gas tank.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Just too bad they (BRP) don't have return policy? and satisfaction warranty
    They'd never do that... they know about your desire for shaft drive!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's to hoping that they come up with an incentive for 2013 owners that'll help!

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree totally but....Please explain to me exactly what you ask BRP for? a $3000 rebate on a 2014? what are we to do with our 2013 that no one will ever purchase....someone asked their dealer about trade-in value on 2013 ST and up front you lose $10,000....plus purchase new?????..I would pay $3000 more for a new 2014.....I agree the band aid they are giving us 2013 owners that doesn't really address the real issue which is increased temps inside the Tupperware due to moving components around and the boiling gas and lack of a Cat insulator plate issues and told them it is only a band aid. Being retired from GM I know what heat does to rubber over time. I told them I am not happy with just a band aid to fix a design issue due to a 2014 frame with 2012 engine setup. Included the lower plastic pan changes and told them I worry every time I ride even after the recall ( which will be done Fri). ST - the "enhanced air flow body panels..have not been tested....I have offered...no response..I told them they are doing something for the ST to increase airflow but not the RT. you know....I am losing my mind and everything about me over this 2013 Can-am ST-Limited....

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

I will keep an eye on this. I had written an email to BRP as well, stating my willingness to consider upgrading to a 2014 RTS if they had special incentives for 2013 owners caught in this heat/recall mess. I purchased my RTS on August 30, 2013, only to find out when I got home that evening, that BRP issued a recall in Canada that very day, and the US recall 5 days later. Not a happy camper.

2015 F3-S SE6, Pure Magnesium Metallic
    12V Power Outlet
    Battery Tender Pigtail
    Blue Ridge Windshield

Spyder Garage

I am right there with you. That is why I started a thread the other day titled FEEL RIPPED OFF. I purchased my bike August 23 2013. Yesterday my wife and I went out for a ride not quite sure how far we went under 100 miles. My bike has 520 miles on it it goes in for 600 mile service and the recall tomorrow. My wife and I are so nervous riding this bike due to the heat issues that every time we stop were checking the bike to see if it's hot lifting seat checking the master cylinder I shouldn't have to worry like this with a brand-new bike. When I am done riding my bike I have to park in my driveway for at least one hour to get rid of the gas fumes smell. If I pull it right into the garage it reeks for hours.
    I am not upset about the 2014 having a different motor or any of the upgrades. These things happen. I am just upset that they realized the heat issues and corrected it. And on the 2013 they just want to put a Band-Aid on it.

JUST REALLY DISAPPOINTED

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ?

What number did you call, and who did you speak too?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Another thing I bought this bike with SAFETY IN MIND for my wife and I. HOW SAFE IS THAT WHEN IT CAN BURST INTO FLAMES. This purchase was like a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me I don't always go out and spend $20,000+on a pleasure Item.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    you know....I am losing my mind and everything about me over this 2013 Can-am ST-Limited....
    You're not alone.

Everyone who is legitimately having heat issues and/or is concerned for the longevity of their 2013 (all models) due to heat issues should contact BRP and your dealer daily.

It starts with us providing the information they need in the way they need it. Your feelings go to BRP, the facts come from your dealer. Have your dealer call it in with what they've found and recommend, and you follow through by telling BRP how this makes you feel about your vehicle and the company you bought it from.

Yes it's a pain, yes you sound like a broken record, and yes we whine a lot. But that's the only way BRP will realize how we feel about this.

BRP doesn't hate us and they aren't money grubbing monsters but they are in business of making money. They do want their customers happy but they won't throw money around randomly. If there's a unified problem (fear for the longevity of the trike due to heat) and unified acceptable solution (be it replacement parts/panels or rebates on a 2014) then they can act on it.

I'm pretty sure they do business in Canada like they do in America. Because if they do, they will find a way to make everyone satisfied.

yep, I still don't feel better about it.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    Another thing I bought this bike with SAFETY IN MIND for my wife and I. HOW SAFE IS THAT WHEN IT CAN BURST INTO FLAMES. This purchase was like a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me I don't always go out and spend $20,000+on a pleasure Item.
    How many have you seen burst into flame? How many actual reports have you read about them bursting into flames. I believe there have only been TWO and considering the number sold that is an insignificant amount.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    How many have you seen burst into flame? How many actual reports have you read about them bursting into flames. I believe there have only been TWO and considering the number sold that is an insignificant amount.

Carl
    I'm sorry I disagree with you ONE IS TOO MANY. I haven't even started touring on my bike yet what if I am 300 miles from home
    Last edited by RBS66; 09-18-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would upgrade for a $3000 difference. As I said in an earlier post, the 2013 is an inferior product and BRP needs to step up to the plate! The owners of 2013s' will continue to experience problems due to the heat issues under the tupperware. Blisters on your skin and boiling gas is a dead give away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I may be the eternal optimist of this group; but I firmly believe that BRP will get a handle on this situation...

Spyder Garage

The OP presents an interesting scenario. I do not know how the mechanics of such a rebate would work.

: $3000 off on a new 2014 would be an inviting incentive on a RT for sure.

: What is going to happen to the 2013 trade in value though--IMO, that is a really BIG question? The reputation of the 2013's (ST's and RT's)--once again IMO--is damaged, and sooner or later that will impact what happens with resale value in the market.

: Trading in a 2013 for a 2014--once again IMO--is going to be a big "hit" on the owner due to the issues involved. In most cases, you can take up to a 25% "hit" off of what you paid for it originally--and that is without taking the 2013 issues into consideration. My 2010 is currently worth 52% of what I paid for it on a trade in. (Not that I have been looking or anything like that ). I recently paid cash for a new 2014 car--and would not consider dumping it for many years--due to the fact that it is now worth about 75% or ballpark of sticker price.

: I don't think that "repurposing" 2013 trade in's would be a feasible option. Once again, IMO--there would be a very limited market for a vehicle like that.

: Glad I don't have to be the one to make these "earthshaking" types of decisions. There is a large can of worms going on the with the 2013 year.

: If the 2014's come off as advertised and the fixes for the 2013's work, then hopefully we can turn the corner on this one.

I do not want to see BRP fail, nor the product line go away. Most of us are strong advocates for the brand, we now have three distinct flavors of the product, and that is great for a larger market. I personally have been very vocal since coming aboard SL in 2010. I have given praise where it is due, and criticisim where I have deemed it necessary. I know I have stepped on a few toes and don't have the popularity rating that some have--but--hope that helps you folks see where I am coming from.

I love my 's and would like to jump in one more time on the 2014. Time will tell.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-18-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

"Cash for Clunkers" anyone? In this case "Fire trades"

In my case, I am happy with my '13 at 8100 miles. No heat issues, did the recall and no damage. I'll keep Valerie for a few years or until she dies on me...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I would be wary of the 2014 RT line, with the new engine and transmission there is no telling what problems may arise. Don't forget that both 2013 and 2014 are the first years of production lines with major changes from the prior format. If you can hold onto your ride, you might fare better by waiting at least a year to see what issues come up with the 2014s.
    2012 Can Am spyder RT: RED! Widow pegs with kuraykyn mounts, ride on sealant in all tires, stebel nautilus air horn, ELKA shocks, Ultimate saddle & driver backrest, digital clock & oil pressure gauge (replaced OEM gauges), xenon lights all around, Custom dynamics brake light, SEAL pup floor boards, Baja ron sway bar, chain guard, bump skid & block off plate (all from spyderpops), Baker air wings, Custom Dynamics turn signals & fender lights, custom paint job (hot rod flames)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by muonwhiz View Post
    If you can hold onto your ride, you might fare better by waiting at least a year to see what issues come up with the 2014s.
    That for sure is my plan. My 2011 is running great and no issues so far in 2,500 miles.
    I will wait a year maybe 2 before dropping the coin to upgrade.
    Also RT's seem to hold value pretty well in the private sales area.
    Considering what I paid for mine by a motivated seller, I know I could sell mine now for what I paid for it or more.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default I disagree

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post

Carl
    ONE IS TO MANY....and if it is "your" one than that moves it to the top of the NOT ACCEPTABLE scale.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5