Thread: Mirror issue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mirror issue

Has anyone ever removed there mirrors and broken the upper mount point on the mirror? Looks like it can be replaced individually. When I took the mirrors off they came off extremely hard. Found there wasn't any white lithium grease at all. Right mirror went on no problem. Left mirror started to go on good then it I noticed that the upper part of the mirror wasn't attached so I pulled it back off and found the following:
    image.jpgimage.jpg

I guess it is a learning experience, ugh. Anybody know how much it runs?
    Last edited by LimitedRTCan-AmSpyder; 09-16-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Grammer

Spyder Garage

Been there, done that. Cost about $8 to replace from dealer.

Spyder Garage

Default Mirror issue

219800158 MSRP $7.19

KYSPYDER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you both. I am going to order two for both sides, just in case. I don't like being without my my Spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedRTCan-AmSpyder View Post
    Thank you both. I am going to order two for both sides, just in case. I don't like being without my my Spyder.
    Just an update:

Ordered the parts x3 at Jacksonville Power Sports just now and they are $6.41 each, of course that doesn't include taxes. They have them in the Atlanta warehouse luckily. Should be here just in time for the weekend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is what worry me, It seems that something will break if I try to have access or remove any tupperware. One of the right hand rubber grommet under was missing according to my dealer tech. I never removed any panel since I had my but the tech told me to pay for it.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    This is what worry me, It seems that something will break if I try to have access or remove any tupperware. One of the right hand rubber grommet under was missing according to my dealer tech. I never removed any panel since I had my but the tech told me to pay for it.
    When I removed the the left side the screw was over tightened and creased tge panel and the lower right rubber grommet was missing. Plus they put the wrong washer on the right one and screwed the paint up. Then I found two small nuts, funny thought comes to mind here LOL, just laying under the engine and next to the air intake.
    Thats why I doing my own maintenance.

Spyder Garage

this broke on mine so I made my own out of aluminium.The only thing is it may not break away if mirror gets hit.I used 3/16 thick metal
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    this broke on mine so I made my own out of aluminium.The only thing is it may not break away if mirror gets hit.I used 3/16 thick metal
    This looks like it's laying on a couch we bought from Art Van.(probably not a sponsor) Gary
    2012 RTS 2065 miles
    Web Boards, Champion Tour Full Cover
    USAF 67-71 Weapons Mechanic -Love my B-52
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Spyder Garage

Taking the mirrors off well become easier the more you do it, as will all the tupperware. I was just gonna say if you broke the top mount on the mirror you might not be doing it correctly. The top mount doesn't "snap" on like the other two. When you remove the mirror just pop the bottom two loose with a firm bump with your hand then lift up and out to unhook the top. Pretty much just the opposite when you install it, hook the top on first then snap the bottom two on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scott16119 View Post
    Taking the mirrors off well become easier the more you do it, as will all the tupperware. I was just gonna say if you broke the top mount on the mirror you might not be doing it correctly. The top mount doesn't "snap" on like the other two. When you remove the mirror just pop the bottom two loose with a firm bump with your hand then lift up and out to unhook the top. Pretty much just the opposite when you install it, hook the top on first then snap the bottom two on.
    Poor removal technique is what breaks the clips. The mirrors cannot be muscled! Resist the hand that raps the mirror to pop the sprin clips with one hand, while rapping sharply with the other. You do not want to move the mirror far, just pop the clip. Rap rearward on the outer edge of the mirror to pop the front clip, then carefully rap upward on the bottom outer edge to release the rear clip. Lift straight up about a half inch and slid off the keyhole clip. Pull the connector out of the console, disconnect, and set the mirror aside. Reinstallation is the reverse.

There are a couple of things that can make the job easier. Straighten the wire clips so they are straight and parallel before reattachment. That keeps the mirrors snug when attached. And some light lube on the conical posts will help the mirrors go on and off easier.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you very much all! Awesome information. I have put white lithium grease on the mirrors and the right one comes off and on easily now.

Spyder Garage

Default Mirror Want Go Back On Properly

I got mirror off without breaking top hole but now I can't get front clip to hold. Everything looks OK with front clip but it will not catch. Any ideas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1957cushman View Post
    I got mirror off without breaking top hole but now I can't get front clip to hold. Everything looks OK with front clip but it will not catch. Any ideas.
    Perseverance. I have the same problem. Repeated tries with no good results. Then I found the mirror had a little bit of play in it even though the lower rear pin was already set. I moved the mirror position ever so slightly and tried again. Went right home perfectly. Try moving the mirror position if you follow what I'm trying to say and see if it works.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1957cushman View Post
    I had issues with mine not want to catch either and the grease really does help. Put in place and "bump" it on with your palm. When I first went to pull them off thought for sure they would break! Had to watch some youtube videos before I broke something, now they pop right off.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default mirror

I wish i had read your info i removed all the side cover up to the point of the miirror then it said hit the unit on the front bottom was so careful all day to get the covers off the hit the mirror and the top tab breaks off and lands on the floor ##### I was installing a power plug in the center console had to work around the glove box and all a long day thanks for the info Macgyver 55
    Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Poor removal technique is what breaks the clips. The mirrors cannot be muscled! Resist the hand that raps the mirror to pop the sprin clips with one hand, while rapping sharply with the other. You do not want to move the mirror far, just pop the clip. Rap rearward on the outer edge of the mirror to pop the front clip, then carefully rap upward on the bottom outer edge to release the rear clip. Lift straight up about a half inch and slid off the keyhole clip. Pull the connector out of the console, disconnect, and set the mirror aside. Reinstallation is the reverse.

There are a couple of things that can make the job easier. Straighten the wire clips so they are straight and parallel before reattachment. That keeps the mirrors snug when attached. And some light lube on the conical posts will help the mirrors go on and off easier.

Spyder Garage

Default Mirror Re Install

Quote Originally Posted by macgyver 55 View Post
    I wish i had read your info i removed all the side cover up to the point of the miirror then it said hit the unit on the front bottom was so careful all day to get the covers off the hit the mirror and the top tab breaks off and lands on the floor ##### I was installing a power plug in the center console had to work around the glove box and all a long day thanks for the info Macgyver 55
    When I straightened clip wires out in mirror I could not get them to re engage. I screwed clip stud out and tried to push stud in clip by hand. Bent clip open enough for clip to engage but not so tight that it wouldn't engage. Then screw clip stud back into place.