Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered Users EnjoyingTheRyde's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Chatter noise when taking off...

I'm hearing a chattering/ratcheting noise a when taking off. It's happening in both 1st and reverse gears and sounds like it's on the right side around the area of the floor boards. I brought it to the shop and they said they couldn't duplicate it so I duplicated it for them. They've had some difficulty with diagnosing and brought BRP in. They ended up saying they were going to replace the clutch pack. It was supposed to be ready late yesterday but I still have not heard from them as of closing time today. I'm thinking the clutch pack didn't fix it.

2013 ST Limited with the SE5 and 4000 miles... Any thoughts?
    His: 2012 HD Tri Glide Ember Red/Merlot
    Hers: 2012 Can Am Spyder
    RT-S Quantum Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

seems the clutch would make that noise in all gears. Sounds more like something to do with the gear. First and reverse are the same gear. Will be interesting to see what they find. Let us know when you find out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    seems the clutch would make that noise in all gears. Sounds more like something to do with the gear. First and reverse are the same gear. Will be interesting to see what they find. Let us know when you find out...
    Well Chupaca, sounds like you may have been correct. My wife went to get my ST-L today while I'm at work and it's still making the same noise, not as bad but it is. And to add to it, now it's not shifting properly. At one point, she put it in reverse, the indicator light came on but it didn't move. She had to rock it back and forth for it to actually shift. I won't get a chance to actually check it out myself until tomorrow night when I get home from work. I called the dealer and they are sending their truck and trailer over to pick it up Monday morning. I've had 4000 trouble free, fun miles and I'm sure they'll figure it out but it's getting a little frustrating. Our ryding season in Maine will soon be...................... I don't even want to say it.

They did the recall and my second service while they had it. I'll keep you all posted as to what happens next.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Same here

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyingTheRyde View Post
    I'm hearing a chattering/ratcheting noise a when taking off. It's happening in both 1st and reverse gears and sounds like it's on the right side around the area of the floor boards. I brought it to the shop and they said they couldn't duplicate it so I duplicated it for them. They've had some difficulty with diagnosing and brought BRP in. They ended up saying they were going to replace the clutch pack. It was supposed to be ready late yesterday but I still have not heard from them as of closing time today. I'm thinking the clutch pack didn't fix it.

2013 ST Limited with the SE5 and 4000 miles... Any thoughts?
    I have the same issue with my 2013 ST-S....

Spyder Garage

I have the same issue as described... however I'm right at the oil change mileage and I'm thinking nice fresh oil will clear it up. Or... hoping... praying?
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the same issue and with 10,000 miles and 3 oil changes no difference take off and reverse....it clatters and shakes....mine is in the shop

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I have the same issue and with 10,000 miles and 3 oil changes no difference take off and reverse....it clatters and shakes....mine is in the shop
    Well that's not good to hear...

Spyder Garage

Please keep us posted, I'll do the same. Mine is in the shop also. I think I mentioned they replaced the clutch pack, the chattering isn't as prevalent but it's still there. Went to visit the shop yesterday to find out what their plan is but the mechanic has Tuesday off. They said they would call me today.

flamingobabe, has yours done this since new?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would be nice if it just needed new oil filter and oil change will fix the issue. Let us know.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

yes ...mine has clattered and shock since I had it...thought it was just me.....mine is in the shop.....we'll see what they do to fix it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My 13 RS-S makes a shuddering sound if I take off when the engine is still cold but after that its fine. Hope its not a sign of bad things to come.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default chatter

My 2013 STL also does some chattering when it is cold but seems to go away after it warms up i have 4,000 miles on it. I just thought maybe it was the belt but now i know this could be something much worse thanks for the heads up everyone maybe i will call the shop and talk to them tomorrow since it is in for the recall work and tail lights not working and have them take a look at that as well

Spyder Garage

Default Chatter noise when taking off...

Their willbe a soft ware update soon. To fix 13rts on this.per brp most all 13 have this . Stay tune will let you know when it comes out...

Spyder Garage

Default mine will be in the shop tomorrow

since mine is going to the shop, i will also tell them about this issue see if they know anything of it and if so to correct it, and any other issues they might fine or know of.

and yes keep us informed if there is a BUD update... thanks.
    Rick11Flor practicing for retirement. Everyday is a new day and I try to live it to the max.
    We (DW and I) travel to distant lands three or more months per year now looking for a Outlaw to take the Spyder along.

Spyder Garage

Per Steve BRP their will be a fix? Time wise ? Soon they say? But will help on heat and all outher great things going on the 13 . Shure will keep all up dated when ready for the Buds.. Ride safe all this weekend.........

Spyder Garage

Default Please enlighten me...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacetrucker View Post
    Their willbe a soft ware update soon. To fix 13rts on this.per brp most all 13 have this . Stay tune will let you know when it comes out...
    I'm not computer savvy, and I don't know the inner workings of our Spyders, but how will a software update help something that sounds so mechanical? What is the issue here? What is actually happening at take off when you first twist the throttle? I'm sorry for being numb but I'm going to visit my dealer today and since it's been in three times for this I'd like to pass along any info I can. Also, who is Steve at BRP?

I want my ryde back...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spacetrucker View Post
    waiting.....this is the 2nd time I have heard this......I quit riding my bike August 26...per BRP request...hope BRP gets these 2013's fixed soon....I'm crazy with not riding...my clatters and shakes on take off and reverse...stalls and/or leaps...hot or cold.....etc
    Last edited by flamingobabe; 09-20-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

First thanks for this thread. I got just over 5000 on my 2013 and although some of you have said that the shuttering happens when it is cold mine seems to do it when it is hot, I shut down for a short stop, and then when I start up to take off it shutters and in some cases stalls. I am headed in on Monday for the recall and am going to bring it up to the service Dept, since the stalling seems to be getting worse. I was hoping the 4600 service would identify the issue but when they hooked it up the dealer said all was good. I will update like everyone else if I hear something on what the cause or fix is.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    First thanks for this thread. I got just over 5000 on my 2013 and although some of you have said that the shuttering happens when it is cold mine seems to do it when it is hot, I shut down for a short stop, and then when I start up to take off it shutters and in some cases stalls. I am headed in on Monday for the recall and am going to bring it up to the service Dept, since the stalling seems to be getting worse. I was hoping the 4600 service would identify the issue but when they hooked it up the dealer said all was good. I will update like everyone else if I hear something on what the cause or fix is.
    Mine also did this once, and only when it was hot. Told the service writer at the dealer about it when it was in for purge valve replacement. Since it only happened once he blew it off.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I still ride my 13 with all of this trouble. But I will not stop riding it until some one at brp fix or updates buds. But like I said, their is a up date for the buds system to help on heat and chad in trans . Lot of dealers do not call to find out about up date? Why just to lazy to do it. That is way we have a great dealer here to help us out. They are great to have and deal with. They are Pro Caliber,in Longview, wa. Shawn is our tech , the greats one he is and he will call BRP and find what the hell is going on with your bike.. ... As of to day they have not said when but getting closer on sending out up date. So Standing by we are.... Ride safe all this weekend..........

Spyder Garage

waiting.....this is the 2nd time I have heard this......I quit riding my bike August 26...per BRP request...hope BRP gets these 2013's fixed soon....I'm crazy with not riding...my clatters and shakes on take off and reverse...stalls and/or leaps...hot or cold.....etc
    So did they give you something to ride while yours is being worked on and if not what do you plan to do about it
    Rick11Flor practicing for retirement. Everyday is a new day and I try to live it to the max.
    We (DW and I) travel to distant lands three or more months per year now looking for a Outlaw to take the Spyder along.

Spyder Garage

So they requested or advised you to stop riding your spyder that I assume is under warranty . Now this is going on a month of down time and they never offered you a loaner or anything?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick11Flor View Post
    So did they give you something to ride while yours is being worked on and if not what do you plan to do about it

scott16119 So they requested or advised you to stop riding your spyder that I assume is under warranty . Now this is going on a month of down time and they never offered you a loaner or anything?

To answer your questions...I do not have a loaner....my case worker said..."please do not ride your Spyder"....talked to dealer today and waiting for rain to go away...do a test ride...check off my list....then they will call.....what am I suppose to do....I have a hot 2013, $25k+ Spyder....I plan to do what ever BRP wants....I'm sure they say "oh $#!% it's Ms Baker again.......

Spyder Garage

I'm sure they say "oh $#!% it's Ms Baker again.......
    I hope they do Give em hell!

Spyder Garage

Default Went to my dealer yesterday...

They replaced the clutch pack and the chattering was still happening but much less prevalent. I stopped by again yesterday and the tech told me that he was 2mm off on the clutch install so he added a shim and is now waiting for o-rings/gaskets. Does this makes sense with an SE5? It should be ready Wednesday.