Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Fingers

Spyder Garage

Default Cold Fingers

Greetings Brothers and Sisters,

I am looking into options to keep my fingers warm while riding as the cold is fast approaching and do not plan to stop riding. What set up do you have on your RS-S for heated gloves, heat troller, battery heated gloves?.............looking for options

Thank you
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

Default South

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post

I am looking into options to keep my fingers warm while riding as the cold is fast approaching and do not plan to stop riding. What set up do you have on your RS-S for heated gloves, heat troller, battery heated gloves?.............looking for options

Thank you
    Moving South is an option!
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Spyder Garage

Until it gets too cold, I use warmer gloves and, if necessary, silk glove liners underneath them.

If it gets even colder, I've been known to bust out a pair of snowmobile mitts (only for short commutes; while leather, they're not as protective as true motorcycle gloves).

But once it gets REALLY cold, then I break out the heated gear. I've gone with Gerbing, but there are other manufacturers out there (BajaRon here on the board can get you deals on FirstGear stuff IIRC). Although you can run just the gloves if you want to stuff a wiring harness through your own jacket, I use the Gerbing liner with a pair of T5 gloves-- connecting them to the liner is easy as can be, and the liner itself keeps me toasty. Also, I do use a heat controller, MUCH better than just having them on/off, so it's worth spending the extra money for one.

I installed Powerlet connectors in my dash and ran the wires back to the battery. I used the PKT-056, multifit two socket panel kit to install two sockets in my RS dash.

Keep warm, and safe riding!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fin View Post
    Moving South is an option!
    Florida is home for me, however moving is not an option at this time.

Spyder Garage

Default Heat

This morning I fired up the heattroller for the grips and plugged in the Tourmaster jacket. If things get interesting, I'll plug the gloves into the jacket as well. Bike has plenty of power to run heated gear. I don't own heated pants, as I don't usually get cold below the waist, but wore the leather chaps. I have full riding pants that go over my slacks if I need full coverage/protection.

Ping me if you have questions. I can help you get ready for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post

Thank you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Snowmobilers have been using "Hippo hands" for decades...
    Why not try a set of them?
    hippo-hands-bmw-rear.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Snowmobilers have been using "Hippo hands" for decades...
    Why not try a set of them?
    hippo-hands-bmw-rear.jpg
    Bob,

ugly but very interesting

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I couldn't find a better picture of them; they are commercially available, and will do a GREAT job of keeping your hands warmer!
    I would suggest that you check with the snowmobile dealers in your area to see what might be available.
    Happy Hunting!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Heated grips are probably one of my favorite mods. When it gets real cold I use regular winter ski gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

although it does not get that cold here when going to the good mountain roads it does. We have the heated gloves and liners with the dual controls. Gloves need more heat for the driver and liner less. Passenger gets protection from driver. Found the single control to make you roast just to keep your hands warm. This set up works great, never tried the heated grips but on the RS seems that I would have sweaty palms and frozen knuckles....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default What?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I couldn't find a better picture of them; they are commercially available, and will do a GREAT job of keeping your hands warmer!
    I would suggest that you check with the snowmobile dealers in your area to see what might be available.
    Happy Hunting!
    Wait snowmobile dealers in Florida? Hummmmm Sorry just struck me as funny

Spyder Garage

i have a pair of Revitt gortex gloves and heated grips. When its cold my fingertips get cold. How do ya fix that?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Heated gloves are probably your best option. Gerbings is the name most spoken about here in the Great White North. I have three levels of gloves, hot weather, medium weather, and cold weather.

Dont use heated gloves myself, since I have the heated hand grips. Riding comfortable is the most important thing though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Heated gloves are probably your best option. Gerbings is the name most spoken about here in the Great White North. I have three levels of gloves, hot weather, medium weather, and cold weather.

Dont use heated gloves myself, since I have the heated hand grips. Riding comfortable is the most important thing though.
    I use the heated grips, but my finger tips do not come in contact with them, so they get cold...
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

My winter gloves has a compartment for Hand & Body Warms. The coolest temperature I road in was 28 degree F. http://www.amazon.com/HeatMax-Hand-B...ef=pd_sim_sg_2

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Well Hell View Post
    Wait snowmobile dealers in Florida? Hummmmm Sorry just struck me as funny
    Perhaps a Dennis Kirk catalog then??

It never occured to me that a Floridian could GET cold hands in that climate...

Spyder Garage

Cold weather in VA??!! Baahhh!!!!! Snowmobile gloves.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    My winter gloves has a compartment for Hand & Body Warms. The coolest temperature I road in was 28 degree F. http://www.amazon.com/HeatMax-Hand-B...ef=pd_sim_sg_2

Mike
    To help keep your fingers and toes warmer. I also use a product called Silicone Glove, it's a hand cream/moisturizer and silicone that keeps the moisture in the skin. It came to me when I was getting my cold gear together for a ride in Pa. mountains at the end of the month.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Rain-Off Overgloves

For short distances I have winter weight gloves but for longer journeys (or when its raining) I use Rain-Off over gloves and I've found despite being just a thin material they do really help keep your hands warm. I've used these with my summer gloves and found them more effective than just using the winter gloves. They are more of a faff to put on which is why I don't use them for short journeys.
    http://www.rain-off.com/
    New Zealand company but sell everywhere.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I ride year round to work (1/2 hour) if there is no snow or salt on the roads down into the 20's.full face helmet with balaclavia, sweater under leather jacket,first gear pants over jeans and gerbing battery operated heated gloves.This works great for me and I can use the gloves for hunting if I need to.I used to use the muffs over the handlebars but the heated gloves are much better for warmth and looks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Heated gloves are the best solution. But wiring yourself to the bike can be a pain.

battery operated gloves are even more expensive and not warm enough for some folks.

heated grips are harder to install, but easy to use. But they only heat the inside of your fist. Gloves designed for heated grips have less insulation on the grip side so you get more warmth from the grip.

my bike came with heated grips. I use those and a slightly insulated glove when it gets chilly. When it gets cold I put on the hippo hands and go back to summer gloves.

Spyder Garage

I do not have the semi auto, but would mittens or "shooters gloves" work ? I do not think they would work on a standard shift.
    Just a Idea
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

try installing CYCRA STEALTH DX ALLOY RACER PACK HANDGUARDS they will keep the cold wind away.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Electric heated gloves

get them at Cycle Gear or most any bike shop

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Gloves in Florida

You can bet your bippie Sherlock it gets cold in Florida I just turn on my Spyder handlebar grip heaters and thirty seconds later they are getting warm. What type gloves do I wear? Natural unlined deer skin. Or Can Am heavy fabric gloves.....