Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2 wheel GL1800 Goldwing vs Spyder fun factor question?

After an unintentional get off of our wing, my wife and I are considering our options. I know that we are comparing apples and grapes, and that they are completely different types of vehicles, but the two have enough in common for our purpose.

We currently ride an 08 2 wheel Goldwing which we have upgraded with arguably the best suspension available for the wing (Full mega monte Traxxion $2,800). We ride two up exclusively and in the twisty WV mountains whenever we can. We always obey the laws of physics (well until lately), but consider those pesky mph signs as a nuisance. Straight line top speed not important, but speed in curves is. We are usually 15-20+ over recommended. We have ridden with some very respected good riders, and though we could not keep up when they ran hard, we were still not holding up the group as a whole. Figure somewhere around 7 out of 10 in riding ability overall with consistency being our weak point.
    Having said all that, I have some questions about comparing the 2 wheel Wing and Spyder.

Fun Factor:
    I know that the experience, and ride is very different, but for overall fun pushing each hard in the twisties, how do they compare in overall fun, and how often does the nanny spoil that fun?

Performance:

Given riders of equal abilities in the 7+ range, how well would a Spyder with the best available off the shelf suspension keep up with a 2 wheel wing in twisty mountain roads? Would it keep up, be able to keep the wing in sight, not be embarrassingly behind, or would the wing rider be waiting on the other side of the mountain sipping coffee after he gassed up?

How much would a complete suspension upgrade cost?

How would 500+ pounds of passenger and rider change the comparison?

Thanks for your insights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First of all thank you in posting, You may need to evaluate the spyder, try to rent one and experience what we have. Then you can decide the best for you. Like others I have fun in my in many different ways.

Keep reading all the post of our member and learn from them, I did. Good luck and Ride safe and have fun.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You cannot fairly compare a motorcycle to a trike...
    It's a bit like comparing slingshots and pianos...
    But anyway!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 09-13-2013 at 10:28 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default goldwing

Quote Originally Posted by bug's zedi View Post
    After an unintentional get off of our wing, my wife and I are considering our options. I know that we are comparing apples and grapes, and that they are completely different types of vehicles, but the two have enough in common for our purpose.

We currently ride an 08 2 wheel Goldwing which we have upgraded with arguably the best suspension available for the wing (Full mega monte Traxxion $2,800). We ride two up exclusively and in the twisty WV mountains whenever we can. We always obey the laws of physics (well until lately), but consider those pesky mph signs as a nuisance. Straight line top speed not important, but speed in curves is. We are usually 15-20+ over recommended. We have ridden with some very respected good riders, and though we could not keep up when they ran hard, we were still not holding up the group as a whole. Figure somewhere around 7 out of 10 in riding ability overall with consistency being our weak point.
    Having said all that, I have some questions about comparing the 2 wheel Wing and Spyder.

Fun Factor:
    I know that the experience, and ride is very different, but for overall fun pushing each hard in the twisties, how do they compare in overall fun, and how often does the nanny spoil that fun?

Performance:

Given riders of equal abilities in the 7+ range, how well would a Spyder with the best available off the shelf suspension keep up with a 2 wheel wing in twisty mountain roads? Would it keep up, be able to keep the wing in sight, not be embarrassingly behind, or would the wing rider be waiting on the other side of the mountain sipping coffee after he gassed up?

Thanks for your insights
    i traded in my 08 wing that i loved for a 12 BMW k1600 gtl. not the wing was a great bike and i think it handled great. the BMW i think handled better than the wing and everyone i rode with said that i handeled it better than the wing. i had to sell the BMW due to health issues with my diabetes and my feet. i was afraid that putting my feet down one day i might drop the bike, i didn't want to give up riding so i bought a 13 spyder rt/s with all the bells and whistles. first i will say the spyder takes getting used to, it is not a wing. i am enjoying riding it but i do have a hard time keeping up with friends due to the insecurities i still have but i am sure for the most part i will get over that being i don't ride that much in the heat. i think it would handle the 500 pounds with no problem, me being 300 + pounds myself and it handles great.
    others will have to help you with the cost of the upgrades but i spent 695 on the elka shocks and around 200 on the baharon sway bar. it rt/s already has the air suspension. so good luck and if you are going to keep the wing it will make a nice change off every now and than.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Three wheel vers two wheels

Fun Factor:

Performance:

Thanks for your insights
    I too had a 09 Wing. At first was not sure how to ryde, but have learned very quickly, as will you. The Spyder will keep up with just about all two wheeled bikes. My wife and I ryde together all the time and we have no problems keeping up with other bikes or Spyders. Next question. I have added an after market sway bar, which you could, and it makes 100% difference in the ryde. Hope this helps.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you can rent a Spyder that would be the best way to try one. Otherwise get a test drive from a dealer. The first time I rode a spyder was at a dealer event and I was hooked, I told my wife about them and she wanted her own so I bought her a 2012 RT Limited. I put on the swaybar and can hustle it very well in the twisties. I have a two wheeler and my wife rides the Spyder. My wife had no trouble keeping up with me on our vacation to WV. Wow they have some curvy roads. Good Luck on your choice.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Fun Factor:

Performance:

Thanks for your insights
    2 Wheeler..3 wheeler...not the same...similarities, but not the same. If you are looking for the same, you need to stay with the same...I've ridden 2 wheelers for about 38 years. Went down once--my fault.

I think the Spyder is a much better machine, but it took me 2,000 miles to get used to its pecularities. I never plan on going back....and, by the way, I did not make the switch because of any health, or balance reasons. I made the switch because I just wanted to do so. So, rent one for 500 to 1,000 miles. Then decide. Other options I researched: Goldwing trike, BMW dual sport with sidecar, Harley trike, Lehman aftermarket kit on my victory. I chose the Spyder because I liked it best.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's a bit like comparing slingshots and painos...
    But anyway!
    I do understand that, but even slingshots and pianos have comparrison points.

Fun Factor: Ask any 10 year old boy and he will tell you which is more fun.

I am sure there are a few here who ride in mixed groups who can opine on riding a given route how would one stack up against the other given equal riders and the urge to do it quickly. I am not looking for a fair comparrison, only a relative one. If people here say that you lose all the fun factor, and even hold up the harley riders in the twisties, then I know not to pursue any further. If they say it is about as fun, but different, and it holds it own in speed from point a to point b in the mountains, then I know it is a possibility to look at. That is all I am looking for

Not looking for the same experience, only the same fun factor and hustling through the twisties is an important part of that.
    Last edited by bug's zedi; 09-12-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Last May on the way to Rolling Thunder three of us 2 Spyders and a Harley Dresser ran across US 50 through WVa in the rain. My first long trip and certainly my first trip on twisties like that. It was and interesting and fun morning in the mountains and our Harley friend wasn't complaining about the pace. I'd do it again, hopefully on a sunny day .

Ride and ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's a bit like comparing slingshots and painos...
    But anyway!
    I'm like Bob. It's like comparing oranges to apples or as I've said before Marilyn Monroe to Jane Russel.
    Or for you younger whipper snappers Demi Moore to Melony Griffin?

Chris

arntufun

I do understand that, but even slingshots and pianos have comparrison points.

Fun Factor: Ask any 10 year old boy and he will tell you which is more fun.

I am sure there are a few here who ride in mixed groups who can opine on riding a given route how would one stack up against the other given equal riders and the urge to do it quickly. I am not looking for a fair comparrison, only a relative one. If people here say that you lose all the fun factor, and even hold up the harley riders in the twisties, then I know not to pursue any further. If they say it is about as fun, but different, and it holds it own in speed from point a to point b in the mountains, then I know it is a possibility to look at. That is all I am looking for

Not looking for the same experience, only the same fun factor and hustling through the twisties is an important part of that.

To me the Spyder much more fun than any two wheeler. While your trying to avoid sand, leaves, gravel ect....... we keep on truckin enjoying the view not looking for road hazards. You said it yourself that you took a spill, I don't see any fun factor in that. Anyone who tells you that you will lose the fun factor on a Spyder have no clue what they are talking about.

I'm not trying to be rude but, you seem to have this mis-understanding that the Spyder could not keep up with your Wing in the Twisties. I'm not sure where you got this information from, but it can't be further from the truth.

My advise to you is pull over if a Spyder is coming up behind your Wing or your Harley friends in the twisties because you most likely will be going to slow for them.

Whatever you decide to buy, thanks for checking out the Spyder. It's a wicked nice ride with even a nicer group of owners.
    Last edited by arntufun; 09-12-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Great write up.

First I am going to turn 50 this year and I have been riding a GW for the past 19 years. I have had 3 bad motorcycle accidents. In 2012 my wife and I said it was time to trike.

Well I will cut this short. I have a 2012 Spyder RT SE5 and love it. I can run down any 2 wheel on the road with my Spyder.

I will say you should rent one and keep an open mind on how it runs.

Good luck in what you buy.
    2012 Spyder RT-SE5 Gray 5-31-12 First 5,075 miles on 10-8-12
    NBV kit highway brackets with pegs Bajaron sway bar Lave exh wrap
    Grip Buddies AirHawk 2 His & Her's Walmart Front driving lights
    Spyderpops upper block off plate, belt guard, bump Skid
    BRP
    trailer hitch Napa 6 to 4 wire power converter Ram GPS upper dash
    Baker build air wings the New 3 piece full set Kewl Metal GPS hand bar
    Inspector Gadgets rear mudd flap type, Air deflectors upper & lower A-frame

Spyder Garage

Default comparison

i ride with a good friend who rides a 2009 gw1800 we recently went and did the twisted sisters ride a couple times first was in a light drizzle and second was dry

for information the sisters is a trio of twisted hilly roads that span 128 miles to do the entire ride.

with high inclines steep side walls extremely sharp turns that often carry debris off the side walls in the roads of course there are strait runs also

i was in the lead on my 2009 spyder rs (stock all the way drive line and suspension running car tires) with Tom behind on the gw

on the average on damp roads i was still over the posted speed a lot in the turns

the spyder does not take the fun out of the twisties it does take away some of the danger factor of falling over

i do admit the up hill hard twisties i would pull away from Tom and the downhill he would be all up me the spyder handles a powered uphill twisted climb like a mountain goat strong and sure footed the downhill same turns tend to be a little less surefooted

gw1800 has a lot higher top end than the rs and faster acceleration but the spyder has enough power and speed to out run most of the harleys out there

the second trip through the sisters we were both pulling cargo trailers and we were still over the posted speed limits most of the time

hope this helps i never rode a 2 wheeler but i ride a spyder like a mad man on 3 wheels like tom says i ride my 998 cc very hard and love it

Spyder Garage

I own a 2009 GL1800 and a 2012 RT-S and ride both regularly. I have stock everything on the Goldwing and added Elka Stage 1+, BajaRon Swaybar and Pitt Bull Shock Relocators to the RT-S. The stock 2012 RT-S IMHO was mushy and rolled too much in the curves and the wife felt like she was being launched off the back at each turn and hated riding the Spyder... add the BajaRon Swaybar and like night and day she liked riding the Spyder as much as the Goldwing. I'm 60 and don't care to push either bike when riding 2 up (it hurts my ribs). You do focus on different things when riding each bike in the twisties. By my self I can make the Nanny put the brakes on in a corner. You will want to try all models of the Spyder to see which one suits your riding style.

Go to a Spyder event and you will get information overload and meet a bunch of nice people.

JT

Spyder Garage

Fun Factor:

Performance:

Thanks for your insights

My wife and I both have '12 Spyder RT's. She used to ride a Suzuki and I used to ride a GL1800. There is a world of difference between riding on two wheels versus three, whether the third wheel be located on back or front. I triked the GL but was never happy on twisty roads as it 'plowed' in the turns despite a 6 degree rake to make it easier to steer.

She was first to take to the Spyder and after trying and failing to keep up with her on trips through the mountains, I finally bought one too. There is no question that it takes at least 750 or more miles to get into a comfort zone with the Spyder and trust it to go where you want to put it but even at my (somewhat) advanced age, I still think I could out corner myself back in the two wheel days.

You just have to try it out and that is hard to do because I am not aware of any dealer that will let you test a machine for that many miles. It is a big investment to make. You are just going to have to trust some of the comments on this board and then make a decision.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Fun is in the experience! If you are always worried about putting the bike down I don't believe that is fun! Exciting yes. Spyder can be fun and as exciting as you want without all the worries.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum.

: A test drive is strongly recommended to see if the is going to be a good match for you and the missus. I recommend the RT model since it is most like what you are currently used to.

: You are comparing apples to whatever--so they are not an exact match.

: There is a learning curve on driving a , so I do not recommend putting it through the paces until you are ready. The will easily go 15 to 20 plus posted on most curves and will be able to keep up with or even outdo the performance of some other big tourers. Gas mileage is not going to be as good as you are used to though.

: RE: suspension. That is a personal call and I would not do any suspension upgrades until you get used to the OEM specs. Some people swear by suspension upgrades and some (like myself) are perfectly happy with the as it is.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wad He Say

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I'm like Bob. It's like comparing oranges to apples or as I've said before Marilyn Monroe to Jane Russel.
    Or for you younger whipper snappers Demi Moore to Melony Griffin?

Chris
    ...ah young whipper snappers would be Miley Cyrus to Lindsey Lohan!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the Spyder is a rev happy engine. If you have the opportunity to rent a Spyder for a week end, up shift at 5K or above and down shift no lower than 4K especially if you rent the SE5 version. Keep the revs up and the power isn't too bad once you get used to it. Coming from a GL1800 you may initially think the Spyder is severely under powered. Cruise at 5K-6K rpm.
    2014 Black RT SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    ...ah young whipper snappers would be Miley Cyrus to Lindsey Lohan!
    You're absolutely right although I have hit that stage that I just don't look at any under 30.

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    To me the Spyder much more fun than any two wheeler. While your trying to avoid sand, leaves, gravel ect....... we keep on truckin enjoying the view not looking for road hazards. You said it yourself that you took a spill, I don't see any fun factor in that. Anyone who tells you that you will lose the fun factor on a Spyder have no clue what they are talking about.

I'm not trying to be rude but, you seem to have this mis-understanding that the Spyder could not keep up with your Wing in the Twisties. I'm not sure where you got this information from, but it can't be further from the truth.

My advise to you is pull over if a Spyder is coming up behind your Wing or your Harley friends in the twisties because you most likely will be going to slow for them.

Whatever you decide to buy, thanks for checking out the Spyder. It's a wicked nice ride with even a nicer group of owners.
    So as to leave no doubt about the type of Wing riding I am talking about, please see this:

Not me, but I have ridden with the guy taking the pictures and ride that exact road often. Oh, and he is also on a car tire. Being 2 up we would be slower, but we could keep his tail lights in veiw and not hold him up too much, Unless he really turned it up.

Ideally, I woud want to be able to keep up with these guys. If I can, I am sold.
    Last edited by bug's zedi; 09-12-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cbell1 View Post
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the Spyder is a rev happy engine. If you have the opportunity to rent a Spyder for a week end, up shift at 5K or above and down shift no lower than 4K especially if you rent the SE5 version. Keep the revs up and the power isn't too bad once you get used to it. Coming from a GL1800 you may initially think the Spyder is severely under powered. Cruise at 5K-6K rpm.
    The rev aspect I think I will like. First bike we owned was a C10 Concours,and it sounds like the Spyder is about the same as far as rpm shifting goes. I still regularly hit the rev limiter on the wing when not paying attention and going purely off sound.

arntufun

So as to leave no doubt about the type of Wing riding I am talking about, please see this:

Not me, but I have ridden with the guy taking the pictures and ride that exact road often. Oh, and he is also on a car tire. Being 2 up we would be slower, but we could keep his tail lights in veiw and not hold him up too much, Unless he really turned it up.

Ideally, I woud want to be able to keep up with these guys. If I can, I am sold.

I was going to suggest to fellow Spyder owners that live near you to show you what the Spyder is made of in the twisties, but I quickly knew better. If you ride anywhere near like your friend in the video (even though it's slower than a Spyder in the twisties) you should keep your Wing.

Any "person" (putting it very lightly) that wants to pass cars on solid lines coming to a blind corner where they almost strike a car head on (3:50 mark), I want nowhere near my Spyder friends putting them in danger with that foolishness. That kind of riding might impress 19 year olds, but not me.
    Last edited by arntufun; 09-12-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Angry DUH

My comment was just one word. Stupid

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I was going to suggest to fellow Spyder owners that live near you to show you what the Spyder is made of in the twisties, but I quickly knew better. If you ride anywhere near like your friend in the video (even though it's slower than a Spyder in the twisties) you should keep your Wing.

Any "person" (putting it very lightly) that wants to pass cars on solid lines coming to a blind corner where they almost strike a car head on (3:50 mark), I want nowhere near my Spyder friends putting them in danger with that foolishness. That kind of riding might impress 19 year olds, but not me.
    But aside from your reservations about the passing, do you think a spyder would be able to keep up?

I will only pass when it is safe to do so. The decision on whether it is safe for me does not rely on what is painted on the road but on relative speeds, line of site road conditions etc. I have no problem passing on a double line in open country a car going 45 when I can see 1/4 mile ahead. On the other hand, there are some passing zones I will not pass on in that area because of overgrowth blocking the veiw.
    Last edited by bug's zedi; 09-12-2013 at 04:33 PM.