Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Someone had posted in another thread about the drop in temps he got by removing the fog lamps that came on his RT and replaced them with grills to increase airflow under the Tupperware. Is the solution to the hot air inside the tupperware as simple as replacing the fog lights with a grill to allow more airflow? Does anyone who is experiencing the excess heat under the Tupperware not have the fog lights? This is not about the hot foot from the radiator, but the heat inside the tupperware. If it is that simple, perhaps BRP would comp 2013 owners with the grills or offer a deeply reduced cost to have a dealership remove the fog lights and install grills . . . just thinking . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT Limited with the recall installed and have not had any heat problems (so far). I have 2300 miles on it and just ordered some highway pegs. I plan on keeping it for a few years or until I do have problems and then I will decide what to do.

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by golfsferr View Post
    If there was a considerable rebate for a turned in 13' I'd trade for a 2014 but only if it's a ST not a RT. Nothing against RT's just prefer the STS. Does the 2014 ST come with the same upgrades as the 14'RT?
    If you mean by "upgrades", the 1330 cc triple engine and six speed tranny, then, the answer is no, that is exclusive to the RT for 2014.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I talked with Brp for a rebate

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I had a long talk with BRP today about the band aid they are giving us 2013 owners that doesn't really address the real issue which is increased temps inside the Tupperware due to moving components around and the boiling gas and lack of a Cat insulator plate issues and told them it is only a band aid. Being retired from GM I know what heat does to rubber over time. I told them I am not happy with just a band aid to fix a design issue due to a 2014 frame with 2012 engine setup. Included the lower plastic pan changes and told them I worry every time I ride even after the recall ( which will be done Fri). I told them they are doing something for the ST to increase airflow but not the RT. They was a lot more banter about what I think needs done and I requested a $3k Rebate for 2013 owners to upgrade to 2014 models that seem to address all of the issues. They said they would get back to me with a more senior person to discuss it. I will keep you posted on the out come,
    I was curious if you ever received an answer to this post from BRP

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Every manufacturer builds vehicles which don't meet the buyer's expectations. Back in the early 70's, Chevrolet sold the Vega with aluminum cylinders and chrome steel piston rings. As can be expected, engine longevity suffered, although virtually all of them made it to the point where the warranty ran out. Chevrolet gave those Vega buyers no special deals concerning their Vegas.

BRP never guaranteed that you wouldn't feel heat on the . There was an implied warranty, however, that any heat that built up under the tupperware would not be a safety issue. Having determined that there was a safety issue, they did what every other manufacturer of motor vehicles has done at one time or another. They initiated a recall and installed a fix at no cost to the consumer.

For the record, the issue is not hot tupperware. The issue is melting master cylinders and vapor canisters. It is unreasonable to expect BRP to do anything more than resolve the issue by ensuring that the fix keeps master cylinders and vapor canisters from melting. Other vehicle manufacturers have not given special rebates to the owners of their vehicles which have been recalled. Neither have they refurbished recalled vehicles to make them newer models.

As adults, we have to realize the world is not a perfect place and companies are in business to make a profit. It is not unusual for a manufacturer's product to fail to live up to the marketing hype. Many of us have that we feel have excessively hot tupperware. While penning a rant about it may make us feel better and possibly alert BRP to an issue, it won't change the hot tupperware. We can either keep helplessly ranting about it or do something about it. In a post in the DIY forum, I posted my solution to the hot right foot problem when using highway pegs. I also noted that my sheepskin provided insulation and kept the seats, chestnuts and thighs comfortable. As I noted there, now I don't have no steenkin' heat problem.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wftb View Post
    i was very relieved when she told me she got a 2012 and not a 13 model .as it is , when people ask me i tell them about the problems i have had and let them decide .but i tell them flat out not to buy a 13 model .
    I too get asked the same question quite frequently. I do not have the heat issues and it seems that most people don't have them either. However, you can't guarantee somebody that their bike won't have them which is why I do caution them as well.

I still question whether the problem could be because the ECM is running the FI too lean on some bikes. Seeing that some people are posting pictures of ghost white plugs and melting parts seems to me that that could be the culprit. My 2013 is running rich which is why I don't have any of the problems (IMO).
    Last edited by stewartj239; 12-21-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    I too get asked the same question quite frequently. I do not have the heat issues and it seems that most people don't have them either. However, you can't guarantee somebody that their bike won't have them which I why I do caution them as well.

I still question whether the problem could be because the ECM is running the FI too lean on some bikes. Seeing that some people are posting pictures of ghost white plugs and melting parts seems to me that that could be the culprit. My 2013 is running rich which is why I don't have any of the problems (IMO).
    Could be There has to be a reason that some of us are having the issue and others are not and I guess that's as good a reason as any???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Could be There has to be a reason that some of us are having the issue and others are not and I guess that's as good a reason as any???
    That's all I can figure. For those people who know they are running lean, you're stuck because you can't change the ECM. However, Dyno Jet just released a Power Commander for the 2013 which can be used to fix the lean condition. It's not cheap, but it is cheaper than burning up the bike. Here's the link:

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...nd%20Ignition)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    I too get asked the same question quite frequently. I do not have the heat issues and it seems that most people don't have them either. However, you can't guarantee somebody that their bike won't have them which I why I do caution them as well.

I think my 2013 is running rich too, if the black smudge on the inside of the exhaust pipe is any indication.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I have one of these 2013s that some folks are crying about, i have had no problems to date (7,200 miles). And minimal heat issues. I just want you to know that not all the 2013s are bad.

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Didn't you have a melted master cylinder????? pull yer head out of the sand.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by charles4690 View Post
    I was curious if you ever received an answer to this post from BRP
    Yes I posted no deal. See your dealer ( Pat BRP response).
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Pull my head out of the sand!!!

I enjoy my 2013, as for the recall, thats part of owning a mechanical device.

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe, didn't mean to sound harsh,
    FB's bike has been in the shop as much as she has had a chance to ride it... and we really like to RIDE! I have been riding for 52 years... and the ONLY times I have EVER had a bike on a trailer was to take a spyder to a shop to get it worked on...
    I really want her to have a 'Road Worthy' bike, that will make a 25,000 mile ride without having to go in for issues. Of course there will be maintenance, but I'm talking about issues that shutdown a road trip....
    I am very disappointed with the '13 spyders, and feel that BRP has fallen WAY behind the scale for a bike they advertise as a "sport/tourer" or a touring bike. If we were making 25 mile beer runs, it might be the right bike.
    I don't think we got what was advertised and what we paid for.
    I'm really glad some of you are having no problems with your 13's... but it does not diminish the issues some riders are having.

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Just for the record, there are a few of us that BRP offered money towards a trade in because of all of the problems on our 2010 RT's.

Dwight

Spyder Garage

Default interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    Just for the record, there are a few of us that BRP offered money towards a trade in because of all of the problems on our 2010 RT's.

Dwight
    that is very interesting because i am dealing with them now on the heat issue and asked for a rebate towards a new bike and they said no, but they are going to try and fix my bike since i sent them my heat readings and i got a call today from them that they told my dealer to look at the cooling system, fan, coolant, stat, and everything else they can do to try and fix it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Someone had posted in another thread about the drop in temps he got by removing the fog lamps that came on his RT and replaced them with grills to increase airflow under the Tupperware. Is the solution to the hot air inside the tupperware as simple as replacing the fog lights with a grill to allow more airflow? Does anyone who is experiencing the excess heat under the Tupperware not have the fog lights? This is not about the hot foot from the radiator, but the heat inside the tupperware. If it is that simple, perhaps BRP would comp 2013 owners with the grills or offer a deeply reduced cost to have a dealership remove the fog lights and install grills . . . just thinking . . .
    That was me and NO it's not the answer! I had some good results till last night and did some miles on the interstate, temps right back up there!

Spyder Garage

Old Cowboy is exactly correct. BUT
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

cuznjohn, My Spyder had been in the shop for warranty work 7 times in the year I owned it. I talked to the head honcho at the owners meeting in Chicago about everything that had happened. I was given shop credit for expense's incurred on the road that I had to pay for. Eventually they offered me money on a trade for a new 11. I didn't do it, to much difference even with the money they offered and by this time I had no confidence in the bike. If the 14's have fixed all of the problems then I might look at buying a 15. I always liked the bike, just couldn't put up with all of the problems and the inability to find a close dealer if I had problems on the road. I put 16K miles on it the year I had it. I will say I never had engine or transmission problems with it, other than the clutch recall which I hadn't had any problems with. Good luck!

Dwight

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I told them I was starting to have concerns with all I was hearing and reading about the '13 s they asked for my VIN number. I sent it to them about three weeks ago and haven't heard back.

Spyder Garage

Default I've hit my limit with BRP!!!!

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this board. I just purchased a 2013 RT Limited on 28 Aug 13 with zero miles. From that point on it has been nothing but trouble. I love the Spyder and enjoy the ride when I get a chance..... It is now December and my spyder only has 375 miles on it. It has been in the shop twice for over 30 days!!! Between the time the dealer has had my bike and the riding that they did checking things out, I think they own the bike.... My issues have been the VSS coming on just about everytime I ride, the check engine light, and my personal favorite... the parking brake trying to engage while riding at 65 to 70 mph. Each time they had the bike they said that everything is fixed but the same issues return within the first day of me getting my bike back. I have tried working with the dealer and BRP. I told them that maybe the problem is with this particular unit. I'm willing to trade this one for another 2013 RT Limited or pay the difference for a 2014. The only thing I will not do is pay someone's sales commission again. I'm attaching the email that I sent to the CEO and President of BRP. They assigned me an executive to assist but the only thing they have to say is "Don't worry everything is covered under your warranty. Just drop your Spyder off to us and we will fix it....AGAIN!!!!". I paid cash for my dream bike and I expected to receive a bike in good working condition not some piece of junk that started giving me issues from day one....

Here is my email to BRP...

Good Afternoon Mr. XXXXXXXX,

My name is XXXXXXXXXX and I am a active duty member of the U.S. Coast Guard stationed in Petaluma, CA. Normally I would not jump this high in pursuit of a resolution of an issue but I am at my wits end in this matter and would like to find a speedy resolution to this problem. I purchased a 2013 RT Limited Spyder on August 28 of this year with zero miles. Since purchasing the Spyder, I have had a number of problems with this particular unit. I have spoken to a gentleman named Alex with BRP (once) but have not been successful in contacting him for a status update or resolution. He offered me a $500 discount for the inconvenience of not being able to ride my Spyder which honestly is like a smack in the face at this particular point. I did file a claim/complaint with BRP and was assigned the following claim number 214137.

We are now in the month of December and I own a motorcycle that I have only ridden for 100 miles due to it being in the repair shop for the second time. The first time the motorcycle was kept for over 30 days then I received it back for 1 week before having to return it again for the same issues which is fast approaching another 30 days. When I purchased the motorcycle from EastBay Motorsports located in Hayward, CA, I was not made aware of any factory recalls on the motorcycle but instead found out about them when the motorcycle went into the shop the first time.

The issues that have been occurring are the Vehicle Stability Light keeps coming on (I actually felt the bike fishtail a little this last time), the Check Engine Light will come on, and there have been issues with the brakes. These issues combined with the 3 factory recalls that I was not aware of when I purchased the Spyder have all placed my life at risk when riding this particular motorcycle. I love the Spyder and it has been a dream of mine every since it first came on the market. It is a pre-retirement gift to myself after spending almost 23 years in the military. I paid cash for the Spyder with the expectations that I was receiving a top notch piece of equipment but that was not the case with this particular unit.

I have tried working with this particular dealership to resolve the issue with no luck. I am willing to accept another 2013 RT Limited Spyder in lieu of the current Spyder that seems riddled with issues. I am even prepared to pay the difference for a 2014 RT Limited Spyder but I refuse to pay sales tax and someone's commission again for a vehicle that did not perform as expected when purchased brand new. The mechanics at this particular dealership have been working with the technicians from your company but have not been able to nail down the problem. They have been great but it is the actual sales people that has given me resistance in finding a resolution without additional costs to me as the consumer outside of what I am willing to pay for a 2014 Spyder.

I have already been deprived the pleasure of enjoying my Spyder due to the issues and time in the shop. I do not want to ride this particular Spyder again due to all of the issues that have come up but would rather accept a different Spyder 2013 or 2014 with the appropriate concessions made depending on the year of the Spyder. I am a veteran of the 1st Persian Gulf War (Marine Corps) and have risen to the top of the enlisted rank structure in the Coast Guard (Master Chief, E-9). I am willing to risk my life in the service of my country but refuse to risk it on a motorcycle that does not perform as expected or advertised when purchased brand new. My life is worth more than that.

Any assistance that you may provide in the resolution of this matter is deeply appreciated. I'm currently a dissatisfied customer but still a advent supporter of your product. I even took a friend with me when I went to purchase my Spyder who ended up buying one of his own. We both love the Spyders and hopefully I will have a issue free model soon that will allow me to ride a Spyder instead of just saying I own a Spyder. Thank you for listening to my rant and rave about this particular situation and I look forward to your response. I have provided my personal email above in addition to my work email. Please feel free to contact me by phone or email. Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Master Chief

Here is the one that I just sent this morning.....

Good Afternoon Gentleman,

The reason why I'm contacting your office again is the fact that the
    issues with my Can Am Spyder have yet to be resolved. I have talked
    to your representative (Carl) but have no real resolution to the
    issue. I recieved my Spyder back last week and still have the same
    issues with it. Now when I'm riding down the highway my parking
    brake trys to engage. I'm sick and tired of all these issues
    associated with this Spyder. Each time I have talked to the dealer
    or your representative the answer has been the same of well let us
    see what we can do to fix it because it is covered under your
    warranty. My question is this... "Does the bike have to kill me for
    anyone to say that maybe we should have replaced the bike due to all
    of the issues with a new bike?" I have reached my limit on this.
    Since my safety has taken such a low priority in comparison to your
    profit level I have no other choice but to seek resolution via the
    legal system and the local media. Carl's recommendation to you will
    be to let the warranty take of things but that does not fix the fact
    that I have a 900 pound paper weight sitting outside my window right
    now. My only compromise now is a replacement bike hopefully without
    any of these issues. I refuse to be told that the bike is fixed
    anymore just to have the same issues return that will eventually
    kill me. If you were in my shoes wouldn't you have a problem with
    the machine that you are riding trying to engage the parking break
    at 65 to 70 mph?

Master Chief

Again I got a call from one of the executives singing the same old song of give us a chance to fix it for you..... I f we still can't get the problem fixed then we will fly a tech in from Canada to fix it.

At this point I just want my money back.... So Lemon Law and local media here I come...

Master Chief

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First off welcome and thank you for your service. Secondly I am sorry to hear about your issues with your 2013 Spyder but you are not alone. One thing I wanted to correct you on is that the 3rd recall did not occur until September so your dealer did not try to cover up anything on that issue. Also, I don't know that they have any obligation to disclose a recall that was repaired prior to you purchasing the unit which should have been the case on the other recalls.

Good luck with your case but I believe that now that you have played the lawsuit card you will have to deal with that route.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Master Chief,

If your state has a Lemon law, that might be an option.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only if that law also applies to motorcycles...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am sorry to hear of the repeated problems with your Spyder. I have been in a similar situation and it is incredibly frustrating. It takes a great deal of patience and working back and forth to resolve these things, especially if your dealer is less than excellent. It takes time, too. I would suggest that you jump through BRP's hoops at this point. Have your guy at BRP contact the dealer and set up the "one more time" repair they requested. They will likely advise the technician or put him in contact with BRP dealer tech support to try to work out a solution. If that fails, then go ahead and let them fly out their ace factory technician. It pays to let them run their course with their preferred solutions.

If that fails, then you still have recourse to contact a lemon law lawyer, serve notice under the California lemon law, and proceed with legal action. Only about half the states have lemon laws that cover motorcycles, so you are fortunate to have that as a backup. Be aware, however, that such an action takes a long time to accomplish, will meet with strong resistance from start to finish, and will cut you off from any normal relationship with your dealer or BRP, and likely from further repair attempts until the case is resolved. That dealer may refuse to service your replacement vehicle, too...it has happened. As such, legal action should be a very last recourse. It can be worse than the original problem sometimes. You should remember that the clock is ticking in regard to legal action. Find out what the conditions are and be sure you meet them if you decide to go this route.

I wish you well in getting your problem resolved. I think your Spyder can be cured, even if it takes a new wiring harness and VCM (Vehicle Control Module). The BRP factory techs have tools that the dealer techs don't have, and can likely pinpoint the difficulty. Grit your teeth and give them a chance.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!