Spyder Garage

Default Couple Oil Questions...

Quite certain this has been asked lots on SpYdeRs Lovers lots but dont feel like searching right now, First what do you folks change your oil at, Im sure manual sais 5000km/3000miles. This is fine but been using synthetic In my Tundra but with that go too 8000km/5000M. Ive only had my ride since mid July and for the first one had the dealer do it (2008 Spyder). My plan was next time I will change it myself and this will be next year cause few months or less it will be parked for the winter. Had a DS 650 Quad and used to change that my self and cant see this being a whole lot different, less some tuper ware. From what I have found dropping the oil is easy but not sure about the filter. Fella at work said he seen my filter and its down low near the front of the machine. Is this correct. Sorry my question mark will not work something is hit on my keyboard. Im sure I could look In the manual but is the engine oil/Trans the same sump...Seems too me my quad was. Im in no hurry too change have only 2000km/1200miles since it was changed but just inquiring. Was looking on the net for easy vid or so but thought I would try on here, prob best bet......Thanks Doug

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YES THERE ARE VIDEO'S HERE

arntufun , Has done quite few helpful video's on various subjects ....changing oil and filters is one of them.....Do a search in the Advanced search box in the upper right corner........and NO the filter is not in the front ......it's on the left side of the engine at the bottom rear of the block......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Oil change..!!

is not that hard to do. If you have the se5 ( semi automatic) you have two filters. The sm5 (manual shift) has only one. If you get the oil change kits they come with everything you need, if not you will need the two crush washers for the two drain plugs. 1or 2 o-rings for the filter cap/s and the filters (engine and/or transmission) and at least four qts of oil. They have changed the oil change intervals now to 4,600 miles from the original 3,000. The procedure is in your manual...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

7 500 km for canadian Spyder owners with a semi-synthetic oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change Frequency

If you are using Amsoil 10W 40 Motorcycle the change interval is twice OEM recommended change interval

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Really!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Dog6 View Post
    If you are using Amsoil 10W 40 Motorcycle the change interval is twice OEM recommended change interval
    Not sure BRP would agree and honor warranty if the oil had not been changed for over 9000 miles and owner had an engine/tranny problem.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It's not smart to exceed manufacturer's recommendations while still under warranty.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a lot cheaper to cheaper to change your oil on recommended interval. Don't try to save a penny and spent a buck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input folks, will have a look Im sure theres some good vids availble. I didnt mention what my Spyder was Didnt think it matterd for them cause all the same engine. My machines a 08 GS and maunal tranny and off warranty long time ago. I agree not to be cheap with the oil just the stealer ship charged me I believe was $250 plus to do it. Im sure its one of those things I can do my self once educated and have done it once. 90 percent of my riding has and will be hiway so I know I can go furter If need be. Its not too save $$. I run AMSOIL In my DUSTER 340. And synthetic In my TUNDRA and they say can go 8000km/5000M between changes. Not sure If the Stealer ship uses synthetic or not have to check my recipt... D

Spyder Garage

I can really go 9,200 miles between oil changes with Amzoil and not effect my warranty? Can anyone actually confirm this is a fact?

Spyder Garage

I use brp oil and filters.Just picked up 4 quarts of brp oil in Devils lake ND this week for $48.00 icluding tax and picked up a filter at my dealer today for $17.50 including tax so my next oil change will be $65.50 I do it myself

Spyder Garage

Default Amsoil and extended drain intervals

Here is the explanation you are looking for.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=magnuson+moss

Quote Originally Posted by scott16119 View Post
    I can really go 9,200 miles between oil changes with Amzoil and not effect my warranty? Can anyone actually confirm this is a fact?

Spyder Garage

I would not do 9,000 miles oil change on a V-twin motorcycle engine. I'll go 5,000 to 6,500 if I had to, because I know people that tested Amsoil at 6,500+ miles and the test came back that the oil was still ok to use. It's like using less that 89 octane gas to save $0.15 a gallon. That's IMHO.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scott16119 View Post
    Before you get too excited by Bad Dog6's posts, remember he's an Amzoil dealer and stands to profit from your decision. Now I happen to think Amsoil is excellent motor oil, but extending your oil change intervals while under warranty is not a good idea. And here's a few things about Magnuson-Moss that you need to know:

- The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance. I'm confident BRP would treat 9,200 mile oil changes as a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance.

- Consumers may seek redress in the courts for alleged violations of the Magnuson-Moss Act. A consumer who has been injured by the noncompliance of a supplier may bring an action in federal court if the amount in controversy is over $25,000 or a class action if the number of class plaintiffs is greater than 100. If the jurisdictional amount, or number of plaintiffs, do not meet these thresholds, an action under the act may be brought only in state court. Moreover, one of the key aids to the effectiveness of the Act is that a prevailing plaintiff may recover reasonable costs of suit, including attorney fees. So, if BRP decides to void the warranty on your engine and transmission due to extended oil change intervals, you have to take them to court and prove their denial is unfair. Ask Bad Dog6 how many expert witnesses Amsoil will provide free of charge to assist you in the trial. Also, unless you managed to get a sample of the oil before the dealer dumped it in with the rest of his waste oil, it will be very difficult for you to prevail over the expert witnesses BRP will bring to the trial. So, you stand a pretty good chance of losing and your attorney fees and court costs may be more than your Spyder is worth.

So, here's my recommendation. Don't try to extend your oil change intervals while your Spyder is under warranty.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    Before you get too excited by Bad Dog6's posts, remember he's an Amzoil dealer and stands to profit from your decision. Now I happen to think Amsoil is excellent motor oil, but extending your oil change intervals while under warranty is not a good idea. And here's a few things about Magnuson-Moss that you need to know:

- The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance. I'm confident BRP would treat 9,200 mile oil changes as a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance.

- Consumers may seek redress in the courts for alleged violations of the Magnuson-Moss Act. A consumer who has been injured by the noncompliance of a supplier may bring an action in federal court if the amount in controversy is over $25,000 or a class action if the number of class plaintiffs is greater than 100. If the jurisdictional amount, or number of plaintiffs, do not meet these thresholds, an action under the act may be brought only in state court. Moreover, one of the key aids to the effectiveness of the Act is that a prevailing plaintiff may recover reasonable costs of suit, including attorney fees. So, if BRP decides to void the warranty on your engine and transmission due to extended oil change intervals, you have to take them to court and prove their denial is unfair. Ask Bad Dog6 how many expert witnesses Amsoil will provide free of charge to assist you in the trial. Also, unless you managed to get a sample of the oil before the dealer dumped it in with the rest of his waste oil, it will be very difficult for you to prevail over the expert witnesses BRP will bring to the trial. So, you stand a pretty good chance of losing and your attorney fees and court costs may be more than your Spyder is worth.

So, here's my recommendation. Don't try to extend your oil change intervals while your Spyder is under warranty.
    you forgot to mention a couple of minor points: 1) even if you win, lawsuits of this nature take two to three years 2) lawyers want to be paid up front, 3) expect the other side to subpoena your bike for study--you will get it back when the lawsuit is over.

In short: not worth it.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    I use brp oil and filters.Just picked up 4 quarts of brp oil in Devils lake ND this week for $48.00 icluding tax and picked up a filter at my dealer today for $17.50 including tax so my next oil change will be $65.50 I do it myself
    4 quarts may be a bit less than what you'll need. A full oil/filter change will take about 4.25 quarts. Then you will likely need additional oil to keep it topped off between now and your next oil change.

I recommend getting 5 quarts for the 1st oil change. You may then be able to get away with 4 quarts for the next change depending on how much oil your Spyder uses in-between.

I highly commend you for doing your own oil changes. As long as you're using quality products, you'll be way ahead.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...