Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    As near as I can tell it will but your dealer can say for sure.

Do you know if there is any adjustments (fore/aft) on that backrest?
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjockey View Post
    I don't think that is in very good taste......show a little respect!

That's your opinion. Am I not entitled to my own?

Just calling a spade a spade.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Wow! Hostility! I'm sorry you feel neglected. As my Mom used to tell me: Go outside and eat worms.

Maybe BRP decided to serve the market segment with the most money first. Or the RT has a larger margin. Who knows.

That's what I was referring to when I noted: I understand where their market dominance is.... It's NOT with Sport Riders.

It's hardly hostility. It's disappointment.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Demographics

Just working from memory, I remember seeing the demographics of Spyder buyers. Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe the number one buyer group was age 50-60, number 2 was 60-70, number 3 was 70-80, number 4 was 40-50, number 5 was 30-40. I hope I got that right, maybe someone can confirm or correct this, maybe I have number 3 and 4 backwards. Point was, the Spyder buyer has turned out to be more mature and financially sound than originally predicted. An OEM builds what they can sell, so the model offerings will follow what the market is willing to buy.

With the population of RT units so much higher than RS/ST units it only stands to reason that the RT would be the segment to get the new engine, and it is in year seven of Spyder production that this occurs. Back in 2007 we were asking for a bigger engine, for those that were riding Spyders back in the beginning likely remember that original impression. Some things take time.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Do you know if there is any adjustments (fore/aft) on that backrest?
    When we were told about them they were not adjustable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Paisley View Post
    That's what I was referring to when I noted: I understand where their market dominance is.... It's NOT with Sport Riders.

But who knows what tomorrow will bring for the RS?

The Triple might not fit undeath that bodywork...
    The new cooling system, the new charging system; this stuff might all just take up more space than the RS had under it's skirts...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Made me look too!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    Just working from memory, I remember seeing the demographics of Spyder buyers. Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe the number one buyer group was age 50-60, number 2 was 60-70, number 3 was 70-80, number 4 was 40-50, number 5 was 30-40. I hope I got that right, maybe someone can confirm or correct this, maybe I have number 3 and 4 backwards. Point was, the Spyder buyer has turned out to be more mature and financially sound than originally predicted. An OEM builds what they can sell, so the model offerings will follow what the market is willing to buy.

With the population of RT units so much higher than RS/ST units it only stands to reason that the RT would be the segment to get the new engine, and it is in year seven of Spyder production that this occurs. Back in 2007 we were asking for a bigger engine, for those that were riding Spyders back in the beginning likely remember that original impression. Some things take time.

That sounds about right. When we last had a poll here, the results were very similar.

I agree that due to the price point and marketing, the Spyder demographic is older.
    As a stock holder and Spyder owner, I openly express my disappointment based on my "RSS Ownership" and the current focus of their efforts.

Again, I LOVE my Spyder. I just wish BRP would give the sportier group some attention.

Sorry if I offend anyone.

D

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But who knows what tomorrow will bring for the RS?

The Triple might not fit undeath that bodywork...
    The new cooling system, the new charging system; this stuff might all just take up more space than the RS had under it's skirts...

Bob, I get excited each year. Each year, I am let down.

I 100% FULLY expect another ST/RT focus for 2015.
    BRP is certainly making more $ from their older RT/ST demo. No surprise there.
    I do not expect any focus to be made towards a model that is not as "Popular" as the other.

This, although true; sucks!

Spyder Garage

That sounds about right. When we last had a poll here, the results were very similar.

I agree that due to the price point and marketing, the Spyder demographic is older.
    As a stock holder and Spyder owner, I openly express my disappointment based on my "RSS Ownership" and the current focus of their efforts.

Again, I LOVE my Spyder. I just wish BRP would give the sportier group some attention.

Sorry if I offend anyone.

D
    It's not just you, Bro! I just finished looking over the '14 RSS..............................what a snooze fest. Made me glad I bought a '12. Maybe next year? 200+ RWHP, defeatable traction control, VSS, and ABS, 16" wheels/appropriately sized brakes/calipers, 125lbs less blubber!
    Last edited by Flanker; 09-16-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, I get excited each year. Each year, I am let down.

I 100% FULLY expect another ST/RT focus for 2015.
    BRP is certainly making more $ from their older RT/ST demo. No surprise there.
    I do not expect any focus to be made towards a model that is not as "Popular" as the other.

This, although true; sucks!
    But calling us, "Over the Hill"?? That was cold...

I honestly think that 2015 will get nothing but BNGs for the RT...
    I think that if any more kinks show up in the ST's armor; they MIGHT need a bit of a lick and some polish...
    The RS has soldiered on without complaints for several years; it's "Day in the Sun" is coming much quicker than you think!

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For me this is both good news and bad news. Since I just bought my 2013 RS-S on July 1st I'm glad the bike and motor is not already outdated. But on the other hand I'm already wishing the bike had more power. I guess over all I dodged a bullet when I purchased the 2013 halfway through the year.
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Over the hill as is +50 is not old (nor useless), just a identifiable demographic that BRP Focuses on.

As noted, I didn't intend on offending any of the seniors. :>

Spyder Garage

some of you may feel neglected, and that is reasonable

but as an RT owner, and omeone who goes on some long trips, I am delighted that they finally realized that the RT, given its function and purpose, and as others have stated in this thread, it needed improvements

now, we can stop screaming our engines on the interstate, we can ride longer between gas stations, we have get the power needed to haul heavier loads (whether it be riding 2 up or hauling a trailer behind us)

for those that feel neglected, you can rest assured that you will get upgrades, not just right now... but you know they will come
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Default just my 2 cents

Since everyone seems to be chiming in, I figured I would also. What no RED??? Just got my '13 RT last June - and I love it. In the shop for right hand module replacement (cruise control issue)and recent recall. Aside from 600 mile service and having them install some of my farkels, that's been it. And I'll say it again, no RED for '14?? So if you're out there wondering what to do and you want RED, better grab a '13, you wont regret it.
    Oh, my demographic is 74+ single retired guy, just the kid of buyer BRP must be looking for.
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Spyder Garage

Default The 2014 Colors

Why the colors on the 2014 RTs? There is no need for jazzy colors on the 2014s. They just gave you a new engine and new tranny, so that alone is enough to get many to step up. An OEM usually saves the color "card" for later years in a model's lifetime to entice more buyers. For 2014, they go back to basic colors and rely on the new technology to be the reason to jump in. They will likely sell about as many 2014 RTs as they can build the way it is, so they can save the color crowd for next year, and the next.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

The backrest is fugly. I will keep my Utopia it is adjustable up and down forward and back. If they get the heat issue solved on my '13 (or I do) I will not be looking for a '14 based on my own experience. Who wants to be a beta tester? Sure on paper it has some nice improvements but I have already been reading about inline 3 cylinder failure issues so I will let someone else run 50k + miles on one for me. Wife already told me I could get one and I said not yet.... I assume the frame/geometry changes to the 13 were in prep for the 14 is there any other changes to it Lamonster? I did not see a list of colors could someone post them but I would go with HHR Orange myself ( I had an Orange HHR loved it).
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    may be time for traddein / trade up

Cognac here I come.....
    I can't decide if Cognac is cool or cradle gravy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cognac!
    (I may even have to buy a bottle of it to toast the new bike!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is good progress.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    The backrest is fugly. I will keep my Utopia it is adjustable up and down forward and back. If they get the heat issue solved on my '13 (or I do) I will not be looking for a '14 based on my own experience. Who wants to be a beta tester? Sure on paper it has some nice improvements but I have already been reading about inline 3 cylinder failure issues so I will let someone else run 50k + miles on one for me. Wife already told me I could get one and I said not yet.... I assume the frame/geometry changes to the 13 were in prep for the 14 is there any other changes to it Lamonster? I did not see a list of colors could someone post them but I would go with HHR Orange myself ( I had an Orange HHR loved it).
    I guess you must have since you bought a 2013.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default I'm impressed

Seems to me that the improvements outweigh the shortcomings. Color can be changed; back rests can be changed; but a 6th gear and another cylinder can not!

When all is said and done......well it must be time to ride~
    2 Stricklands, Steve & Barb
    2011 RT AC, SE5
    Trailer for Travel and/or Golf Clubs
    Power outlet up Front
    Floorboards
    Voltmeter replacing old gas gauge
    Oil Pressure gauge replacing old temp gauge
    Turn Signals on mirrors

]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I guess you must have since you bought a 2013.
    You got me on that one how about burn me once shame on you burn me twice shame on me Seriously I could have bought a '12 RTS or my '13 RT but got convinced by the dealer the changes were worth it on the '13. You know what I think of my dealer now don't ya?
    Last edited by Magdave; 09-16-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While I can appreciate the improvements with the RT for the long distance touring crowd BRP has totally alienated the sport riders that ride Spyders for 2014. Age doesn't have as much to do with it as just preferred riding style...

BRP: Hint Hint...some of your RS riders are over the age of 50 and they all don't want RT's... Maybe give us a software upgrade to unleash some of that Aprilia HP. We don't need a low rpm high torque triple. we are not towing anything.

I know for sure that nobody I know with an RS/GS is going to upgrade to a newer 2014 RS with the new "improvements" that have been released.

Spyder Garage

Sounded like hostile disappointment to me.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)