Spyder Garage

Default Don't want to tow my RT-622 with a Sea-Doo, but ....

I wish it was a little more watertight. On our first trip with the RT-622 we had a good day of rain. When I opened the front lid I noticed some wet items along the sides, and that the carpet was wet. When we opened our nylon suitcases, everything inside them was wet up about 3 inches from the bottom. I could push down on the lid on both sides and there was some travel before it seated against the gasket.

Dealer adjusted the hinge and lock, but still did not seat very well. New lid on warranty, and it seats better, but still leaks on one side, not quite as much.

Dealer was told that most front lids don't seal evenly all around. I have not seen this complaint on the forum and wondered if anyone/everyone has leakage? Can the gasket be reinforced in some way to seal better?

Put something exciting between your legs--ride a Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Default replace gasket

the gasket is an automotive type gasket and can be replaced since they did not glue it in place check the web for thicker gaskets.
    Rick11Flor practicing for retirement. Everyday is a new day and I try to live it to the max.
    We (DW and I) travel to distant lands three or more months per year now looking for a Outlaw to take the Spyder along.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bertmc View Post
    I wish it was a little more watertight. On our first trip with the RT-622 we had a good day of rain. When I opened the front lid I noticed some wet items along the sides, and that the carpet was wet. When we opened our nylon suitcases, everything inside them was wet up about 3 inches from the bottom. I could push down on the lid on both sides and there was some travel before it seated against the gasket.

Dealer adjusted the hinge and lock, but still did not seat very well. New lid on warranty, and it seats better, but still leaks on one side, not quite as much.

Dealer was told that most front lids don't seal evenly all around. I have not seen this complaint on the forum and wondered if anyone/everyone has leakage? Can the gasket be reinforced in some way to seal better?

What year is your 622? Some early models were not watertight and there was a fix released to upgrade and seal the tops. We took both of our 622's back to the dealer for this upgrade.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I don't have a trailer, but back in the day when the kids were small and I had a car top carrier, I always put everything in plastic trash bags before I put them in the carrier. Often found water in the carrier, but the contents were always dry. It was a cheap fix for a leaky carrier.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

My 2013 RT-622 trailer sat in the rain we got at the Owners Event back in June and I don't remember anything getting wet.

Tony
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest
    Lamonster Lid Lock
    Baker Air Wings Luggage Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 Rt-622 and once they came up with the gutter to drain the lid I didn't have any problems with rain water. But almost every trip I have a wet floor from either a cooler leaking or the cap coming off a gallon jug of water.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hayfield's right; packing in plastic makes it a non-issue...
    And you ALWAYS can find a use for a trash bag!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    What year is your 622? Some early models were not watertight and there was a fix released to upgrade and seal the tops. We took both of our 622's back to the dealer for this upgrade.
    It's a 2012, delivered in March 2013 from the factory. Hopefully has the latest upgrade.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hayfield's right; packing in plastic makes it a non-issue...
    And you ALWAYS can find a use for a trash bag!
    Sure, trash bags were the obvious solution for the next 14 days. What a hassle! And should not be necessary.

I always get frustrated when any of my touring bike luggage leaks, and for the last 30 years and 6 touring bikes (Yamaha, BMW, Honda & Can-Am) very few pieces have.

Really great trailer except for the leak.

Spyder Garage

Mine leaks, too, and I have never been able to cure it completely. The front lid is wide and flexible enough that the corners evidently lift at speed. Without being stiffer or having latches at each corner, I suspect there is no hope. Using plastic bags is easier than fiberglassing a reinforcement into the lid, so we will just live with it. Most of the time we get by since I adjusted it, but at freeway speeds or in strong winds the thing still wants to leak. I have it adjusted so tight that you have to push on it to open it if it is sitting in the sun.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I believe in zip lock instead of trash bags. If you do not have a trailer, the clothes can be compressed and take up lots less room. Tee shirt, shorts, socks go in a bag for each day. Clean up, put dirty stuff in same bag.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Unbelievable

Sorry, but I just can't believe you guys are willing to accept that your trailer leaks and are willing to correct it with plastic bags!! I know your trailer cost somewhere around $3500 to $4500 depending on when and where you bought it. For that kind of money I would really be steamed if the trailer leaked. I have an old Lil' Caboose trailer that I have hauled around 15,000 miles in all kinds of rain and have never had a leak and I only paid $500 for it and it tracks like it is not even there. Most RT622 trailers that I have followed seems to be constantly swaying and I have asked riders that have followed us and they have always said mine is very stable and no swaying or wobbling. I would expect BRP or the dealers to come up with a solution for any leaks other than plastic bagging all of your things.

........Just saying!!
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Seems pretty stupid that a $4000 MC trailer would leak. If I had one and it leaked, I'd be really pissed.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”