Thread: Test module?

Spyder Garage

Default Test module?

Is it possible to test a trailer connector module? Can the dealer do that? I've had mine a couple of months and there is no power coming out of it with a good fuse.

Spyder Garage

Cavman, Scotty will have a definitive answer but I suspect you've done the test - good fuse, no power - bad module. Always remember in the field of electronic the transistor will blow to protect the fuse.

Ride and ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Spyder Garage

All you can do is check the various outputs to see if there is power coming out (with a trailer, voltmeter, or test light), check for blown fuses, and check that they do not cause the fuse to blow..especially when the trailer is connected. They are solid-state devices and cannot be tested except for function, and they cannot be repaired. If yours is not working it needs to be replaced. Make sure they did not disconnect it when they serviced your Spyder.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

My trailer has a four way connector. The trailer lights worked after I picked up the bike. A day later, not. Driving home that night from a function, I attached a Power Flare to back of the trailer for following traffic. (www.PowerFlare.com)

One of the members here made up a cable to connect from the Spyder to my trailer connector.

I found the fuse blown and replaced it. Plugged it back up to the trailer and it poped again. After a second replacement I got out the meter. No power at the four way connector to the trailer. Also, no power at the module plug coming out of the saddle bag. So, I guess the module I bought off the Internet is blown.

Thanks for you input.

Spyder Garage

A great many of the modules have blown. I think that is why the configuration has changed so many times. The current square-4 version has a separate module. It is no longer intergrated as a part of the connector. It should be able to be replaced with an aftermarket converter/isolator. I believe Hopkins makes one. You could disconnect your existing module and leave it in place (or find another way to plug the hole), then install a Hopkins unit. You would have to wire it yourself (not plug-n-play), and you would have to be creative in running the pigtail outside the bodywork and connecting it to the swingarm, but it might be a cheaper solution than your dealer can provide.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!