Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default The Log House Project

As many of you know, we are building a half-log house. It took a long time to get started, after a number of misfires and delays. We are finaaly making regular progress. I will try to post videos here as we move along.

From the Road
    The House Site
    Preliminary Grading
    Day Zero
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Day One
    Day Two
    Finishing the Dig
    Day Three
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default wow

seeing this reminds me of when i built my house in upstate NY over 30 years ago. boy i miss that place. good luck with the place and in the last vid i was laughing because way back than i was paying 500 a day for a excavator and a operator so i was wishing they moved that fast
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Man you work fast.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Great news..!!

good luck with the project. Ground is broken can only go up from here...always wanted to build one but am so deep into this house all your equipment couldn't dig me out..will enjoy it through your videos..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

WOW...what fun in watching the process.....looking forward to more updates

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's good to see how far you've come along with this!
    (Hint: make your garages and storage buildings bigger...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Looking good Scotty.

Connie and I were over that way about a month or so ago looking for your property. We couldn't find it as there was nothing going on there yet.

Now maybe I'll be able to find it.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

five years ago carol and i did the same thing in upstate ny. we love the place and all the time we put into it. somehow, when you do it from the ground up like that, it becomes more a piece of you and therefor you take extreme pride in building it! good luck, and may your days be pleasant and your problems be few!!

Spyder Garage

Default good update

i was wondering how it was going. interesting to watch. keep posting.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting the videos. Please continue to keep us informed of the progress.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Today we set the basement walls. Note that I said "set", not poured. We are using a precast concrete wall system by Superior Walls. These things are slick! High strength concrete with integral insulation and studs. They are set in place on footings of compacted crushed stone...not poured footings. Very high tech, located within 5 mm using infrared/laser locating equipment that has the floor plan downloaded to it. I knew it would be a good day when there was a rainbow over the driveway as I drove up. Unfortunately, I think we supplied the gold.

Here are today's progress videos.

On another note, my cast was removed today! They put on a very restrictive brace, however. I can remove this one to bathe, exercise the hand, and sleep, though. That will be nice! The hand was pretty cruddy after not seeing daylight for so long. I can't bend my thumb or wrist yet due to the six weeks immobilized, plus the surgery, but PT should cure that. Some nerve damage, but the thumb tip still works. I hope to be able to ride in a couple of weeks, as soon as I can ditch the brace, close my hand again, and bend my wrist. I hear that wrist thing is important on a motorcycle.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 09-18-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds like GREAT news on both the home and healing fronts!

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bet cha' you're having a good time watching the process...installation of the walls is pretty cool....glad to hear you are mending well...take it easy and keep the updates coming

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Those pre-cast walls are neat.

I'm betting you are wishing for post-cast days, though.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default Progress Report

This was a busy week! Monday they framed the walkout wall. It is fun to watch the Amish carpenters. They have to have someone drive them to the job site, then when they arrive they pull out the air compressor, generator, and cordless drills and saws. The head carpenter carries a smart phone, and is far more tech savvy than my builder. Frankly, I wish they were close by, and arrived by buggy. I could use a good draft horse to pull some logs out of my woods.

Tuesday they finished up some framing and waited all day for inspections. Nancy and I took the day off to get our flu shots, shop for groceries, Nancy had a doctor's appointment, and I had to go to OT. We were supposed to pour concrete Wednesday, but the late inspections caused us to cancel. We did some site cleanup, installed some drain pipes on the outer perimeter, and then Nancy and I went looking at floor coverings.

Thursday the flatwork crew showed up and started work. We had a couple of problems. The inner drain/radon vent was too high in places, and the lumber company had not delivered enough foam for the entire floor. By the time we worked out solutions, the flatwork contractor was uneasy with pouring that late in the day, so they left and Nancy and I took some time for ourselves, shopping in Saugatuck and eating lunch by the river.

Friday we poured the basement floor. Good crew! They really know their business. We actually benefitted from the delay, as the concrete will have a couple of days to cure before the carpenters build their supporting wall on it Monday. It would have been the following day otherwise. This morning's rain will help the cure, too. No water out there yet, to spray the slab down and keep it wet.

Saturday I hauled a couple of loads of pea stone and covered the perimeter drain in preparation for backfilling. With this wounded hand I couldn't shovel, so I had to buy 50 pound bags of stone and toss them in the hole before spreading them. Much more expensive that way, but it worked well and I didn't hurt myself. If I tear this ligament off my thumb again I will be in big trouble. They would probably have to fuse the joint, because further repairs may not be possible. Nancy drove to Grand Rapids and got her parents, who are in their eighties and can no longer drive, and brought them out to see the property and construction for the first time.

Getting up at 5:30 every morning and hitting the road for an hour to get to the site shortly after the sun rises is too much like work. We are supposed to be retired! Building a house is a silly thing to be doing at this age. I will probably be in a better mood about the commute if I can ride my Spyder there once in a while. I have to wear the brace until Wednesday, but then I may be able to ride again. The flexibility in my thumb and wrist is returning nicely. I still need a great deal of strengthening, but I am ahead of where I expected to be.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that good progress is being made!
    Just be careful of that thumb, or there'll be no hitchiking inj your future!

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Glad to hear that good progress is being made!
    Just be careful of that thumb, or there'll be no hitchiking inj your future!
    It's fun watching your house progress. Best of luck with therapy! I'm sure you'll be back at it soon!

Spyder Garage

Looking good and keeping you in our for a speedy recovery.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

Default thanks for the update

watch out for the Amish mafia. things are moving right along, good for you scotty.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Default drug test

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    This was a busy week! Monday they framed the walkout wall. It is fun to watch the Amish carpenters. They have to have someone drive them to the job site, then when they arrive they pull out the air compressor, generator, and cordless drills and saws. The head carpenter carries a smart phone, and is far more tech savvy than my builder. Frankly, I wish they were close by, and arrived by buggy. I could use a good draft horse to pull some logs out of my woods.

Tuesday they finished up some framing and waited all day for inspections. Nancy and I took the day off to get our flu shots, shop for groceries, Nancy had a doctor's appointment, and I had to go to OT. We were supposed to pour concrete Wednesday, but the late inspections caused us to cancel. We did some site cleanup, installed some drain pipes on the outer perimeter, and then Nancy and I went looking at floor coverings.

Thursday the flatwork crew showed up and started work. We had a couple of problems. The inner drain/radon vent was too high in places, and the lumber company had not delivered enough foam for the entire floor. By the time we worked out solutions, the flatwork contractor was uneasy with pouring that late in the day, so they left and Nancy and I took some time for ourselves, shopping in Saugatuck and eating lunch by the river.

Friday we poured the basement floor. Good crew! They really know their business. We actually benefitted from the delay, as the concrete will have a couple of days to cure before the carpenters build their supporting wall on it Monday. It would have been the following day otherwise. This morning's rain will help the cure, too. No water out there yet, to spray the slab down and keep it wet.

Saturday I hauled a couple of loads of pea stone and covered the perimeter drain in preparation for backfilling. With this wounded hand I couldn't shovel, so I had to buy 50 pound bags of stone and toss them in the hole before spreading them. Much more expensive that way, but it worked well and I didn't hurt myself. If I tear this ligament off my thumb again I will be in big trouble. They would probably have to fuse the joint, because further repairs may not be possible. Nancy drove to Grand Rapids and got her parents, who are in their eighties and can no longer drive, and brought them out to see the property and construction for the first time.

Getting up at 5:30 every morning and hitting the road for an hour to get to the site shortly after the sun rises is too much like work. We are supposed to be retired! Building a house is a silly thing to be doing at this age. I will probably be in a better mood about the commute if I can ride my Spyder there once in a while. I have to wear the brace until Wednesday, but then I may be able to ride again. The flexibility in my thumb and wrist is returning nicely. I still need a great deal of strengthening, but I am ahead of where I expected to be.
    i really think you should drug test this crew working on the house, they are running around like they are on speed. ANOTHER DISCLAIMER i just heard what it does to you not from personal experience
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Moving Along...and Other Tales From Michigan

Back on the job today. They framed the supporting wall and stairwell in the basement. I had to leave early for PT, but they were moving floor joists when I left and I expect they installed some of them before they quit for the day. Tomorrow we will have the subfloor in place. We are moving right along. I expect we will beat winter in getting the logs up...but not by much.

I cheated again today and went without the brace on my hand, as I also did yesterday. It was rubbing me raw, and using moleskin made it too tight. I was supposed to wear it until Wednesday, so this is only a tiny bit early. To celebrate, I took the Spyder out of the barn, wiped off the cobwebs from sitting 2 1/2 months, and took my first ride since July. I only rode a few miles to therapy, but it sure was nice! I wouldn't have wanted to ride too far. My scar and the nerve damage hurt a bit, especially after my workout at PT. The scars hit right on the hand grip, and that part of my hand is super sensitive (where it isn't numb). I'll see if I'm up to riding a bit farther tomorrow. It's nice to be back in the saddle! It's nice to be able to put on a glove again.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Great progress in a short span of time .....................when's the "house warming" party!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Today we set the basement walls. Note that I said "set", not poured. We are using a precast concrete wall system by Superior Walls. These things are slick! High strength concrete with integral insulation and studs. They are set in place on footings of compacted crushed stone...not poured footings. Very high tech, located within 5 mm using infrared/laser locating equipment that has the floor plan downloaded to it. I knew it would be a good day when there was a rainbow over the driveway as I drove up. Unfortunately, I think we supplied the gold.

Here are today's progress videos.

On another note, my cast was removed today! They put on a very restrictive brace, however. I can remove this one to bathe, exercise the hand, and sleep, though. That will be nice! The hand was pretty cruddy after not seeing daylight for so long. I can't bend my thumb or wrist yet due to the six weeks immobilized, plus the surgery, but PT should cure that. Some nerve damage, but the thumb tip still works. I hope to be able to ride in a couple of weeks, as soon as I can ditch the brace, close my hand again, and bend my wrist. I hear that wrist thing is important on a motorcycle.
    Scotty

That is excellent news I know you have got to be elated ....... House is taking shape

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you so much

Scotty and Nancy I love being able to follow your progress....it brings back all the fond (and a few hair pulling) times when I built my home 7 years ago. I love the process and so nice to "build" along with you guys. Glad the hand/thumb is healing and you got a little ryde time...
    Take care and keep posting...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5