Spyder Garage

Default Wind & Head Shake

I have a 2008 GS I have tryed different windscreens but still have a lot of wind on my shoulders and arms, I think that is the main cause for the head shake.

I welcome any suggestions because I don't enjoy any long highway trips.

Thanks in advance
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Default Windscreen Height?

Is your windshield set at the correct height? Mine is set so I can see over the top of the windshield an inch or so. That pushes most of the air over my head. When using my narrow sport windshield, I still get the wind on my shoulders and on the sides. When using the wider windshield in the cooler months, much of that is eliminated.

Spyder Garage

Default where o where..!!

it'all in finding the right height.. They make an add on adjustable deflector that may do the trick for you. Wish I could remember who..sorta like my msr touring...20130220_114612.jpg Though this one may be short for you. Try twisted throttle where I got this one...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

There is more to the right windshield than its size. The Madstad bracket and/or windshield is adjustable, and can help you lick the head buffeting. It may take a lot of tries to find just the rest combination/position. Sometimes a different helmet helps, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd agree that it has more to do with your helmet. Some helmets are just plain horrible at any speed and even worse on the highway. What lid are you wearing?

I could never do a windshield on RS. Just never worked for me personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried just cracking you helmet's visor open a little bit? That sometimes helps to smooth the airflow up over the top...
    Otherwise you'll most likely be back to playing with different windshield heights and rakes...
    Good Luck! Please let us know what you find that helps out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

+1 for the helment fittment. We had quite a bit of helmet shake. We finally determined that our helmets were too big and after we got smaller ones the head buffeting went down considerably.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem at any speed 60 or over with my 25" shield. Then I installed a windshield vent from Rifle and am glad I did. This was with a Gmax full face modular helmet. Life was good.

http://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Windshie...-Vent-Kit.aspx

Then when I got my real helmet Id been waiting for(Reevu modular) I started getting a little more buffeting at freeway speeds so now Im experimenting with this Laminar Lip at the top of the shield. Not happy so far but I like the looks of it. Cant really tell a difference at either height Ive tried. I think the whole windscreen mounting location is too far away from the driver. I notice if i lean forward all the head bobble goes away.

Heres a pic of them both. I would go with the Rifle vent. Maybe mount it slightly higher than I did might work a little better.

Last edited by daltmeyer; 09-07-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Spyder Garage

For me: I have an RT. i like the windshield down when in town. On the freeway, I prefer it up, it seems to cut down on wind buffeting my head. However, the longer I ride, the less I seem to care about the windshield location. I think maybe my neck muscles are getting stronger. Maybe.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daltmeyer View Post
    I had the same problem at any speed 60 or over with my 25" shield. Then I installed a windshield vent from Rifle and am glad I did. This was with a Gmax full face modular helmet. Life was good.

http://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Windshie...-Vent-Kit.aspx

Then when I got my real helmet Id been waiting for(Reevu modular) I started getting a little more buffeting at freeway speeds so now Im experimenting with this Laminar Lip at the top of the shield. Not happy so far but I like the looks of it. Cant really tell a difference at either height Ive tried. I think the whole windscreen mounting location is too far away from the driver. I notice if i lean forward all the head bobble goes away.

Heres a pic of them both. I would go with the Rifle vent. Maybe mount it slightly higher than I did might work a little better.

Does your touring windshield help keep the wind off your hands in cold weather? Thinking of buying one for this winter.

Spyder Garage

Yes it does Jimsta. Not totally but at least it breaks the wind and gets it moving so your hands dont take the full brunt of it. One of the reasons I went with this shield.

I figured to at least put my sport shield back on in the summer but it has really saved me on some long trips from super heavy rain that lasted for days. Especially since I tend to not plan a trip and just run off without much of a plan or destination I keep it on.

I put some Baker Air-Wings on to give me more air when I need it as this shield block a little too much wind in nice hot weather. Works like a charm.
    Damon

2009 RS SM5 13,000 mi
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09 110 mi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    +1 for the helment fittment. We had quite a bit of helmet shake. We finally determined that our helmets were too big and after we got smaller ones the head buffeting went down considerably.
    Very common. Studies show that 70% of riders are wearing a helmet at least 1 size too big for them. For example, Jay Leno was wearing a helmet 2 sizes too big (also very common).

If you shake your head with your helmet on and you can feel it moving on your head, it is too big. I went on several 'Motorcycle Down' calls where the helmet came off the riders head. This is common when the helmet is too big.

A good, aerodynamic full face helmet is less susceptible to buffeting than other models.

IMHO, the right helmet is much more important than the right windshield. I have a short windshield on my 08 GS and I love it that way. East Tennessee to California twice, Florida, Canada, whatever. Love long distance riding. I have motorcycles for the wind. When I don't want wind I use my car.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-08-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember to that most full face helmets are designed for the "sport bike" riding position. We are in that "sport touring" position on the RS. Sounds silly but it does make a difference, especially at higher speeds.

One thing to try: when riding at speed crunch your shoulders up to the bottom of your helmet. If the noise and wind get noticeably better your helmet is to big or isn't fitted correctly.

Also, Some helmets just suck and buffet due to a crappy design....haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    There is more to the right windshield than its size. The Madstad bracket and/or windshield is adjustable, and can help you lick the head buffeting. It may take a lot of tries to find just the rest combination/position. Sometimes a different helmet helps, too.
    I wear an ICON Airframe helmet. My three previous helmets were a Shoei X11, Arai Quantum E, and AGV something or other, so I've had some good helmets for comparison. I consider the ICON the equal of the Shoei X11 (considered by many to be the best in the market......now superseded by the X12). The Shoei flows air better across the top of my head, and might be a tad quieter than the ICON. The ICON is hands down, the most aerodynamic helmet I've ever owned. To my surprise.......................all the "boy racer" spoilers and appendages do work! Having said that; I too find the wind protection of the RSS to be pretty much non existent. I'm 6'2" so my head and shoulders is definitely stuck "up there" in the wind on my RSS. My new 24" Madstad windshield is supposed to arrive tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to it! They're pricey, and if you want the kit there isn't any alternative (that I could find) to the factory; but I've read several first person reviews in this forum, and they all really liked theirs. Good luck! BTW: Good point by DrewNJ about the shoulder hunching . I've done it too (don't tell anyone!). Cessation, or significant reduction of wind noise with this highly regarded and technical "test", MIGHT indicate a helmet that's too large. In my case; it indicates a small gap between the bottom rear of the helmet liner cheek pads and the bottom front of the neck roll pad; allowing air to rush up into the helmet and create noise. All the other helmets I mentioned above do the same thing. If you really want to test your helmet for fit; put it on, and cinch the strap down good. Shake your head up and down, and side to side moderately hard (DON'T do it so hard you your neck up!). If your helmet is slipping around on your head at all.....................it is too big, or you need larger pads inside it (if your helmet has replaceable pads).
    Last edited by Flanker; 09-08-2013 at 08:45 AM.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We just did 425 miles yesterday and my new Calsci tinted short windshield worked great! I wear a Vega Summit 3.0 Vcom helmet which fits very snug and is by no means the top of the tier helmets. I think you need some clean wind hitting the helmet to prevent the bobble or you need no wind at all. For the RS-S it's going to be hard to prevent all the wind from hitting you so I think it's better to get a shield that blocks the wind off your body but allows some clean wind to hit your helmet. IMHO
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I Have a full HJC Helmet and have never had an issue with head bobble but during the cold months my hands are frozen. Switched to straight leather and it helps but would like to block the wind with the the touring shield since it has hand guards.

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I haven't rode in the winter yet with the spyder but I was going to look at getting some heated gloves. I think I would be happy with some battery powered gloves since I probably won't ride in very cold weather anyway living in Texas.
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod