Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

As a fellow RS rider I would love to see a power plant improvement also. I don't think a inline 3 is that special but the new V4 Aprilia has coming maybe little bit more to our RSS nature. A six gear and a little better gear ratio for higher top speed would be nice. Nothing against the RT owners and crowd but it's not for me, I'll be 75 years old and still won't be for me. Nothing against the bike but I've always been a sport type rider and always will be.

Cut Derek Paisley some slack sound like disappointment only sure was not disrespecting anyone.

Spyder Garage

Wooooooowwwww.........I am SO GLAD I did not jump the gun and buy an RT! I knew I should wait for the 14's just to be sure and that has paid off BIG TIME!!

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

Here's where you check your oil on the 2014 RT

Spyder Garage

Nice Lamont! Man my mind is going 100mph right now. Haha

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    I guess if you like the RT this was a good model release but I'm not impressed. You couldn't pay me to ryde an RT new or old. Also when is BRP going to give the owner more control over the electronics? So I don't think I'll be back on 3 three wheels anytime soon.
    Just what is it about an RT that you detest so much that you wouldn't be paid to ride one?
    Have you ever ridden one?
    I guess I don't really understand your position on the RT considering all the mods you did to your orange Spyder to essentially make it into an RT...... That was my deciding point when I switched from my GS to an RT.... I had added thousands of $$$$ to that ride to make it more RT like... before the RT ever came out. The RT already had 95% of what I would do to an RS done already.

With the 2014 changes... they have made the RT line a serious touring bike. I won't be jumping ship just yet... but I will eventually have two Spyders in my collection... a touring one and a sport.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Lots of disappointment by some here... Some perhaps understandable.

Some thoughts though...

- I am an experienced GS rider and those that know me know that I can ride the GS at her limits. That said, I had a hell of a time keeping up with an RT in the twisties ridden by another experienced and mostly fearless rider. Part of it was tires, but still... I was impressed. Do I want more performance on an RS/ST? Yes, but in the twisties, it all comes down to the ryder.

- Colors? If you don't like the factory colors, just get the 2014 painted the way you like. Simple solution. Yes it costs $$$.

As this announcement has marinated with me over the last 16 hours or so, I am truly impressed with that they sought to achieve with the RT. I thought the 2013's were the evolution of the platform and to a degree I was right. I also assumed the new 2013 frame and design was done with the purpose of incorporating a stronger motor. This announcement however is the true evolution of the Spyder and specifically the RT. For those wanting an RT, I'm betting it will be a long lived platform from a design perspective, and a safe investment.

For those of us still riding our GS/RS, this is a great sign of nothing but good things to come to the RS and ST platforms. Now I'm even more antsy for September 2014 announcements as I feel I'm up against the wall at that point in deciding to go back to two wheels for a bit or hop on a new spyder. BRP gives me an ST with the same thought behind the design enhancements and motor, I'll be the first to buy one.

Kudos to BRP... I'm not an RT guy, but this announcement is truly impressive.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    MXZ600 might be better able to answeer this; but I think that they've been using a version of this engine in their sleds for a while now...
    I think!
    In the 4 stroke line up Ski Doo is using a Rotax 600 ACE (60 hp) and 900 ACE (90 hp), and a 1200 (about 135 hp) 4-Tec. The 900 ACE is new this year for the 2014 sleds, and the 600 and 1200 have been around for a few years. From what I have learned about the 600 and 900 ACE, I feel this will be a great move to use this technology in the Spyder.

Here is a link to some more info:

http://www.ski-doo.com/technologies/...gies/4-strokes

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am super excited about the new lineup and can't wait to get one. Of course I am a little bit apprehensive about how well these have been tested and if they will be reliable or not. I think BRP did an excellent job in addressing a lot of our wishes like longer range, bigger engine and less required maintenance. And I am happy about the colors. So if I could just get some final resolution on my 2013 I'll be ready to make a down payment on my new white RTS-SM6.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Put a 2 bros muffler on

Quote Originally Posted by Orange monster View Post
    For me this is both good news and bad news. Since I just bought my 2013 RS-S on July 1st I'm glad the bike and motor is not already outdated. But on the other hand I'm already wishing the bike had more power. I guess over all I dodged a bullet when I purchased the 2013 halfway through the year.
    A suggestion: Remove Cat, put on Y bypass exhaust pipes, put on 2 Bros muffler; noticeable increased torque about 4 ft# & about 7 hp at upper rpms.
    Put #9 Iridium sparkplugs in #2 cylinder & #1 too) (#9 sparkplug is a cooler running plug), leave stock air filter in & you should not need a Power Commander fuel mod.
    Enjoy. The RS-S are hot rods!!
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK REV 800 X View Post
    In the 4 stroke line up Ski Doo is using a Rotax 600 ACE (60 hp) and 900 ACE (90 hp), and a 1200 (about 135 hp) 4-Tec. The 900 ACE is new this year for the 2014 sleds, and the 600 and 1200 have been around for a few years. From what I have learned about the 600 and 900 ACE, I feel this will be a great move to use this technology in the Spyder.

Yeah.. I believe the 600 ACE is what they were using in the Hybrid Spyder prototype.. they've been working on this for a few years. Rotax is well known for making great engines. You hear of very little engine complaints from owners.

Thinking about the changes to the 2014 more..... I wonder if they ever considered going shaft drive? That might have increased the price another 1K... but many would like that option I'm sure.

Spyder Garage

OMG, I want one........but not unless I can have another RED!
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I love what I am seeing but I usually will not buy the first model year of anything. However, kudos to anyone who does. That motor sounds exactly like what I want.

I anxiously await those who do purchase to see what their experience is. Having fixed the heat issue and longer distance is a major plus.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK REV 800 X View Post

The 1330 is based upon the 1200, with some of the ACE DNA up in the top end...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

While I appreciate we all have our opinions, and the more the merrier, the *one* opinion I can't quite understand is the push by some to have the Nanny removed, "defeatable VSS", control over the electronics, etc.

I can count on one hand the number of times where I tripped the Nanny and I felt like it was unfair. Actually, I don't even think I can count those times-- I don't recall there being any, but surely there was one or another.

Again, once you upgrade your shocks, anti-sway bar, pump up your tires, you've expanded your envelope tremendously. I've also found that having a different seating position on the RS (with risers and floorboards) also allowed me to better posture myself in corners than the "sportbike" slope that comes with the stock RS.

Add all those changes and a few years of Spyder riding experience on crazy twisties at extra-legal speeds, and I *never* find the Nanny intrusive. It simply does not come on for me, unless I screw up. If I'm in a corner hot enough to trip the Nanny, I *need* the Nanny.

Honestly, the only time I recall the Nanny going nutzo on me was, wonderfully enough, was riding two-up down in Maggie Valley, especially on the Dragon. But hey, *I was on the Dragon*, and I was *two-up*, neither exactly normal operating conditions. And, again, every time the Nanny kicked in, it was because I needed it.

And, once it was predictable of *when* the Nanny would kick in, I just used it to my advantage-- you can do this, you know. I timed my corners better, and even used the Nanny like a "bumper" in some corners (i.e., once I knew when and where the traction control would kick in, I actually went out of my way to trip the Nanny in certain corners, knowing that I could ride it flat-out but the Nanny would help me steer around certain points).

Maybe I'm wrong in my impression, but I admit, I *do have* this impression: people who want the Nanny gone are mistaken in thinking that a Spyder without electronics will handle like a two-wheel motorcycle (hint: it won't-- it'll handle like a 700+ lb death-machine trike), or just aren't embracing the many, MANY ways there are to avoid being limited in any way by the electronics (mods, riding style, etc.).

Or, maybe, they just want to do burnouts. Oh well, sorry, you don't get to do burnouts on your $18,000++ bikes.

P.S. This may all be completely moot on the RS, BTW-- if the VSS was modified on the 2014 RS in a way that relaxes its stock intrusiveness, there may not be any issues at all, *especially* if/when/once you modify an RS with better shocks, sway bar, etc. I, for one, look forward to riding the 2014 model to see if the handling is improved in that regard.
    Last edited by daveinva; 09-16-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question A Question for Lamont, or anyone in the know

Curious if anyone knows yet since there is the new 3 Cylinder Engine with greater torque throughout the power-band, & they've already beefed up the brakes with adding the Brembos to the '13s, will this equate to the 2014s having a greater towing capacity &/or tongue weight over that of the previous generations at 40/400 pounds

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    While I appreciate we all have our opinions, and the more the merrier, the *one* opinion I can't quite understand is the push by some to have the Nanny removed, "defeatable VSS", control over the electronics, etc.

I can count on one hand the number of times where I tripped the Nanny and I felt like it was unfair. Actually, I don't even think I can count those times-- I don't recall there being any, but surely there was one or another.

Again, once you upgrade your shocks, anti-sway bar, pump up your tires, you've expanded your envelope tremendously. I've also found that having a different seating position on the RS (with risers and floorboards) also allowed me to better posture myself in corners than the "sportbike" slope that comes with the stock RS.

Add all those changes and a few years of Spyder riding experience on crazy twisties at extra-legal speeds, and I *never* find the Nanny intrusive. It simply does not come on for me, unless I screw up. If I'm in a corner hot enough to trip the Nanny, I *need* the Nanny.

Honestly, the only time I recall the Nanny going nutzo on me was, wonderfully enough, was riding two-up down in Maggie Valley, especially on the Dragon. But hey, *I was on the Dragon*, and I was *two-up*, neither exactly normal operating conditions. And, again, every time the Nanny kicked in, it was because I needed it.

And, once it was predictable of *when* the Nanny would kick in, I just used it to my advantage-- you can do this, you know. I timed my corners better, and even used the Nanny like a "bumper" in some corners (i.e., once I knew when and where the traction control would kick in, I actually went out of my way to trip the Nanny in certain corners, knowing that I could ride it flat-out but the Nanny would help me steer around certain points).

Maybe I'm wrong in my impression, but I admit, I *do have* this impression: people who want the Nanny gone are mistaken in thinking that a Spyder without electronics will handle like a two-wheel motorcycle (hint: it won't-- it'll handle like a 700+ lb death-machine trike), or just aren't embracing the many, MANY ways there are to avoid being limited in any way by the electronics (mods, riding style, etc.).

Or, maybe, they just want to do burnouts. Oh well, sorry, you don't get to do burnouts on your $18,000++ bikes.

P.S. This may all be completely moot on the RS, BTW-- if the VSS was modified on the 2014 RS in a way that relaxes its stock intrusiveness, there may not be any issues at all, *especially* if/when/once you modify an RS with better shocks, sway bar, etc. I, for one, look forward to riding the 2014 model to see if the handling is improved in that regard.

I generally think the nanny works pretty well and can actually 'teach' you how to ride better.... BUT.... it ticks me off turning out of a driveway going like 10-15 mph and you hammer it and there is hesitation.... I'd love for the nanny to not be so sensitive until like 40 mph.. adjustable like they've done with some of the off-road vehicles. It's just a bit embarrassing to not be able to drop some rubber when turning a slow corner.....;-)

Spyder Garage

Default 1300 in the RS or ST?

Any word from BRP if they plan on making the new engine available on the RS or ST?

Spyder Garage

I looked and not sure I saw this question the new 6 speed transmission is there a manual available or are they all push button shift?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mettlerk View Post
    I think it's great that they've made the improvements to the 2014 model to eliminate the heat issues but, what are they going to do to fix the 2013 model?

I'm new to the spyders, purchased mine in February, and absolutely love to ride it. However, the heat coming out between the seat and glove box and the right foot is unbearable on long rides. BRP needs to address this some how. The boiling gas and vapors that fill the garage after a ride are a safety concern. We as owners should not be required to make modifications to or buy aftermarket parts to correct an engineering mistake.

Is it time to seek legal advice? Will BRP step up and correct this model or did they just take our money and run!!!

I don't mean to be so harsh but for the money we paid for these machines, we shouldn't have to go through is.
    The comment about new side panels to help alleviate the heat issues--with retroactive fit to 2013's is a good start.

My thought is that this should be a "freebie" to all 2013 owners that feel they need them. It would be a good gesture for BRP to save some face in this ongoing saga. I am gung ho over the new 2014 RT's--but also in the back of my mind are the many issues happening to those who ventured out into the unknown when purchasing the upgraded 2013's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Any word from BRP if they plan on making the new engine available on the RS or ST?
    Not this year ... Sorry!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Paisley View Post
    That's your opinion. Am I not entitled to my own?

Just calling a spade a spade.
    Maybe without so much acid.

It'll be interesting to see how you feel when you hit the demographic...

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

And here is the link to BRP's line up

http://spyder.brp.com/files/en-US/Im...014_Spyder.pdf

Only white and black for the RT guess I won't be getting one soon. I don't need the additional options or cost for the RTS or RTL. If Orange was an RT color I might have thought about it a little more.
    Last edited by Magdave; 09-16-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

better gas mileage,more power and the heat is under control, nice.
    Homer Hill

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    I looked and not sure I saw this question the new 6 speed transmission is there a manual available or are they all push button shift?

Yes there is a manual.

See updated first post.

Spyder Garage

Have to admit, I like what they have done to the '14. Good luck to all of you that jump in. When buying my RT, I thought BRP had "probably" tested the 2013s, too. Turned out, we, the buyers, were the "testers"! Hope, going forward, BRP does the tests and we just do the riding. Best wishes and give us plenty of feedback!