Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ST Heat Fixed?

Lamont - were u able to drive a ST, I'm curious about the heat? I took my 3 wheel class this weekend and I could feel the heat coming off the Spyder and it was a relatively cool day in N.VA. Good news is I passed my class. Bad news is I am torn on the 2013 / 2014 so I may have to wait for some time before I can actually ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    I might be able to hold off a while if they don't offer a blue one. Can't help it, I like blue.
    Yep, my wife and I agree, we will wait for blue....
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    22,999 for the base RT is what I,m thinking!! By next Nov it will be 20,000 ???

BRP has had 1500cc Triples inside JetSki Hulls for 11 Years from 155-260 HP with NO 3 Cylinder problems!!!
    Very true but those motors are all cooled using lake water which the spyder should not use..lol
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well, I'm just hoping the RS-S upgrades swap to the older models, as i've stated in my posts, because i'll be at the can am parts desk ordering them. I really like those improved body panels, they are a nice addition to a part of the spyder i thought was way too streamlined and not agressive enough.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Now I know how the guys who bought 2006 H-D Touring models felt when the '07s came out with a bigger engine and 6 speed transmission.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Default ST side panels

Quote Originally Posted by ViperWolf View Post
    Is it true that the new models will be available much sooner than prior new model year Spyders?

Hey old dog, where did you read that the new side panels will fit on the 13 models?

Thanx!
    Look at picture number 35 of 70 in the 2014 lineup. If I'm reading it correctly, it says the new 2014 ST side panels will fit all Years of ST's meaning it includes the 2013, I think.

Spyder Garage

My comments on the new 2014 line is that I am impressed with the news about the new RT. I have been wanting a bigger engine since day one when I purchased a premier edition (#474) in 2010.

The bigger engine, and the promise of longer range, lower shifting rpm's, better cooling technology, and revised maintainence schedules have once again got my thoughts going.

I am glad the bigger engine is sooner rather than later. My thoughts were that I may be driving my final 's because there was no reason to make any changes. NOW--they have opened up a whole new scenario. Will I be one of the few that can say they have owned five different 's?????? Time will tell.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now we will have tons of threads on how people just can't get used to shifting at such low rpms. I personally hate those little upshift indicator lights.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thedonva View Post
    Lamont - were u able to drive a ST, I'm curious about the heat? I took my 3 wheel class this weekend and I could feel the heat coming off the Spyder and it was a relatively cool day in N.VA. Good news is I passed my class. Bad news is I am torn on the 2013 / 2014 so I may have to wait for some time before I can actually ride.
    I did not drive the 2014 ST. I know the new side panels should really help with the heat and they will fit on the 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    One of the reasons I purchased a 2012 was the lava bronze, I love the lava color. It would be very hard to give that up, but 6 speed, 1330 engine may be too much to not upgrade. Can you confirm with the SE6, we no longer have to worry about engine damage shifting too early. If that's the case I'm sold. Can see me in one of these next spring.

harry
    Yes I can confirm. They even have a helper if you're not sure when to shift.

Spyder Garage

Lamont asked back on 9/4 "So what would make you trade up to a 2014?

"My answer: A more powerful, quieter engine would make me look at it. Lower RPM's & Better gas milage wouldn't hurt. That would qualify as amazing IMO."

So, i would say that the new RT looks to be pretty amazing. I will def. test drive one when available to do so. I want a more relaxed ride so the sound/rpm's will make a diference for sure for me. My 2011 is perfect with no issues, but at 6-7000 rpm's I dont feel it is relaxing for a tourer.

So, bigger quieter engine, lower RPM's, less maintenance, bigger fuel tank and better gas
    milage, better cooling system.....Assuming everything works as planned, cudos to BRP for the 2014 RT. I would say they are listening.

The rest of the line, well...i guess in due time.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Now we will have tons of threads on how people just can't get used to shifting at such low rpms. I personally hate those little upshift indicator lights.
    If you're talking about the 2014, that can be turned off. It's an option.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post

"My answer: A more powerful, quieter engine would make me look at it. Lower RPM's & Better gas milage wouldn't hurt. That would qualify as amazing IMO."

So, i would say that the new RT looks to be pretty amazing. I will def. test drive one when available to do so. I want a more relaxed ride so the sound/rpm's will make a diference for sure for me. My 2011 is perfect with no issues, but at 6-7000 rpm's I dont feel it is relaxing for a tourer.

So, bigger quieter engine, lower RPM's, less maintenance, bigger fuel tank and better gas
    milage, better cooling system.....Assuming everything works as planned, cudos to BRP for the 2014 RT. I would say they are listening.

The rest of the line, well...i guess in due time.
    Fred and I were getting a consistent 38 mpg on a motor that wasn't broke in yet.

Spyder Garage

where would you put the sound level at Lamont...say between the current spyder and a wing.

Will anything from a 2011 be transferable?? Say a seat, elkas? This is a totally new frame i assume for the wider motor?

and thans for supply all the info
    j
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

"My answer: a 6th gear......
    cant wait to test drive one
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

where would you put the sound level at Lamont...say between the current spyder and a wing.

Will anything from a 2011 be transferable?? Say a seat, elkas? This is a totally new frame i assume for the wider motor?

and thans for supply all the info
    j
    The frame and pretty much everything else is the same, just the motor has been changed. The sound is not like a Wing and not like the current Spyder. It sounds smooth but not something you're going to impress your friends with revving the motor, at least not with the stock pipes.

Spyder Garage

Default Great machine but what about fixing the 2013

I think it's great that they've made the improvements to the 2014 model to eliminate the heat issues but, what are they going to do to fix the 2013 model?

I'm new to the spyders, purchased mine in February, and absolutely love to ride it. However, the heat coming out between the seat and glove box and the right foot is unbearable on long rides. BRP needs to address this some how. The boiling gas and vapors that fill the garage after a ride are a safety concern. We as owners should not be required to make modifications to or buy aftermarket parts to correct an engineering mistake.

Is it time to seek legal advice? Will BRP step up and correct this model or did they just take our money and run!!!

I don't mean to be so harsh but for the money we paid for these machines, we shouldn't have to go through is.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Am I reading correctly that the 1330 ACE motor is bran-spanking' new? Not something used on any other platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Lamont, How will this new engine be to work on? Are things like the spark plugs, air filter, oil filters etc more accessible? How about checking the oil? thanks
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

another disappointing model year. i suppose potential rt buyer might be delighted with 6th gear and new engine.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Really glad they're stepping up on the engine, but personally can't justify the jump from my 2012 RT.

Now if they come out with an ST with this engine..... giddy up!

Can't wait to try one live and in person... I'm sure we'll have plenty of them at Spyderfest to try.

Love the orange or whatever they're calling it.

Hope they have all the quirks worked out for such a new model..... I'll be waiting a few years.....

Great job BRP.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Well, I will be calling my dealer tomorrow morning. Don't know when they'll be in the showroom, but I'll want a test drive as soon as they arrive.

Now, the only question I have is, will the connections for a 2011 trailer work on a 2014 RT?

My wife and I have already decided we'll be buying a 2014 unless something catastrophic happens to the 2014s in the meantime...
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Lamont, How will this new engine be to work on? Are things like the spark plugs, air filter, oil filters etc more accessible? How about checking the oil? thanks
    I'm not sure yet but I do know that you lift the seat and the dipstick is on the right side.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post
    Yep, my wife and I agree, we will wait for blue....
    I also cannot understand why there is no more BLUE Version ..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lamont, how does the handling compare to the 2013? I'm very excited about the changes and like Firefly, I sure hope that they get it right this time.

It will certainly be nice not to be the one that has to find a gas station first. I'm sure I will still stop around 125 miles anyway when I'm on a trip but it will be great around town to go longer between fill ups. Sounds like there will be fewer missing tupperware pieces with the oil check being under the seat. And I give BRP for making the color choices available across the different models, the longer interval on maintenance, the improved radiators and the bigger engine. And I'll have more cc's than my hubby
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Rotax builds the engines: Bombardier (now BRP), builds the toys...
    That's the way that it's worked for about fifty years.
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats