Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Which model of Drop Tail trailer recommended?

Just joined your ranks with our '13 RT Se5. What fun! Ready for first service on it today. But, it is 1 inch wider than door to our enclosed utility trailer, so:

Really like the Drop Tail trailer to pull behind our Sedona, but which model would be best fit for weight, storage, and size? There is a listed utility type SST 2200-02, a pst2200-01 (also same 60x105 deck), a two up dsst 2200. Looks like some have a mesh deck, more expensive an aluminum deck. Is that the only difference and does it make that much difference?
    JC Whitney seems to carry some-decent price-free shipping. Any one dealt with them?
    Thanks for more info

Spyder Garage

Not a drop tail but ALUMA makes some great trailers for hauling Spyders. I use a 6810 and know others that use a 7210 or a TK1.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's one that's always a favorite... and it's for sale by one of our own!
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...AST-for-Spyder
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default 7210

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Not a drop tail but ALUMA makes some great trailers for hauling Spyders. I use a 6810 and know others that use a 7210 or a TK1.
    I use the Aluma 7210. Here in The Peoples Republic of California (dig on government was intended) there are laws about trailer brakes. We have to have trailer brakes if a trailer and contents exceed 1,500 pounds. The Aluma 7210 weighs 460, the Spyder weighs 960, and the ramps weigh 30. The total is 1,420. So I don't need trailer brakes.

I put aluminum rails along the side and the front so I won't scuff the nose or fenders in case I get careless when loading.

The 7210 leaves a few inches at each side, and a few at the front and back. I use two 6' ramps for the front wheels, as the gate is 4' and you need 69" to raise the front due to the low clearance. I bought the ramps from discountramps.com--the cheapest 6' ones they have, and they are great. If you do this, make sure you buy ramps that are 12" wide. The tires are wider than you think, and aligning the ramps, if you get them "just wide enough" could end up being a challenge. You don't want to drive your Spyder off the ramps!

One problem I did have, was once it was raining just a little. The front tires went up nicely, but the rear tire skidded when it hit the ramp. So I put friction or skid tape on the ramp, just where the ramp touches the ground and up about 6".

So, how do you farkle an aluminum trailer? Well, everywhere I go, I buy a tin sign. I then use self drilling screws to attach it to the trailer. If I can figure out how to upload pics, I'll show you later, but I'm not sure how to do that from my iPad.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan_Ashley; 08-26-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default Forgot to say....

You gotta hitch the Aluma trailer to the car before you load the Spyder. The trailer is so light, the front will jump up if you don't hitch it up first.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default Aluma UT 10

Is perfect fit for a RT Ltd. Stowable ramp, a pretty good size storage box built in and a includes a stone guard and plenty of tie down points. LED lights and full size wheels and tires.

See:
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    You gotta hitch the Aluma trailer to the car before you load the Spyder. The trailer is so light, the front will jump up if you don't hitch it up first.
    My 20' enclosed 2800-lb (empty) Wells Cargo Cycle Wagon bounces when I load without hitching first. I never realized it until recently I was loading my Goldwing and noticed that the neighbor's house was bouncing up and down when I glanced out the side door while loading. Assuming there was no earthquake in the area at the time, I deduced that I was bouncing the trailer front. The trailer has feet in the back that can be lowered & locked to give better stability when loading, so I started using them.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Saw the Aluma and it is sweet, but, I really need the "Drop Tail" brand because of its ability to be stored in upright position on casters. Don't have enough room for others. Just wonder how important to have the deck covered rather than open, especially for strength of trailer itself. Price difference is $600- $800 between the different DropTail models that have a 106" deck.

Spyder Garage

Default Solid deck....

Quote Originally Posted by Vrooom View Post
    Saw the Aluma and it is sweet, but, I really need the "Drop Tail" brand because of its ability to be stored in upright position on casters. Don't have enough room for others. Just wonder how important to have the deck covered rather than open, especially for strength of trailer itself. Price difference is $600- $800 between the different DropTail models that have a 106" deck.
    I like the solid deck because it keeps the Spyder cleaner while I'm on the road.....I know that is kinda silly because the bottom side gets dirty when I drive it anyway. But this way I can transport it on gravelly or salty roads without psyhologically phreaking!
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default California Veh Code--Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    if a trailer and contents exceed 1,500 pounds. The Aluma 7210 weighs 460, the Spyder weighs 960, and the ramps weigh 30. The total is 1,420. So I don't need trailer brakes.
    Dan
    I was asked for the calif veh code section. Here it is...
    V C Section 26303 Trailer Coaches and Camp Trailers

Trailer Coaches and Camp Trailers

26303. Every trailer coach and every camp trailer having a gross weight of 1,500 pounds or more, but exclusive of passengers, shall be equipped with brakes on at least two wheels which are adequate, supplemental to the brakes on the towing vehicle, to enable the combination of vehicles to comply with the stopping distance requirements of Section 26454.

Amended Ch. 1536, Stats. 1971. Operative May 3, 1972.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Forget about what the law says; it's just plain good sense to have some brakes on a trailer that's hauling something as large and valuable as your Spyder.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We got the full deck droptail. Didn't want the front tires riding on the expanded metal. We bought the two bike set-up because that is what the dealer had. Same trailer as the utility version with added rails and chocks. Rails aren't a problem and chocks come off in 5 minutes.

pretty much requires two men to stand the trailer up. Am thinking about putting a chain hoist in her garage so she can handle it.

Tying it down by the wheels takes some ingenuity.

Spyder Garage

Default Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Atonic View Post
    Am thinking about putting a chain hoist in her garage so she can handle it..
    She?
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default Flash Gordon

I have a droptail trailer, and I agree the covered floor is most desirable. It folds up and I store it in my garage. I have a chain hoist that I use to lift it up to place it on the wheels and the two swivel rollers that lock in place when you store it. It pulls well, and you do not need any brakes on the trailer. It weighs about 620 lbs. and the Spyder 900 lbs. It pulls a lot easier than the 6'X12' enclosed trailer that I used for my Harley. It did not have any brakes on it and I never had a problem. I used it for 6 years. It did not leave enough room for me to comfortably use it for my 2013 RT-L, so I sold it and purchased a droptail. I had a friend that purchased one and used it for a trip from Central Fl. to New Jersey and back and he was very happy with it. My Certificate of Origin calls it a Model SST2200.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Atonic View Post
    We got the full deck droptail. Didn't want the front tires riding on the expanded metal. We bought the two bike set-up because that is what the dealer had. Same trailer as the utility version with added rails and chocks. Rails aren't a problem and chocks come off in 5 minutes.

pretty much requires two men to stand the trailer up. Am thinking about putting a chain hoist in her garage so she can handle it.

Tying it down by the wheels takes some ingenuity.
    I am in the market for a Droptail. Can you tell me the model of Droptail that you bought? Why so hard to tie it down?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Question for Flash G.

Where did you purchase your SST-2200? Dealers here in Ohio don't seem to know what a Drop Tail Trailer is! Have found them on ebay (only some models) and a few online parts stores. Convinced now to go with a floor model and glad to hear it fits your RT, as we have the same. Would even like to see one before purchase, but seems that will be a stretch.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vrooom View Post
    Where did you purchase your SST-2200? Dealers here in Ohio don't seem to know what a Drop Tail Trailer is! Have found them on ebay (only some models) and a few online parts stores. Convinced now to go with a floor model and glad to hear it fits your RT, as we have the same. Would even like to see one before purchase, but seems that will be a stretch.
    Website appears to be the place to order. Looks like nice trailer.
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Default droptail trailer

I bought one in feb. 2013. used it once to haul spyder to spyderfest 2013 about 650 miles ea. way. it is very well made and follows great. being a short trailer it is hard to back up. I pull mine up the drive from the backyard with my lawn mower to hook up to the car. I bought the 2 up trailer with just 1 chock. talk to CLAY at drop tail trailers. he was very nice to work with. I bought my over the from him but had it shipped to a local Harley dealer. that saved about 400 or more dollars in fgt. cost. I will be using it again in oct. to haul to thunder beach in panama city. I used 3 axle straps . one on each wheel and hooked the rachet straps to each axle strap. just be careful not to scratch your wheels. good luck with your choice. if you need more answers shoot me a pm. vince morris.

Spyder Garage

Default I'm a Droptail Trailer owner.

I, too, spoke with Clay at Droptail. He was very helpful and informative. He explained to me that the trailer is in the parts catalog that the dealers have (part # 775660). I shopped both a Yamaha and Harley dealership. At Yamaha, they looked at it as a "unit" and discounted it very little. At Harley, because it was in their parts catalog and I was a HOG member, I got 15% off. I saved $500.00 and there were no shipping charges. Set-up and delivery included. A week later I picked it up.

I bought mine (two-up cruiser/sport bike trailer) late last year (Black Friday) when I owned two cruiser motorcycles. Other than loading the bikes on it and driving through the neighborhood to "try it out", I sold my bikes and bought my Spyder before my first trip. Oh well... I loaded my friend's Spyder on it to see if it would fit (and it did) before I took it to pick up my new Spyder. Then, I rode my Spyder home... in the rain!

I haven't yet figured out how to secure the Spyder on the trailer. I'm still working on that. Although, it does fit nicely in my garage.

Good luck in making your decision. And remember, shop around, the price is negotiable!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I have the DropTail trailer also. They have great customer service. I purchased it new in May of this year. Finally went to use it a couple of weeks ago for a long trip. I lost a light before the 600 mile mark. I purchased a cheap one at a truck stop and called DropTail from my destination. They sent a new light second day to me. I got home and lost the new light, it appears that the hole was cut a little big for the light. Called them back and they sent a new fender with the light installed. I also ordered the larger stone guard for the front. I ordered the straps from CustomTieDowns.com. I was able to specify the strap lengths. I ordered the 6 inch fixed ends. This still seems a little long for the front wheels.DropTail.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for replies. Have decided to go with the deck model. Will be possible to haul other stuff when needed. Also talked with DropTail sales for more info. Sounds like chock not necessary. Now will ck around for pricing, wish I qualified for that Hog member savings!