Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Angry Guess RS crowd doesn't rate

I am very, very, very unimpressed with the new line up. Putting a larger displacement, higher HP, higher torque motor in an RT is like putting a 392 Hemi in a conversion van. It seems to me that the motor and 6 speed transmission are wasted on a vehicle that needs an immediate shock and sway bar upgrade to handle the corners. It does not make sense to me that the "sport" model of this machine is going to have the smaller and more anemic motor. I am guessing that BRP is looking to end production on the RS models, and this is a good way to do it. The RS is the model that started it all. Even though it is over-priced it is still selling, but apparently the profit margin is not good enough to upgrade the model. It is just one more model year that I have been disgusted with. On one hand,it would make me sick to have to switch to another brand such as polaris. On the other, if I am gonna have a bloated $30,000 machine shoved down my throat, I will have to look elsewhere for what I want.
    I love my RS-S and will never give it up, but I am starting to take offense at the lack of effort on BRP's part.

Just sayin'...........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

rs and rss should have been the first to get the new engine--- I would think!! oh well 365 days and counting----

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't be to worried about it... It just gives us another year or two to put some miles on the reliable equipment that we already have.
    Let the RT peeps work out all the bugs for us....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I am very, very, very unimpressed with the new line up. Putting a larger displacement, higher HP, higher torque motor in an RT is like putting a 392 Hemi in a conversion van. It seems to me that the motor and 6 speed transmission are wasted on a vehicle that needs an immediate shock and sway bar upgrade to handle the corners. It does not make sense to me that the "sport" model of this machine is going to have the smaller and more anemic motor. I am guessing that BRP is looking to end production on the RS models, and this is a good way to do it. The RS is the model that started it all. Even though it is over-priced it is still selling, but apparently the profit margin is not good enough to upgrade the model. It is just one more model year that I have been disgusted with. On one hand,it would make me sick to have to switch to another brand such as polaris. On the other, if I am gonna have a bloated $30,000 machine shoved down my throat, I will have to look elsewhere for what I want.
    I love my RS-S and will never give it up, but I am starting to take offense at the lack of effort on BRP's part.

Just sayin'...........

I feel you.... Can't believe no upgrade.
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It may just be that the engine upgrade goes where the most money is currently spent. For the time being.
    That's OK by me....if the at some point in the future the RS(S) is fitted with the triple and after all of the likely
    teething problems have been ironed out.
    Possibly Can-Am are using the current production year to get rid of their V-Twin engine stock
    and as the RS has had no real heat problems they'll use what 998s they have on the lighter sports machine.
    But I hear where you're coming from and I also would like to see that triple in an RS-S of the future.
    Bring it on!! Hey!! You're a young guy anyway...I'm an old fart looking at his last years of motorcycling!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    It may just be that the engine upgrade goes where the most money is currently spent. For the time being.
    That's OK by me....if the at some point in the future the RS(S) is fitted with the triple and after all of the likely
    Possibly Can-Am are using the current production year to get rid of their V-Twin engine stock
    and as the RS has had no real heat problems they'll use what 998s they have on the lighter sports machine.
    But I hear where you're coming from and I also would like to see that triple in an RS-S of the future.
    Bring it on!! Hey!! You're a young guy anyway...I'm an old fart looking at his last years of motorcycling!!
    I don't know how old you are bro, but this old fart here is 62!

Spyder Garage

Typically sport bikes run at higher rpms and cruisers run lower rpms. I know that riding with Lamont and Ron on the way to SpyderFest they would leave my RT in the dust. Lamont in his ST pulling a trailer still had more power then my RT. is a bigger engine really needed in an RS or ST?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredux View Post
    Typically sport bikes run at higher rpms and cruisers run lower rpms. I know that riding with Lamont and Ron on the way to SpyderFest they would leave my RT in the dust. Lamont in his ST pulling a trailer still had more power then my RT. is a bigger engine really needed in an RS or ST?
    needed -- no! wanted - yes!!!

Spyder Garage

In a word............YES.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RS-S DOES get some tweaking to the VSS system...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Spyderman60:I don't know how old you are bro, but this old fart here is 62!
    LOL!! That comment was directed at otter28169!
    62 huh? I only got three years on you, mate at 65.....
    but hey, who's counting!! Keeping my knees in the breeze!
    (Well, trying anyhow!!)
    Last edited by OJ UK; 09-15-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Nothing here that would make me spring for a new model. Last year the RS HP was reduced by 8.
    Last edited by rnet; 09-15-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

For sure it was needed in the RT. The RS is the sport version of the Spyder, most sportbikes are 600cc with some 1000cc and a few 1300cc. The RS already has the upper end size wise. There are no true touring bikes that are 998cc. Even 1300cc is on the small size.

Spyder Garage

We're all guessing, of course, but I'd say you are pretty close to right on. If you're smart you put the mods where the money is. The RT Series sells better and probably has a better net than the RS series (though I think the ST may have really bumped the numbers up).

I'm not ready for an RT and, like many, I would like to have seen the triple in the RS/ST line. That would have given me great cause to consider a new Spyder.

Let's let the RT crowd work out the kinks and hope that BRP can do us this favor next year. And who's to say there won't be a mid-model year release.. Say next spring! Just in time for riding season 2014!

Now that would be REAL SMART

By the way, it wouldn't be my first triple. A simpler time to be sure.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Besides; the original bodywork was probably not designed with a lot of extra space around the twin...
    They may not have been able to shoehorn the triple in there!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I do understand where your coming from, Here is the other point of view from a touring perspective. Out of the box the RT is carring a couple of hundred more pounds than the RS. This alone justifies some more power. Add to this the fact that many of us are always riding 2 up loaded to the gills as well as pulling the Trailer, that empty, weights in at 250 lbs. Load it with another 100 to 150 lbs and the numbers simply overwhelm the 998 motor. We learn to adjust our riding to compensate for the lack of power and torque. We also must plan ahead when it comes to slowing down. (the better brakes on the '13 s has helped this). If you have an SM5 (as I do) it really can be a bear to pull out on an uphill incline with this type of load. A lot of clutch and a lot of throttle. I do agree that the 1300 engine should be available across the board for the spyder line as it is going to be a great improvement for the brand. I would say that within a couple of years it will be available in the RS. I think The spyder line needs to continue to offer the sport, sport touring and touring lines. There is a market for all three. You never know, maybe they will retain the 998 as a base offering in the RS and the 1300 for the top of the line in the RS S. That gets my vote.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    For sure it was needed in the RT. The RS is the sport version of the Spyder, most sportbikes are 600cc with some 1000cc and a few 1300cc. The RS already has the upper end size wise. There are no true touring bikes that are 998cc. Even 1300cc is on the small size.
    The spyder is not like other bikes. And my 2005 Mach Z had much more power out of it's 1000cc SDI motor. No reason we can't tune it up a little and turn the motorcycle world on it's ear again.

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    <snip>
    By the way, it wouldn't be my first triple. A simpler time to be sure.

Oooooh....very nice! Is that a Mach 1 500cc or an H2 750cc? I had a brief sojourn with a Mach 1 waaaaaay back
    when its owner was in the Royal Navy and he'd broken the one into three throttle cable so I made up a new one and had the use of the bike for
    around eight weeks one summer before Kawasaki had a real importer in the UK and spares were very difficult to get.
    It didn't go round corners but by golly did it go in a straight line.....mainly on the rear wheel I seem to remember!!
    I've got a mate who has a mint H2 and aside from the horrendous fuel costs it's gorgeous.
    Last edited by OJ UK; 09-15-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Otter & some others. Sorry to hear that you are not excited with the offerings for the RS.

As most know, I started with the GS and then an RS before moving on to the RT.

After driving the RT's since 2010, most also know that I rented an RS while on my most recent vacation. The difference in power on the RS was very noticable to me in comparison to what I am now used to. With the standard 998 cc I do not have any complaint about less power or performance on the RS in comparison to the RT. The RS seemed like a rocket in comparison to my current RT's. We were also riding two up.

I have been complaining since day one (2010) that I thought the RT was somewhat underpowered in comparison to my previous GS/RS 's. There is a need for the bigger engine on the RT and with the other improvements (service levels, lower rpm shifting range, longer driving range etc)--I think they have a winner there. I would not be surprised that this technology will show up on the other models also before long.

I was thinking that my days for getting another were coming to closure--but know I have something to ponder very closely. Will I become a 5 owner?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Oooooh....very nice! Is that a Mach 1 500cc or an H2 750cc? I had a brief sojourn with a Mach 1 waaaaaay back
    when its owner was in the Royal Navy and he'd broken the one into three throttle cable so I made up a new one and had the use of the bike for
    around eight weeks one summer before Kawasaki had a real importer in the UK and spares were very difficult to get.
    It didn't go round corners but by golly did it go in a straight line.....mainly on the rear wheel I seem to remember!!
    I've got a mate who has a mint H2 and aside from the horrendous fuel costs it's gorgeous.
    This was the 500cc (499), Mach III, H1. I can't remember if it was a 69 or 70. One was white and the other red (not to much on color choices back then.) A rocket ship straight ahead and a death trap in curves. Never a dull moment!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'd like to see some up-grades for the RSS but glad it's not this year since I just got mine. Maybe next year they will add the 3 cylinder to the RSS give it a year in the RT to see how it does. I'd be little nervous about the first year on a new powerplant even if it has been really tested well. Real world test with different people and different riding styles will show the real tail on how it does.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I too think that the RS-S should have gotten the larger motor, Its the sportbike variant, it's supposed to be the most powerful, quickest bike in the lineup. I Can see why the RT with all its extra bloat needs the larger motor, but they should have just done an upgrade all across the board.

Spyder Garage

As an avowed RS fan... I'm DELIGHTED they didn't put the triple in there.

I don't want a torque-monster in the RS. The RS is the sportbike of the bunch, it should feel like a sportbike. And that means high revs.

Now, I do want more POWER in the RS. And range, and reliability, and all the rest that the RT guys are now getting. But I'd much prefer to have a different engine in there.

But leave the triple, as designed, for the RT (and, eventually, the ST... I'm guessing next year for that?).
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Otter & some others. Sorry to hear that you are not excited with the offerings for the RS.

As most know, I started with the GS and then an RS before moving on to the RT.

After driving the RT's since 2010, most also know that I rented an RS while on my most recent vacation. The difference in power on the RS was very noticable to me in comparison to what I am now used to. With the standard 998 cc I do not have any complaint about less power or performance on the RS in comparison to the RT. The RS seemed like a rocket in comparison to my current RT's. We were also riding two up.

I have been complaining since day one (2010) that I thought the RT was somewhat underpowered in comparison to my previous GS/RS 's. There is a need for the bigger engine on the RT and with the other improvements (service levels, lower rpm shifting range, longer driving range etc)--I think they have a winner there. I would not be surprised that this technology will show up on the other models also before long.

I was thinking that my days for getting another were coming to closure--but know I have something to ponder very closely. Will I become a 5 owner?
    I own a 2013 RTS and also a 2010 RS. I parked my RTS a couple of weeks ago due to the recall. I rode my RS this past weekend for about 200 miles. I had forgotten how fast this thing runs. I twisted the throttle and I was amazed. Like a rocket is a good comparison. I love my RS. Never had any problems with it. Absolutely NO HEAT ISSUE with the RS. I am selling my RS, but I really have some attachment issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    The spyder is not like other bikes. And my 2005 Mach Z had much more power out of it's 1000cc SDI motor. No reason we can't tune it up a little and turn the motorcycle world on it's ear again.
    I got a simple answer for you that will cost lest than half of a new Spyder.
    http://aerocharger.com/turbo-systems...cycles/spyder/