Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Very Nice scotty. Its really coming along nicely. Whats your expected move in date?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

I just finished watching all of the videos in one sitting. I found myself trying to pick you and Nancy out in each. Sometime it was easy and sometime not so easy. Kind of reminded me of 'Where's Waldo'! On the video where they raised the garage wall and then brought it back down, I did notice someone who looked a lot like you standing in front of it, he was inspecting it, and then it came down. Was that you & if so, would the problem have been found if you had not been there? I did a screen shot of that first wall to compare with the modified wall, but couldn't see any difference. What caught your attention that had to be changed?

Really enjoying this Scotty!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Very Nice scotty. Its really coming along nicely. Whats your expected move in date?
    Unknown as yet. I'm guessing about March.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I just finished watching all of the videos in one sitting. I found myself trying to pick you and Nancy out in each. Sometime it was easy and sometime not so easy. Kind of reminded me of 'Where's Waldo'! On the video where they raised the garage wall and then brought it back down, I did notice someone who looked a lot like you standing in front of it, he was inspecting it, and then it came down. Was that you & if so, would the problem have been found if you had not been there? I did a screen shot of that first wall to compare with the modified wall, but couldn't see any difference. What caught your attention that had to be changed?

Really enjoying this Scotty!
    Yes, that was Scotty. I was holding the wall down to keep it from slipping off the back side of the wall as they raised it. Nancy also helped the second time around. The up and down situation was due to a booboo. The wall was 1 1/2" too tall when first raised. Error in measurements, so it had to come down and be cut off and rebuilt.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

just went through all the videos, this is really cool documentation!

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Looking Like a Real House Now

Today they got the main roof sheathed. It is really starting to look like a real house. We also dug the holes for the deck posts, moved some materials, and built the basement stairway. Got the electrical inspection, so we are ready for the power company to bring in some power. Met with the plumber, sheathed the walkout wall, and I moved dirt and dealt with some other loose ends. It is coming along!

-Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Progress Despite the Rain

Made a little headway today. They delivered the correct trusses and the deck and roofing materials late yesterday afternoon, so we were ready. It rained last night, but stopped by morning. It was muddy, but workable. The hi-ranger (telescopic lift) had a heck of a time climbing out from behind the house on the slippery clay slope. They managed, after several tries, and got to work lifting the attic trusses onto the garage. They finished that by lunch, but it had begun to drizzle by then. The lake-enhanced rain got a bit stronger, and more persistent, so Nancy and I haeded back a little early for my doctor's appointment. I doubt much more work was done. The roof was slippery, it was too wet to run power tools, and they were starting to cover materials as we left. Tomorrow is another day.

-Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    The sun will come out tomorrow!
    Not when it is cold in West Michigan. We have set records for lack of sunshine when a cold wind blows across the warmer Lake Michigan.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

A brilliant electrical engineer friend of mine and his wife designed and had their house built about 20 years ago. He told me that the only major disagreement he and his wife had was that he wanted every room wrapped with a Mylar insulation product, which added a lot to the cost to build. She eventually relented & it was done. (All except the kitchen and bathrooms). He convinced her that, in the long run, it would pay for itself in utilities savings, as he knew how to figure those kind of things. It did. Between the extra insulation and high efficiency heating & air units, the monthly utility bills for the new place was lower than for the old place. Oh, and the square footage was 8x's greater!

Will you be insulating the garage?
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These guys weren't friends of yours; were they??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    A brilliant electrical engineer friend of mine and his wife designed and had their house built about 20 years ago. He told me that the only major disagreement he and his wife had was that he wanted every room wrapped with a Mylar insulation product, which added a lot to the cost to build. She eventually relented & it was done. (All except the kitchen and bathrooms). He convinced her that, in the long run, it would pay for itself in utilities savings, as he knew how to figure those kind of things. It did. Between the extra insulation and high efficiency heating & air units, the monthly utility bills for the new place was lower than for the old place. Oh, and the square footage was 8x's greater!

Will you be insulating the garage?
    We're getting a bit carried away with the insulation, HVAC, etc. We were not able to include passive solar as part of the design, because the orientation to the woods was more important to us, but we did insulate well. We will have R-30 walls and R49 ceilings, with the shell completely caulked and foamed to limit air leaks (yes, there will be an ERV). Geothermal heating and cooling. The house exceeds the 2012 energy code, and could easily qualify for green cerification if we chose to do so. We weren't in disagreement on our house, however, we both had the same goals.

The garage will be insulated, but to a lesser degree. The barn, which has shrunken considerably due to circumstances, will also be insulated. Not sure of the heat for that one yet, but I'm considering a mini-split heat pump system.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default house

when i had my house built in upstate new york we did not have electric on the road, so we built a house with 2x4 construction and the power company wanted a 2x6 constructed wall to bring us electric, so the house was built using generators and i installed a wood stove and at that point the electric company ( new york state elect and gas ) agreed to bring us electric. they said the main reason was we were using electric heat in the house and w/o 2x6 walls it was not efficient, we also did heavy insulation in the walls and 12 inch in the floor and Attic and also had a vapor barrier put on the inside walls under the sheet rock. the house was so warm we needed to open windows in the winter
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

The carpenters kept working in the rain after we left Wednesday, then Thursday, despite rain all day, the roofing/decking crews took over. They set the deck posts and finished the felt and ice & water shield on the main roof. This morning the place was a mess. The ground is clay, and was not only slick from 36+ hours of rain, it was heavily rutted from the Pettibobe telescopic lift. Those are very heavy, to counteract the load out on that long arm, so they make deep ruts in the wet soil. I dug ditches in the morning to drain some water away from the ruts. Today they framed up the garage valley and covered one side of the garage roof, then switched over to the deck. We need the deck to build the screened porch, so we can build the porch roof before we lay the shingles. They had two crews going all day, and got the beams up and about half the deck joists installed. The entire footprint is there now, and it is very gratifying.

Our son came out today. We spent several hours hiking the woods, ravine, and stream. We laid out some trails and began improving them. We need some steps and switchbacks down the ravine and eventually back up the other side. It was great to work with my son all day, but I am tired from the hiking and climbing. Hopefully the weather, which has suddenly taken a turn for the worse, will cooperate sufficiently for us to get the roof on next week.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is really looking good. I hope the weather holds out for your roofers.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    It is really looking good. I hope the weather holds out for your roofers.
    Me too, they're talking snowflakes by the end of next week. Having fun, wish you were here.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Scotty, I feel Guilty. Here we are touring the mountains on our spyders while you guys are working your buns off.

this is an outstanding thread. I wish we had done something similar when we did our construction project back in 2010.

will the barn be done in time to protect your vehicles?
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Scotty, I feel Guilty. Here we are touring the mountains on our spyders while you guys are working your buns off.

this is an outstanding thread. I wish we had done something similar when we did our construction project back in 2010.

will the barn be done in time to protect your vehicles?
    I'd probably be better off riding in the mountains. This is a pretty dumb thing to do at my age.

I have had to scale back the barn for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is money. It was also delayed because I ripped the UCL off my thumb and had the surgery to repair it. I will have a smaller barn/garage, plus I have the attached 24x36 with an attic, so if I can get the barn done by Spring I will have room. The existing house isn't for sale yet, so there is no worry anyway, but I would like a place for my tools that is nearby.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I too am marveling at how fast the house is coming together for you and applaud you on your efforts

And now a little parade rain....
    The last 10% takes 60% of the time for any project.

It looks like it will be a great place to live.
    It is true that the speed with which the shell is constructed gives a false sense of the progress. The remainder of the project will take 2-3 times as long. This visible part is so promising, it is easy to become discuraged later. I am a construction veteran (although never for my entire house), so I know what to expect. Hopefully I can stand it when things slow down, as they inevitably must.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It is true that the speed with which the shell is constructed gives a false sense of the progress. The remainder of the project will take 2-3 times as long.
    That is so true. Framing up a house is the fast part. Then comes the plumbing, heat ducts, electrical & drywall. And if that's not enough to slow you down, there is always the final stuff. Floor coverings, drapes, appliances, kitchen cabinets, etc.

As with any project, there will be ups and downs. But in the end you will have a beautiful home in a very nice location to live in for the rest of your lives.

Connie had to attend a baby shower in Otsego today, so I dropped her off and I went over to check out your new place. Very nice location Scotty. I like how the house is kind of tucked in there surrounded by trees. I was going to get a closer look at things, but nobody was there, and there was a lot of MUD!!!
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It'll be done when it's done; not one second sooner...
    So don't sweat the small stuff!
    It's important to enjoy the satisfaction that you can take in your role in this project...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default when mine was built

when i had my house built in upstate ny i was still working at the time so we could only get up there on weekends to see how things were going. i understand what you mean about how long it feel it going to take but it does move fast. i would get a call saying what they were doing and when i would get up there that and other things would be done. we had them sheet rock and tape the whole inside of the house and than paint all the ceilings, 4 bedrooms a bath a great room and a living room. than i would take 3 day weekends and go up and i paneled the whole house. it went pretty fast.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Ours will take a little longer....real plaster rather than drywall. A few other luxuries, too. For now I'll be glad when we get the roof on it. 10-4 on the mud. That clay gets slippery when wet. The high-lift ruts didn't help, either. Sorry I missed you, I didn't stay long today. I just had to shore up a wall until they can put it back together. They had to relocate a door.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Log Cabin

You're moving pretty darn fast ! When you get to the log portion, please let me know what brand or type of sealant/stain / or calking/ chinking you decide to use. I have a log cabin myself and I'm due for a new batch of each. I'm deciding what to use and keeping my eyes on what is turning out nice. I'm sure it seems petty after the major construction, but its actually expensive and time consuming. Its also a job that is never done. Thanks !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C3517C View Post
    You're moving pretty darn fast ! When you get to the log portion, please let me know what brand or type of sealant/stain / or calking/ chinking you decide to use. I have a log cabin myself and I'm due for a new batch of each. I'm deciding what to use and keeping my eyes on what is turning out nice. I'm sure it seems petty after the major construction, but its actually expensive and time consuming. Its also a job that is never done. Thanks !
    We are using Outlast Q8 stain/preservative. There is no chinking with this half-log system, but we are using Sikaflex 219LM caulk, as recommended by the stain manufacturer. We were going to use Log Builder caulk, but it is not compatible with the oil stains, like Outlast Q8 or Woodgard. What you use will depend a lot on what was used before, and wheter you remove it to apply the new stain. Each stain has its own criteria as far as recoating. These oil stains are nice...one coat application and no stripping before recoating over the same product. Not sure if they will apply over a water based product.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Today it was raining pretty hard when we awoke at 5:30. The radar showed rain at the house site, too (it is an hour away). We drove through some pretty hard rain, but it was gone by the time we got to the property. The carpenters spent all day gloating a little. They did not show up Friday, thinking rain but finding out that it was dry instead. The deck/roofing crews did show, and rubbed it in. Today the tables were turned. While the carpenters worked in dry air, the roofers got nearly drowned on another job. I spent my first hour on site digging drainage ditches to try to drain the water from the high-lift ruts.

There was one main focus today, getting the rest of the garage valley built and finishing that roof. They accomplished what they wanted to, and got the roofing felt fastened down againt the wind with button nails, so we should be relatively dry until the shingles can go on. There is still one roof to finish. The end of the deck is to be screened in and covered, off our master bedroom. The deck beams are up but the joists are not done and the decking remains to be finished before the porch framing can go up and the roof can be built. No trusses here...it will be open rafters and an open, screened gable. Our master carpenter spent much of the day cutting rafters and beams, while his crew did roofing and buttoned down the house wrap.

Here is today's progress video. I haven't worn those guys out yet...they still move mighty fast! You get to see a side of the house you haven't seen yet. This is the back side of the garage, facing North. Note the Spyder-sized roll-up door in the back of the garage. More likely to get used for a tractor, but Spyder Door sounds pretty cool.

Last edited by NancysToy; 10-21-2013 at 10:44 PM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!