Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guest what?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TokenTwoWheeler View Post
    The point we disagree on is whether or not this is a scam. However, I too won't be pulling any money out of my pocket until I can go to my local Elio dealer, do a test drive, etc.

Again, I would love to be wrong about them, and I wish them the best of luck.

Skeptical they can make a go of it, but hope they do.
    Sounds like we are on the same page. No problem. If I have saved a few people from putting down pre-production deposits, I feel I have done good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Yesterday I went in Seattle and saw the Elio three wheels. I stood in line for half hour to get inside. Supprisingly it got lot of leg room in front seat and with backseat too. A steering wheel and 3 cylinder engine. Definitely not a motorcycle but very good for a practical transportation. This a real competition of our Spyder in someway JMHO. Good thing to come for a US made transportation.
    I will consider to have one.
    Went there too. Was interesting. One of the people where kinda trash-talked the Spyder, but the other was quite interested in my take on the Elio.

I look at them as occupying different niches. The Spyder is my motorcycle. If I got an Elio, it would be as a short-range commuter car. Also something my partner could drive. (she has a spinal fusion and motorcycles are completely forbidden to her due to the helmet).

I'm kinda curious as to how Washington may end up licensing them though. A normal S/TEP class could be overkill for an Elio driver.
    2012 RT-S5, Quantum Blue, "Bitsy". Just starting out.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    it will be competition for the smart car and all those micro vehicles coming out. Jmo
    Would you give up your spyder for an elio...??
    I would get an Elio to go WITH my Spyder, but not to replace it.
    2012 RT-S5, Quantum Blue, "Bitsy". Just starting out.

Spyder Garage

I have traveled the Elio route with and Aptera. The Aptera was about the came design and slated to sell in the high 20's. After placing my bet and letting it ride for a couple of years I realized that it was not going to happen and got my money back. I am somewhat sure that the Elio people will be able to get their money back.

Why they picked the $6800 price point is beyond me. I am not certain you can get a three cylinder engine and sell it for a profit at that price, let alone the rest of the car. A rebuilt BRP 3 cylinder will cost about $4k for a reference point. If they sold these for $15K I would still buy one and I am the tightest guy on the planet. The low price indicates to me that someone did not do their marketing research and that is where the thing begins to smell funny.

But good luck to them. I will still buy two at $6800. I am pretty sure I spent more than that on accessories for my first Spyder.

Registered Users TokenTwoWheeler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatGund View Post
    I'm kinda curious as to how Washington may end up licensing them though.
    Washington state law already covers this: It has more than two wheels, is fully enclosed and has a steering wheel, therefore it is a car.