Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default P1614 is in the House!

...And it ain't pretty!
    Yesterday; my RT started throwing this code right after it wouldn't settle down to a clean, 1400 rpm idle...
    Then I got the Orange Screen of Death!
    Is there any "magic" that can be performed short of a throttle body replacement for this?
    We're right up against next weekend's event in Lake George, and I really would rather ride to it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...And it ain't pretty!
    Yesterday; my RT started throwing this code right after it wouldn't settle down to a clean, 1400 rpm idle...
    Then I got the Orange Screen of Death!
    Is there any "magic" that can be performed short of a throttle body replacement for this?
    We're right up against next weekend's event in Lake George, and I really would rather ride to it...
    bob, have you made the dreaded call to the dealer? ya need that bike in 5 days!

Spyder Garage

Sometimes a reboot will provide a temporary cure...but in the end you need a throttle body.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chuck, I'll be on the phone to him in 24 minutes...
    Thanks for a glimmer of hope, Scotty!
    Does anybody know what one of those suckers costs? This one will be on my dime!

Spyder Garage

Default Throttle body

Sorry to hear you're having problems.....Up here in Canada, the throttle body is in the range of $900.00 plus dollars (doesn't include R & R) Good luck with your dealer....Ride Safe

Spyder Garage

I seem to remember someone posting the other day that a throttle body would be $840 US. Aargh!!!

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Wow . . . sorry to hear that, Bob . . . I was hoping it would have been one of those bogus codes that things that clear up after a reboot.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

? (and this is not meant to cause pain, but is entirely for information purposes) I'm assuming your RT-S is a 2010. I'm also assuming you have extended warranty. Does the extended warranty not cover this issue? I'm asking because at this point I do not have extended warranty on my 2013. At the time I bought my 13 I felt I would be trading it in in two years. However, there is the "sales point advantage" of having it when I go to trade in or sell my 13. In other words, what's the point of having the extended warranty if it doesn't cover items like this?

Bob, I can appreciate what is happening on your end. I had a wiring harness go bad on my 2010 a day before I was headed to spyderfest. As you said in an earlier post it was a complicated replacement, and I wasn't able to make the event. I hope that is not the case with you.

Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Murphy strikes

...And it ain't pretty!
    Then I got the Orange Screen of Death! G
    Sounds like Murphy snuck into your garage Bob when you left the garage door up Friday. Sure hope you can get it replaced in time?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Sometimes a reboot will provide a temporary cure...but in the end you need a throttle body.
    ? would adding a good fuel cleaner help fix this problem. or is something stuck open/closed to cause.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    ? would adding a good fuel cleaner help fix this problem. or is something stuck open/closed to cause.
    I have heard a lot of theories on what is causing 2010 throttle bodies to fail, which is different than the 2011's. None of them would be aided by fuel system cleaners or manual throttle body cleaning, however. There was a rumor that just the positioner was going to be made available for the 2010, but I have never heard any confirmation of that. Replacing the entire throttle body probably entails less labor anyway.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 09-14-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

We were with one of our MoGang friends in August on a ride when he started getting the orange screen. He thought it was the trottle body. We were on our way to PitBull in Springfield and they found that it was just the throttle body sensor. It would be great if that was all it was. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mac spyder View Post
    We were with one of our MoGang friends in August on a ride when he started getting the orange screen. He thought it was the trottle body. We were on our way to PitBull in Springfield and they found that it was just the throttle body sensor. It would be great if that was all it was. Good luck!

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

Default Sounds Crazy

Bob... this may sound crazy, but do you have a "Cramp Buster" on the throttle? The reason I ask, is my 2013 RT ltd threw that same code, and after a throttle body replacement, it threw it again. A dealership in CA, who had replaced the module looked into others having that problem and asked if I had any aftermarket pieces on the handle. After I removed the "Cramp Buster"... volla : NO PROBLEMS. Just sayin'

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cpdblegl View Post
    Bob... this may sound crazy, but do you have a "Cramp Buster" on the throttle? The reason I ask, is my 2013 RT ltd threw that same code, and after a throttle body replacement, it threw it again. A dealership in CA, who had replaced the module looked into others having that problem and asked if I had any aftermarket pieces on the handle. After I removed the "Cramp Buster"... volla : NO PROBLEMS. Just sayin'
    I know you prefaced your comment with "crazy", but if someone can actually give me a reason why a cramp buster would cause this problem, I am all ears. I have one on my 2012RTS, sure would hate to think it would cause throttle body problems......
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Olddood View Post
    Sorry to hear you're having problems.....Up here in Canada, the throttle body is in the range of $900.00 plus dollars (doesn't include R & R) Good luck with your dealer....Ride Safe

That is crazy. I've bought custom built polished billet throttle bodies for cars before that were under $700, I wonder why these would cost so much?

i wonder if Bobs Gremlin bell was full?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nope; no cramp buster...
    The dealer said that he can fit me up there anytime this week to try and give it a jumpstart with some BUDS...
    And no extended warranty either!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post
    I know you prefaced your comment with "crazy", but if someone can actually give me a reason why a cramp buster would cause this problem, I am all ears. I have one on my 2012RTS, sure would hate to think it would cause throttle body problems......
    why would you need a cramp buster on a RT period? thats what cruise control is for!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your TB issues. You had that before and it was fixed under warranty--right? I am also running a 2010 with about 10 K more miles on it than yours--35K--and so far its on the original TB.

Close to $1K to fix something like that is harboring on my favorite rant subject. Might there be a "new" RT in your future--now that you have the current one "nicely" farkled?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    why would you need a cramp buster on a RT period? thats what cruise control is for!!!!!
    I would have agreed with you until my last long ride. Wrist got very sore and I used cruise control quite a bit. It seems the grips are a little small for my hands. Cramp buster has turned out to be a very inexpensive but effective fix. Ever try one?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

Nope; no cramp buster...
    The dealer said that he can fit me up there anytime this week to try and give it a jumpstart with some BUDS...
    And no extended warranty either!

I hope it turns out to be something much simpler than we all think!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The original Throttle body system was replace in June, 2012; I'm pretty sure that whatever warranty was on the warranteed parts has died of old age by now...
    I actually run a cramp-buster on the left grip to help out with numb hands while riding...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    It's too bad you are up against a deadline.
    I think since the original was replaced you might be able to make some sort of deal but it would probably take a lot more time than you have.
    I was thinking the same thing. It's not like they don't know they have issues.

Spyder Garage

Default Sad news..!!

was really hoping it would pass with a reset. Time being an issue makes it a hard decision. Hope you find a viable solution. Good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Now I'm glad I got the extended warranty