Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEEL RIPPED OFF

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default As Bob would say Buy some good insurance and ride

I have a 2011 and have lots of added parts , but if it were to catch on fire and we did not burn up all is good to get a new bike . enjoy what you have and love the ride. No reason to look for trouble it will find you all on its own. Just ride when you can and live the dream.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    Hello I purchased my 2013 RT 23 days ago. i was not a member of this forum when I purchased mybike. I was looking at Honda trikes and Harley-Davidson trikes. I started to research the spyder On Can am website and YouTube videos. Then I went to my local dealer and test drove one and I was hooked. Since I purchased my bike and became a member of this forum I learned of a lot of issues the 2013 are having. Also my highbeam does not work my air ride suspension has a slow leak plus the master cylinder recall and the bike can burst into flames. I am starting to second-guess my purchase. Where I feel ripped off is I asked my local dealer if there was going to be any major changes for 2014 and he said not that he knew. I did save some money on my bike because it was an end of year sale. But when you're spending that kind of money a couple thousand dollars more is not really an object to me when I'm going to get a better product after seeing the 2014 line up.
    You must feel similar to those who just bought a 2013 Anniversary Harley Davidson Limited... only to find out about the upgrades they made to the '14 Limiteds...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snappy264 View Post
    I feel the same - I bought my RT a month ago. I wish I had discovered this forum prior to my purchase as I would have waited for a while to see what the changes were. I took mine in for it's first service and had the heat tape applied. My dealership feels bad because I have aluminum foil in the front storage compartment to deflect heat and am going to find some sort of liner for the underside of the seat to deflect the heat away from my legs. Every time I ride my pants are soaked as if I peed my pants! To me this is unacceptable but the dealership says there is nothing they can do. I was also informed by my mechanic that I was driving the bike wrong and am not supposed to be shifting until I reach 5500 rpm's. He even suggested I take it up to 7,000 occasionally before I shift. To me (and I could be wrong) higher RPM's means more speed, more fuel consumption (on a low mileage tank) and more engine noise! I am trying very hard to fall in like with this bike but am currently coming up short. I also think it stinks that I should have to spend a significant amount of money on after market products for my bike to have basic comforts. Just frustrated but trying to make the most of it…..
    Higher rpm's does not mean higher speed. I can do 7000 rpm's in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear and won't be breaking the sound-barrier. All it means when suggesting higher rpm's is to hold-on before shifting to the next higher gear. Too many feel they have to up-shift as soon as possible. Try keeping your rpm's above 4000 rpm's after an up-shift -- which requires running a gear out to a higher rpm (around 5000-5100 rpm's). After a while you'll like the way the machine performs once you get used to operating it in this manner...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't feel ripped off; your bike is STILL the same beauty that you rolled off the lot three weeks ago...
    ...And something better is ALWAYS coming down the pike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I use to feel that way everytime I bought a new computer (PC), the next week they would have a faster, better and cheaper one. I know it suxs to buy something new like that and the changes be so major but I think your sales person was most likely telling you the truth, he wasn't told by BRP that a new motor was coming down the line. It's always a good idea to find out when the new models are being announced and decide then if you want to wait or not. You still have a great bike, just not the latest and greatest but at some point you just got to jump in and not wait for what's new, if you did you would be waiting forever.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I use to feel that way everytime I bought a new computer (PC), the next week they would have a faster, better and cheaper one. I know it suxs to buy something new like that and the changes be so major but I think your sales person was most likely telling you the truth, he wasn't told by BRP that a new motor was coming down the line. It's always a good idea to find out when the new models are being announced and decide then if you want to wait or not. You still have a great bike, just not the latest and greatest but at some point you just got to jump in and not wait for what's new, if you did you would be waiting forever.
    Thanks. It's not so much that I feel I missed out on the latest and greatest. I'm more upset about the heat issue and my bike possibly catching on fire. It seems that BRP new about this and they corrected that for 2014. I feel that my dealer should've known this issue when I was purchasing my bike. Now on my new 2013 they want to stick some tape around some parts and consider that a recall and it won't catch on Fire.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was hoping not to have to buy another one of these when I purchased this one. It's not every day that I dropped $20,000 plus on a toy. I was hoping not to have to replace this in two years. I didn't want to have to plan on buying a lot of aftermarket parts. If I wanted to do that I would've bought something used I could tinker with. With this I expect to go out and turn the key and it starts every time at least when it's brand-new.
    "DITTO"

Spyder Garage

Default ripped off

i don't feel ripped off. i am just a little upset that i had to put money into a brand new bike to upgrade the front shocks and than a ball joint recall and to get parts there is a wait. sure i would want a newer version of the bike but the same happens with cars, computers, really everything we buy. i also feel a lil heat tape on parts is not a fix it is just a quick idea to keep people quiet. i just put a post on here with BRP's contact e mail and i feel all of us with issues on our bikes should contact them like i just did to say we are unhappy and ask what they are planning on doing about the problems
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Thanks. It's not so much that I feel I missed out on the latest and greatest. I'm more upset about the heat issue and my bike possibly catching on fire. It seems that BRP new about this and they corrected that for 2014. I feel that my dealer should've known this issue when I was purchasing my bike. Now on my new 2013 they want to stick some tape around some parts and consider that a recall and it won't catch on Fire.
    As far as I know there have only been two 2013 RT's that have caught fire, SpyderAnn and one in the parking lot of a demo ride. From what I understand there has been much testing with the required recall that the heat issue is fixed as far as parts getting hot and melting. I wouldn't be concerned about that.

Spyder Garage

Default either way

either way i am carrying hot dogs so if the bike catches fire i can cook them waiting for the fire truck and tow truck.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

If you think that 2014 hurt some feelings, wait til 2015 when the rs and st get the three cylinder.
    2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, Web Boards in Black Line-X Closed pattern, Bajaron sway bar and links, Spyderpop's Bump Skid, GloRyder remote controlled lights, show chrome rear rack, cargo nets in the all three rear bags, more to come........

Spyder Garage

Default Does not matter what you purchase, something new alwways

is introduced, and depending when its introduced, some always feel slighted. Regarding the recall, most Mfg. either in cars, trucks, or cycles have had them. Whether its a 30K cycle or car, they do happen. To me its how they handle it is what matters. The aftermarket will likely solve the heat issues, although I admit if its largely the 13' models there maybe not much R&D done as with the limited number affected and therefore return on investment. BRP may also address it, as it does have their customers attention and its a negative talking point. We LOVE our 13' Ltd., we rode a 12' before buying it earleir this year. After riding it, it was a no brainer to buy the 13' for us, but each to their own. The same likely will be said for the 14' model, I know this, we have enjoyed our 9,000 miles of nearly trouble free operation, and who knows.... maybe we willl decide to ride a 14' next spring and look at our options. I must admit the 6 speed and larger engine sound tempting as we do a fair amount of touring, but until we ride one we won't know the difference I guess... Enjoy your Spyder, no matter what year, and Ride....
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

One thing everybody is overlooking here is the 2014's haven't seen any miles on a production model. Only prototype test mules. 2014 RT's could prove to be the biggest pile on 3 wheels. Nobody knows. All you have to go on is their advertising on how good it's going to be. A new motor is a gamble. Maybe they fixed the best issues who knows.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat?

As far as I know there have only been two 2013 RT's that have caught fire, SpyderAnn and one in the parking lot of a demo ride. From what I understand there has been much testing with the required recall that the heat issue is fixed as far as parts getting hot and melting. I wouldn't be concerned about that.
    Well we just got back from a 450 mile ryde to the Nor-Cal coast and I really feel like the bike is running cooler since we had it in for the recall. I didn't feel as much as I did the week before and we rode the bike pretty hard. From the Sacramento area we headed through Napa and Sonoma into Santa Rosa. From there we headed down to Guernville and through the Redwoods out to Jenner, and up the coast to Fort Ross. Had a great night there in the hot tub overlooking the ocean. Then the next morning we drove to Sea Ranch for Breakfast and a walk on the Bluffs. Headed North to Mendocino and tired the main streets there and stopped for fefreshments. Back down through an Awesome Redwood forest along the Navarro river into Booneville. Now I don't have any after market handling parts on the bike but I was able to handle a lot of twistys at 15 to 20 over the posted speed for those turns and I had a blast throwing through the turns. We then took 101 south and eventually onto 80 for the ride home. The point of this is, that when I read Lamonster's post I had the same sort of feeling regrading the changes. I obviously didn't burn up, and I can say that I am not worried about that happening. I do know this, A third cylinder was not going to add anything to my fun, and the heat. Didn't seem to be a problem. One thing happened that was weird and I would ask for some input on. We stopped to take some "Spyder in the Redwoods" pictures, the engine was running about where it always does, a little above Half way on the analog heat gauge. We took some quick pictures and got ready to go. BTW the ambient temp in those woods was about 65 F. When I wen to start the motor, I got the orange screen. A warning of High Engine Temp, and "Limp Home Mode". I took the key out and ut it back in, and we had a normal start ad ran at the same temp all the way Home. What was up with that?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Thanks that makes me feel better.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    either way i am carrying hot dogs so if the bike catches fire i can cook them waiting for the fire truck and tow truck.
    THAT'S REALLY FUNNY. I'll bring the marshmallows

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Rattigan_Roger;689345]I have watched BRP since their newest offering was a the 335 Olympique ski-doo.
    In other words, a long time.

This is what I can say about them.
    They have shortcomings.
    But, they always pull through in the end.
    They are slow, and sometimes ponderous.
    But they will address all the issues and fix them.

I have no connection with them.[/QUOTe

Roger Are WE dating ourselves or what? How about that Elan?....when I first sat on my 2010 Spyder I said wow this is just like sitting on my first ski-doo when I was just a youngin' (well 20's look mighty young to me!!!). Couldn't agree more....how many SL posts have there been about the problematic 2010? Ms Spyder is at 63k+ and still ryding great. The majority are awesome...the few with problems post here AND THEY SHOULD...no better forum out there than SL people. And there is nothing more frustrating than when our beloved Spyders are not being NICE.. OK really going to be a nice day today and 10 degrees cooler (yea) so better roll them tires a little..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe BRP will help us to get this behind us and they will find the best resolve. I'm sure its hard to wait and see.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    One thing everybody is overlooking here is the 2014's haven't seen any miles on a production model. Only prototype test mules. 2014 RT's could prove to be the biggest pile on 3 wheels. Nobody knows. All you have to go on is their advertising on how good it's going to be. A new motor is a gamble. Maybe they fixed the best issues who knows.
    This is actually a proven design; they've been running a 1200cc triple in theri sleds for long enough to know that it's bulletproof!

The 1200 makes 130 horses; it's be turned down a notch as the 1330 to broaden up the torque curve even more...

PLUS; they doubled the coolant system capacity.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have 3500 trouble free miles on my 13 STS, going in for the recall in 2 weeks...

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind there are 2 main types of people who posts in the forums: Those who have issues and those who have solutions.

Every body else (like me) mostly just sit back, enjoy and learn from other member's experience. The majority of forum members with little or no problems are grossly under-represented in the active posts.

Heated discussions do not mean wide-spread, guaranteed problem for all owners. I personally use the knowledge to keep an eye on what I learned might go wrong with my ride.
    I did not mean to , 'just tough I would give a voice to the silent majority.

Enjoy your ride, keep your eyes open, stay informed.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

First of all; I don't feel ripped off.

But, I would like to add to this thread, as well, considering my 2013 RT-S is not quite 8 weeks old.

3,075 of the best miles I have ever ridden, I might add. J

When I saw the post from my dealer this morning on FB, I didn’t think much of it until I decided to Google the 2014 Spyders. I thought someone had jerked the rug out from under me!!
    Originally; I wasn’t even considering my next Spyder until next year. Then; November of this year was looking quite likely. But; somehow,,, I decided why not sooner, if I could swing it. My dealer had told me not long before I purchased my new one that since BRP made the suspension & other changes for 2013, there probably would be no changes except for possibly colors for the 2014 model year.
    I knew I wanted Circuit Yellow Metallic. And, since I was able to work it out, I took delivery on July 26th.
    Now; the 2014 RT-S is announced with a 3 cylinder engine, etc,,,. I have to say, I thought I was going to be sick! And, of course; it is offered in the same color as mine. Not a thing I can do about it now! I cannot blame the dealer! 8 weeks ago, they had no idea of the upcoming changes.
    So; I move on, and enjoy what I have. It is wonderful! So now; I have something to look forward to in 3 years, or so.
    But; yeah! Next time, I’ll wait until the following models are announced if it’s near the end of the year that I am looking to buy.
    Last edited by Greg H.; 09-16-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAPike View Post
    I couldn't agree more. The 2012's have been a great year. All the bugs worked out from 2 years of real world testing. I was able to read about all the great mods that are out there and pick just the right ones for my style of riding and my budget. (budget, if there's any such thing with a cycle, two or three wheeler)

I'm thinking next year watch and see how the new 2014 RT are performing (who would've thought the 2013 would be the headache they have become) and then buy a 2015 at the end of 2015 with the discounts they offer as the 2016's are coming out.

I would do the same thing if I owned a 2013. I'd keep it two more years. The aftermarket guys are going to come up with some great mods to improve the issues.

My 2012 RT has performed flawlessly... never thrown a code or given me any problems... well.. other than front wheel wobble which was due to crappy OEM tires.

I guess I don't get why BRP released the 2013 RT's with changes when they knew the 2014 would have the big changes. I would have left the RT's alone for 2013 and just focused on the release of the ST. I certainly think 2012 is one of the best years for the RT. The new powertrain for 2014 sounds great... but I'm also waiting for it to have a few years under it's belt!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It may have just been an interim step, to see what production issues they had with the new frame?

Spyder Garage

Default Enjoy the Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by KAPike View Post
    I have read about all the problems with the Spyders to the point that I've been scared to even go out in the garage and sit on my RT. Then I have to remind myself that everyone post the problems they are having and very seldom the great trouble free times they have had. I left Friday afternoon after work for a quick trip up north to the Mackinaw Bridge, 760 miles round trip and not an ounce of problems, I just turned 8400 miles on my RT since my purchase August 2012. The RT has ran trouble free and is a blast.

I'll keep my 2012 for two more years and then upgrade. By then BRP will have a couple of years under their belt with the new 1300 and most of the bugs worked out as well.
    Good thoughts....me too. I've rode 6400+ miles on my 2012 RT (basically June - today) without any major problems. Never leaving me stranded, always starts well, etc. Good to keep in mind all the good things about them. Like many, I had a couple minor issues that are taken care of. Keep on rydin'
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac