Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guest what?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Guest what?

Yesterday I went in Seattle and saw the Elio three wheels. I stood in line for half hour to get inside. Supprisingly it got lot of leg room in front seat and with backseat too. A steering wheel and 3 cylinder engine. Definitely not a motorcycle but very good for a practical transportation. This a real competition of our Spyder in someway JMHO. Good thing to come for a US made transportation.
    I will consider to have one.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Did anyone question their advertised price? If so, what was their reply?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Have not had the opportunity to see one up close and personal. I am probably the most vocal member on this subject, and have promised to back off on comments.

I am still waiting to see about actual availability, dealership structure, and price parameters. The 2014 introduction year is now rapidly approaching. If they pull it off, it will be good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default No way..!!

it will be competition for the smart car and all those micro vehicles coming out. Jmo
    Would you give up your spyder for an elio...??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    it will be competition for the smart car and all those micro vehicles coming out. Jmo
    No Way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    No but might have a summer and a winter 3 wheeler
    God grant me the serenity to accept what i can't change, strength to change what i can't accept, and hiding places for the bodies of those who piss me off

full moon soon to be blue

Spyder Garage

No Way
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

For $6800.00 might have to get one for winter pocket changed compared to spyder

http://www.komonews.com/news/consume...222620511.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Did anyone question their advertised price? If so, what was their reply?
    Yes the answer still $6800. Few people put down money on the spot. They have online computer at the show. One person told me, he was 145th on the list. Delivery date start on Sept. 2014.

Spyder Garage

There is a lot of conjecture about this company, owner/designer, and car. Many think it's a scam. From the last reports I read, they don't even have a factory yet. They are only going to make $1K per unit in profit, and coincidently that is the "reserve" cost to get in line for one. Reviews of the owner and company are not good. Pretty iffy, if you ask me. We'll see.
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5

Registered Users TokenTwoWheeler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Actually, they do have a factory:
    http://www.racertrust.org/News/11185

There are several other articles about the plant purchase I found with a quick google search.

Now, someone did try to use Elio Motors to run a scam on Kickstarter, but Elio Motors complained, and Kickstarter shut down the scam.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TokenTwoWheeler View Post
    Actually, they do have a factory:
    http://www.racertrust.org/News/11185

There are several other articles about the plant purchase I found with a quick google search.

Now, someone did try to use Elio Motors to run a scam on Kickstarter, but Elio Motors complained, and Kickstarter shut down the scam.
    Well, not yet per this article (posted 2 hours ago). I think the hold up is that the city/state wants $200K earnest money and that is why Elio is selling "reserves" for $1K per unit, hoping to get 200 pre-sale commitments. It seems this story changes daily, so who know what will happen. http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...lant-after-all
    2013 RT Ltd. SE5

Spyder Garage

It wasn't Elio, it was Lit Motors and the C-1 that was being "kickstarted" by someone who wasn't actually involved with Lit.

Spyder Garage

Starting a business like this can't be done on a shoestring . . . look what happened to DeLorean . . . I wish them luck, as I think there is a market for this . . . but they have a long, tough, road ahead.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wetmountainman View Post
    Well, not yet per this article (posted 2 hours ago). I think the hold up is that the city/state wants $200K earnest money and that is why Elio is selling "reserves" for $1K per unit, hoping to get 200 pre-sale commitments. It seems this story changes daily, so who know what will happen. http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...lant-after-all
    I've done a bunch of reading (I won't bother with the links), and it's more complicated than that. The parrish (county in the rest of the USA), is effectively the second bidder on the plant. Elio has 30 months to come up with 7.5 million to complete the purchase. Failing that, then the plant belongs to the parrish, and the pant gets scrapped. Several months ago, the scrap value was estimated at 8.5 million. Copper prices have gone up significantly since then, so the scrap value is even higher.

For the parrish, this is a win-win. Either they get a bunch of jobs in their area, or they get a ROI of over a million.

Sucks a little for Elio.

Spyder Garage

I am a big fan of anything with three wheels. If Elio can deliver these for $6800 I will take two. My years of experience as a production manger and Manufacturing engineer say the numbers are not going to add up. I know nothing about producing a over the road vehicle.

Spyder Garage

My opinion, which I failed to make clear, is that I do not think Elio is a scam. Rather, I think it is something worse: A company whose aspirations are too grand, and thus dooming the company to failure.

I would love to see them prove me wrong by making a go of it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I still like them to be successful, 1. it will be a US made, 2. Jobs for us not from foreign soil, 3. I want one.
    Lets get this company the benefit of the doubt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Yes the answer still $6800. Few people put down money on the spot. They have online computer at the show. One person told me, he was 145th on the list. Delivery date start on Sept. 2014.
    Sorry: Couldn't help but jumping on this. We have now went from early spring 2014 to September 2014. Are they going to extend it again after that?

145 people on the list? At $1000 apiece or less--they now have $145,000 in the bank towards their project. I am guessing that does not even come near paying the CEO's annual salary. Oooops--there I go again.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sorry: Couldn't help but jumping on this. We have now went from early spring 2014 to September 2014. Are they going to extend it again after that?

145 people on the list? At $1000 apiece or less--they now have $145,000 in the bank towards their project. I am guessing that does not even come near paying the CEO's annual salary. Oooops--there I go again.
    Looks like they have well over 1400 deposits worth 1.4 million!

http://elio3wheel.com/vb/showthread....-Numbers-Guess

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Looks like they have well over 1400 deposits worth 1.4 million!

http://elio3wheel.com/vb/showthread....-Numbers-Guess
    Went to the thread above. It looked like the person writing the reply said his "prediction" was 1400 deposits.

Even with 1.4 million--that does not give them the 7.5 they need for the plant start up mentioned earlier in the thread. I think the CEO salary is getting bigger though.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Even with 1.4 million--that does not give them the 7.5 they need for the plant start up mentioned earlier in the thread. I think the CEO salary is getting bigger though.
    The 7.5M is not plant start up money, but outright plant ownership. As I understand the situation, they can start up the plant now, but if they fail to pay the money in 30 months, they may be booted from the premises, and the plant torn down for scrap.

Keep in mind, the earnest money that people are putting up front on the car is probably not operational capital per se, but rather proof of interest in the car to get venture capital funding from investors.

The picture for Elio isn't as black as some people are painting it, but Elio certainly has their work cut out for them.

Spyder Garage

The 7.5M is not plant start up money, but outright plant ownership. As I understand the situation, they can start up the plant now, but if they fail to pay the money in 30 months, they may be booted from the premises, and the plant torn down for scrap.

Keep in mind, the earnest money that people are putting up front on the car is probably not operational capital per se, but rather proof of interest in the car to get venture capital funding from investors.

The picture for Elio isn't as black as some people are painting it, but Elio certainly has their work cut out for them.
    I have made several comments that the ball is now in Elio's court. They are undertaking a very large project. You are right that the venture capitalists need to be impressed enough in order to cough up the necessary funds to get the project rolling. We have seen this develop over a period of about three years. The production date keeps getting moved up another 6 months whenever the deadline gets close. The information is still very sketchy. Look up information about the plant, check with the Chamber of Commerce in the Louisiana town, try to find information other than advertising hype about the project--it does not seem to be there. I spent the better part of a day to find everything I could about Mr. Elio, and all of the above. I came up NOT knowing more than we all know from postings on SL.

I have already made several arguments about the red flags so will not belabor them here. I still say, I am wishing them luck, and hope they succeed in a project such as they are proposing. No deposits or money though, until I can go to my local Elio dealer and look over the color selection, etc.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I still say, I am wishing them luck, and hope they succeed in a project such as they are proposing. No deposits or money though, until I can go to my local Elio dealer and look over the color selection, etc.
    The point we disagree on is whether or not this is a scam. However, I too won't be pulling any money out of my pocket until I can go to my local Elio dealer, do a test drive, etc.

Again, I would love to be wrong about them, and I wish them the best of luck.

Skeptical they can make a go of it, but hope they do.