Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Modifying Exhaust

I'm a new member looking to purchase a st limited. Rode Harleys for years until industrial accident left me unable to ride and on disability. I notice there are very few slip on exhaust for the st models. Thinkingof purchasing a slip on of my liking (sound) and having a machine shop modify it to properly fit. Anyone on here tried this and how did it work out. Hopefully I will have a spyder in the next 2-3 months. Appreciate any insight you might have. Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!i

There are a few pipes out there and if you search this site you can see some of the mods made by others. I think the yoshimura 77 will fit the bill and I think you can remove the baffle if you want more sound. Check on u tube for some sounds and pipes out there...hope to see you soon out there..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have the Yoshimura R77 on our RT Limited and it is one great sounding pipe, not too loud or obnoxious.

On our ST-S we have the Akrapovic and it is also one great sound muffler.

On both of them I have removed the baffles and that gives them a little bit deeper sound.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Default Correct me if I am wrong

I read you want sound , there's a exhaust you can check out from all things chrome they make the shot gun exhaust , you can you tube it to hear how loud it is .

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HI and a BIG WELCOME

Hi Dave here, I wanted to change out my muffler as well however I have an older unit
    than you mine is a 2008 GS but engine is same as yours I put on a Two Brothers single.... it was fun
    for a while but it was so loud it would make your ears bleed....I did run across a guy who took the
    pipe from the stock unit and had a muffler shop put a 24 inch Cherry Bomb muffler on it and a large chrome
    tip on the end, he painted it Flat black with Hi Temp paint, so with the chrome tip ( tip is the same O.D as the
    muffler) and the black muffler it looks like it came on it and the sound was super mellow not near as loud as my
    Two Brothers... I think that is my next Mod to mine and the cost is not high at all he said the whole thing was
    just under $100.00 including the muffler chrome tip and welding.
    Good luck
    Ride safe and enjoy
    Dave
    P.S. I may part with my Two Brothers, anyone want to make me an offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmemakeit View Post
    I'm a new member looking to purchase a st limited. Rode Harleys for years until industrial accident left me unable to ride and on disability. I notice there are very few slip on exhaust for the st models. Thinkingof purchasing a slip on of my liking (sound) and having a machine shop modify it to properly fit. Anyone on here tried this and how did it work out. Hopefully I will have a spyder in the next 2-3 months. Appreciate any insight you might have. Thanks.
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 09-17-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. One more thing. Have any of you had warrentry issues with aftermarket exhaust and fuel regulaters like the Juice Box. Also will dealerships install these devices. Once again tthanks. I GOT THE SPYDER FEVER. Im ready to ride again. Its been 3yrs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not wait until you've got your new bike, and piled up some miles with it? Perhaps the stock exhaust won't sound so bad after you give it a chance...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. One more thing. Have any of you had warrentry issues with aftermarket exhaust and fuel regulaters like the Juice Box. Also will dealerships install these devices. Once again tthanks. I GOT THE SPYDER FEVER. Im ready to ride again. Its been 3yrs.
    Velocity Power Sports in Ladson, SC will gladly install those for you. I thought about a Juice Box for my 2013 RTS SE5 (decided not to) and asked P.J. (the mechanic) if he wanted to install it. He preferred to, to know it was done right.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This post requires you to click the Thanks button to read this content.

Spyder Garage

This post requires you to click the Thanks button to read this content.
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    I have the Yoshimura R77 on our RT Limited and it is one great sounding pipe, not too loud or obnoxious.

On our ST-S we have the Akrapovic and it is also one great sound muffler.

On both of them I have removed the baffles and that gives them a little bit deeper sound.

Carl
    I have to agree the R77 is a great sounding pipe with the baffle removed... or with it in. Nice to have options.

The Akrapovic didn't seem to change the sound much... considering the cost.

Another option is to completely gut the stock exhaust or completely gut the Akrapovic. I've heard both now and I think they sound good.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    -= Hidden Content =-

Found the Velocity web site. Going to pay them a visit soon. Do you recomend a particular sales rep to deal with ? Thanks for everyones comments and advice.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default modifed exhaust

I have 09 gs with dual two brothers carbon,,love them..you can change the tips to tune the sound.I don't like it to loud,ended up with the red tips! (black were way to much) They do cost!!!

Spyder Garage

Found the Velocity web site. Going to pay them a visit soon. Do you recomend a particular sales rep to deal with ? Thanks for everyones comments and advice.
    Just ask for Scotty, and tell him I recommended him please. Good luck. Richard Huddleston
    2013 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Visited the dealership this afternoon and found out that there are actually 2 models of Akrapovic exhausts for the ST; the sports (shorter) and the sports-touring (longer).

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these mufflers? Is the sound significantly louder on the sports version throughout the RPM range?

I don't really want a super loud muffler as I find it tiring during long rides. Your input is appreciated.
    Last edited by Benggolf; 09-28-2013 at 02:44 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have a 08 gs. I put a brp on my bike and it sounds awesome.
    when I open the throttle sounds deep. little pricey but im please with it! had to call brp, no body else sell it! also the Yoshi has a nice sound to it for half the price! good luck! im also a former Harley rider!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lou49 View Post
    I have a 08 gs. I put a brp on my bike and it sounds awesome.
    when I open the throttle sounds deep. little pricey but im please with it! had to call brp, no body else sell it! also the Yoshi has a nice sound to it for half the price! good luck! im also a former Harley rider!
    Which BRP muffler? I think there are two...
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For a 990 series engine; the only BRP option would have been the Hindle.
    I rode a GS at SpyderFest this year with a Hindle, and it sounded GREAT!
    Now that they've gone to Akrapovic as a supplier for the 991 series engines; there are two models available.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    Visited the dealership this afternoon and found out that there are actually 2 models of Akrapovic exhausts for the ST; the sports (shorter) and the sports-touring (longer).

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these mufflers? Is the sound significantly louder on the sports version throughout the RPM range?

I don't really want a super loud muffler as I find it tiring during long rides. Your input is appreciated.
    I have the Akrapovic Sport Tourer Muffler, it sounded similar to a Stock Muffler. I took the baffles out, which was very quick and easy.
    The sound now is a much deeper tone, certainlt not loud, but I have had a lot of positive comments about how it doesnt sound like all the other Spyders.

Also I used to have an HMF pipe on my RSS, it had a different tone again, but was a bit louder than a Hindle. I now see they do one for the RT, which you would think would also fit the ST.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics