Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Heat issue

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Heat issue

Well I got some discouraging responses from BRP tech support today. I decided to contact BRP to ask the question about the excessive heat coming out from between the glove box and the seat as well as the right foot and also added the boiling gas issue with my 2013 RT limited. The person I spoke to, sorry I forgot to get his name, told me that this was being corrected by the recall. I explained to him that the recall was in fact due to a heat issue but, it certainly wasn’t going to correct the issues I was speaking of. I decided to explain the issues in detail, telling him that the amount of heat coming out was so bad that you could roast chestnuts, pun intended, that it made the ride very uncomfortable and I believed it to be a safety issue. His response to the heat issue was, and I quote, “We at BRP consider this to be normal operating conditions for the Spyder” and “We recommend that you wear proper riding gear when operating your Spyder”. My response was, “I do wear proper riding gear, should I include a heat shield in the crotch of my jeans to keep from being cooked”. I know that was wrong of me but really?!?! I asked him if this was something that should be reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for investigating. That the heat issue alone might not warrant an investigation but the boiling gas might get someone’s attention. I was quickly instructed to contact my dealer to see if there was anything that could be done to correct the issue. In other words I was brushed off.
    Please don’t get me wrong, my wife and I LOVE riding the Spyder and we will continue to do it as long as we are physically able. I just wish that BRP would at least acknowledge that there’s a problem with the 2013 RT model and help those of us that put our trust and money into their product. I know if they acknowledge an issue, then their obligated to do something about it.
    Does anyone know how to get their attention or at least how to get in touch with someone that cares about customer service?

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

brp.care@brp.com this is the email....report the boiling gas,,,I did along with melted master cylinder....stay on them

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Heat Issues In General

I find that being paranoid takes much of the enjoyment out of the ride. We do we have to look at the temperature and ride at our peril. We all try to dodge the rainy patches but going above 85 degrees should not be an issue. I would never advise someone with a lean budget or lack of wrench savvy to buy a spyder. It was to be an investment in fun to ride during my declining years. Now it is fun to ride but I go to spyder lovers to plot the mods to make the bike last through those years. Spyder seem to have a decent shelf life but it seems to be because of a handful of mods. Not by the grace of BPR Gary
    2012 RTS 2065 miles
    Web Boards, Champion Tour Full Cover
    USAF 67-71 Weapons Mechanic -Love my B-52
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Spyder Garage

Mettlerk I feel you pain. My 2010 RS got me hooked on the Spyder. I rode it cross country and never had any concerns. Since buying my ST Limited in Feb, I have had it in the shop for a total of 3 times. First two were alignment issues then heat issues with elated components. I have ad the recall done last week but still do not trust riding too far from my home. I enjoy long rides but fear having all my gear burn up should the bike go up in flames. Looking at the new Indian motorcycles. Hate to switch but hate paying for a bike that only sits in my garage. Not sure what my final decision will be . I do love my Spyder but have serious concerns about its reliability as related to the 2013's.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
    I find that being paranoid takes much of the enjoyment out of the ride. We do we have to look at the temperature and ride at our peril. We all try to dodge the rainy patches but going above 85 degrees should not be an issue. I would never advise someone with a lean budget or lack of wrench savvy to buy a spyder. It was to be an investment in fun to ride during my declining years. Now it is fun to ride but I go to spyder lovers to plot the mods to make the bike last through those years. Spyder seem to have a decent shelf life but it seems to be because of a handful of mods. Not by the grace of BPR Gary
    I'm a firm believer that if it weren't for this forum and the awesome people that support one another, a lot of people would be lost. I'm good with hands and can most likely come up with a fix to my issues but I just don't feel that I should have to do that. I guess I was just venting my frustration.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mettlerk View Post
    I'm a firm believer that if it weren't for this forum and the awesome people that support one another, a lot of people would be lost. I'm good with hands and can most likely come up with a fix to my issues but I just don't feel that I should have to do that. I guess I was just venting my frustration.
    I think we all are in agreement that no one but BRP should have to come up with a fix for this.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by twain View Post
    Mettlerk I feel you pain. My 2010 RS got me hooked on the Spyder. I rode it cross country and never had any concerns. Since buying my ST Limited in Feb, I have had it in the shop for a total of 3 times. First two were alignment issues then heat issues with elated components. I have ad the recall done last week but still do not trust riding too far from my home. I enjoy long rides but fear having all my gear burn up should the bike go up in flames. Looking at the new Indian motorcycles. Hate to switch but hate paying for a bike that only sits in my garage. Not sure what my final decision will be . I do love my Spyder but have serious concerns about its reliability as related to the 2013's.
    I guess I'm not really concerned about breaking down on the road or even a fire, that could happen with any bike and thats why i keep AAA and insurance. I came off a Victory Vision because my hips couldn't take the weight any longer and I truly love riding the spyder. I can afford to do the necessary mods, if there was one out there. I just haven't heard of one yet. If I must, I'll take the hit and trade it in on the 2014 but I will remain on spyder.

Spyder Garage

Well I got some discouraging responses from BRP tech support today. I decided to contact BRP to ask the question about the excessive heat coming out from between the glove box and the seat as well as the right foot and also added the boiling gas issue with my 2013 RT limited. The person I spoke to, sorry I forgot to get his name, told me that this was being corrected by the recall. I explained to him that the recall was in fact due to a heat issue but, it certainly wasn’t going to correct the issues I was speaking of. I decided to explain the issues in detail, telling him that the amount of heat coming out was so bad that you could roast chestnuts, pun intended, that it made the ride very uncomfortable and I believed it to be a safety issue. His response to the heat issue was, and I quote, “We at BRP consider this to be normal operating conditions for the Spyder” and “We recommend that you wear proper riding gear when operating your Spyder”. My response was, “I do wear proper riding gear, should I include a heat shield in the crotch of my jeans to keep from being cooked”. I know that was wrong of me but really?!?! I asked him if this was something that should be reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for investigating. That the heat issue alone might not warrant an investigation but the boiling gas might get someone’s attention. I was quickly instructed to contact my dealer to see if there was anything that could be done to correct the issue. In other words I was brushed off.
    Please don’t get me wrong, my wife and I LOVE riding the Spyder and we will continue to do it as long as we are physically able. I just wish that BRP would at least acknowledge that there’s a problem with the 2013 RT model and help those of us that put our trust and money into their product. I know if they acknowledge an issue, then their obligated to do something about it.
    Does anyone know how to get their attention or at least how to get in touch with someone that cares about customer service?

You have a glove box?

Spyder Garage

You guys are scaring me, we take delivery of my wife's new ST-S SE5 on Saturday. I will still be on my BMW for a while but was planning on a second Spyder for myself next year. I sold a Honda ST1300 a few years ago solely because of heat on the rider, now I hear this is a chronic issue with the Spyder. We live in the Eastern half of Washington where it gets pretty hot in the summer so perhaps I should consider aborting the purchase. At any rate, glad I found this forum and thanks for all your posts. BTW, what "recall" is being referred to?
    Last edited by RandyL; 09-16-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    2019 Spyder F3-T, white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RandyL View Post
    ... BTW, what "recall" is being referred to?
    Re: Can-Am® Spyder® Roadster - Tandem Master Cylinder Manifold Inlet - Fire Hazard (recall also involves the gasoline evaporative emissions canister, although it is not mentioned). From the BRP website: http://www.spyder.brp.com/owner-cent...a-a23000acae20
    Last edited by Huddleston; 09-17-2013 at 05:54 AM.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

I'd like to get BRP to send me the new enhanced air flow body panels to try out on the 2013 ST...I already sent them an email...

Spyder Garage

Have you talked to your dealer?
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Have you talked to your dealer?
    Yes I did. I went by there this afternoon and will be dropping off my spyder on Thursday for the recall work. My service tech told me he has been on two Rt's that had what he thought to be way to much heat coming out around the seat. Lets see if he can make any difference.

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You guys are scaring me, we take delivery of my wife's new ST-S SE5 on Saturday. I will still be on my BMW for a while but was planning on a second Spyder for myself next year. I sold a Honda ST1300 a few years ago solely because of heat on the rider, now I hear this is a chronic issue with the Spyder. We live in the Eastern half of Washington where it gets pretty hot in the summer so perhaps I should consider aborting the purchase. At any rate, glad I found this forum and thanks for all your posts. BTW, what "recall" is being referred to?
    its been well noted that not all bikes have the heat issue to the point that the bike is dangerous. I think the bikes that have shown signs of melting master cylinder are the bikes that set in very slow traffic in very hot areas of the country. There have been many bikes go I for the recall already that showed no signs of melting. When its 95 degrees out side and you set in 10mph traffic for 30 minutes the bike is going to be hot! At the same time there have been some bikes that truly have heating issues to the point the bike goes into limp mode and the MC has started to melt!
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I'd like to get BRP to send me the new enhanced air flow body panels to try out on the 2013 ST...I already sent them an email...
    I wonder if that will really work.

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't go that far. As with any company that produces goods, there bound to be a problem along the way. The real test for these company's is how they respond to them. Think about it, a few years back Ford had a problem with their cruise control causing fires. They didn't have a fix out of the gate but, they took responsibility for the problem and requested that people disconnect the system until a fix was found and they fixed it.
    I'm sure BRP will resolve this, I just think its going to take more then a few people to make it happen.

IMHO I don't think there a more enjoyable ride out there.

Spyder Garage

That would be cool, although I haven't had any issue yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange monster View Post
    its been well noted that not all bikes have the heat issue to the point that the bike is dangerous. I think the bikes that have shown signs of melting master cylinder are the bikes that set in very slow traffic in very hot areas of the country. There have been many bikes go I for the recall already that showed no signs of melting. When its 95 degrees out side and you set in 10mph traffic for 30 minutes the bike is going to be hot! At the same time there have been some bikes that truly have heating issues to the point the bike goes into limp mode and the MC has started to melt!
    I found my master cylinder melted in June...7500 miles...all miles were long distance....never in stop and go traffic and the temps had been from 45 to 90 (March -June) my screen went to "High Temps...Limp Mode" in 15 miles of riding..90 degrees....again...never in stop and go traffic

Spyder Garage

I found my master cylinder melted in June...7500 miles...all miles were long distance....never in stop and go traffic and the temps had been from 45 to 90 (March -June) my screen went to "High Temps...Limp Mode" in 15 miles of riding..90 degrees....again...never in stop and go traffic

On a ST-L ?

W one or two riders?

Just wondering.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

NORMAL OPERATING CONDITIONS If this is normal, why do they state in their ads for the 2014 models that the heat issue has been addressed (Or something to that effect). Normal operating conditions does not leave blisters on your thighs caused by the heat. This is an inferior product and BRP needs to step up, admit it, and correct the problems or give the 2013 owners a very good incentive to purchase a 2014, if they so desire. My bike has been parked for 2 1/2 weeks. I did not pay $27,000 to walk by and admire how sharp it looks. I bought a bike to ride. YOU MADE AN ERROR IN THE DESIGN OF THE 2013s. ADMIT IT, BRP!!!

Spyder Garage

I also suggested this on the forum earlier today as an across the board offer to all owners of 2013's. Probably did not win any new friends, but I feel the subject is like unfinished business.

If not a freebie--then at cost or something similar.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange monster View Post
    I think the bikes that have shown signs of melting master cylinder are the bikes that set in very slow traffic in very hot areas of the country. !
    not so..... if you don't have issues..lucky you.

Spyder Garage

on a ST-L one rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    On a ST-L ?

W one or two riders?

Just wondering.

Spyder Garage

Default heat

i contacted them by e mail and saved all the e mails between us. i also got a case number off of them and if the problem continues with my right foot getting very hot i might start a lemon law suit against them
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

The 'comfort' issues are not likely to gain any traction with NHTSA, EPA or lemon law case and therefor with BRP. The boiling gas and resultant fume emissions IS. We need to be complaining about the boiling gas and gas fume issues. Fix that and the comfort issues around the seat will improve as a result. I would really like to find out if any of the air flow improvements from the 2014 can be easily adapted to the 2013s.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame